Accused shooter's poems evoke his daily routine, scenes from Mauritius
Jared Lee Loughner is accused in a deadly shooting at a constituents meeting in Tucson, Arizona, held by U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.
January 11th, 2011

Accused shooter's poems evoke his daily routine, scenes from Mauritius

Jared Lee Loughner, the man accused of shooting 20 people Saturday at an Arizona political event, attended a poetry class last year at Pima County Community College, a man in the class said.

Student Don Coorough provided CNN's Special Investigations Unit with copies of two poems purportedly written by Loughner for the spring semester class. They have been transcribed below with the same spelling and line breaks as the original copies.

Meat Head

Awaking on the first day of school
Pain of a morning hang over
Attending a weight lifting class for college credit
Attempting to exercise since freshman year of high school
Crawling out of bed and walking to the shower
Warm water hitting my back
Eureka

Thoughts of being promiscuous with a female again
Putting on a old medium red tee shirt, light brown cameo shorts, and black Adidas
For breakfast a glass of water, cold pepperoni pizza, and two Advil
Bringing my Nano Ipod with heavy metal music
Taking the local bus on a overcast morning
Waiting with crack heads after their nightly binge
Bus is cheap, two dollars for a ride anywhere in the city
Sitting in back against a hard plastic seat
Staring at stop lights, brand new cars, and graffiti
Coming to a slow halt in front of the school
Entering the gym as the glowing florescent lights are humming
Next to the treadmills, putting a green foam mat on the ground
Stretching for fifteen minutes, loosening the muscles in my legs, back and arms
Cleaning the mat with anti-bacterial spray and a paper towel
Jogging for ten minutes, my heart beating, beating, beating
Pain in my right side of the last minute of twenty
Looking around, the cute women are catching my eye
Probably waiting for their hot boyfriends wandering in the locker room
All the men are in shape with their new white tank shirts, basketball short, and Nike shoes
Confusing look on my face of no idea what to do
Deciding to copy other men's routines of
Arm Curls, Leg presses, Rows, Squats, Military something's, and Isolated whatever's
65 minutes
Leaving the gym thinking
Waiting for the bus with alcoholics that are going to the bars early
Coming home for another shower
While grabbing the white towel, the eureka moment is lingering
Quick nap and lunch is on my mind
Setting the alarm one hour before getting ready for my next class
Getting into bed

Falling asleep

Dead as a dodo

On the island of Mauritius a heavy storm is leaving.
In the fields of the ancient wild forest a wild field of mushrooms is growing.
Snails and grasshoppers are ready for the warmth.
The old grass growing with lizards are jolting for crickets while snakes looking for lonely mice.
Falcons are flying for pray.
Shallow light Blue Ocean shimmering at each wave as the black clouds are rolling.
Waves are lapping.
Fisherman on the reefs are casting their poles.
In warm water a pack of clown fish are floating.
Tiger sharks are swimming free.
Steel drums beating in the distance.
The full moon slowly setting for the sun is rising.
At the local cemetery there is weeping.
The dodo is finally dieing.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Gabrielle Giffords
  1. Boston guy

Bad poetry isn't a crime.

January 12, 2011 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. tolstoy

Lovely poems. Seriously, he was talented. Terrible way to get published.

January 12, 2011 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Shakespeare

Please, tell me you’re being facetious. This drivel is a far cry from anything that could be considered poetry.

January 12, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. jojo

Hmmm, here's a bit of news from Mauirtius Island – I wonder if there's a link?????

January 12, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
    • The Narrow Sighted

I'm glad you made the connection. He said in a few days we would know he is a conscious dreamer. Get plugged in.

January 12, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. The Girl in the Field of Dreams

Nick- are you a critic? I'm not defending the psychotic, mind you; but Christina wasn't the only one, and he wrote more than the names of his victims. He's a sick son of a _ _ _ _ _, but he also left his mark on his parent's hearts. To them he is someone and he meant something.

I doubt anyone could ever forget coming face to face with a monster.

January 12, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. historymike

May I have my two minutes back, please? There was absolutely nothing newsworthy about this lame college freshman poetry, unless "the dodo is finally dieing" is supposed to be some metaphor for the Tuscon killing spree. Which I doubt.

January 12, 2011 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. scab

Hickory Dickory Dock
    This nutjob pulled a Glock...

January 12, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Peter

I am so sick and tired of wingnuts. "He's a Lib"..."He's a Tea-Partier"...."He's a Lib"...."He's a Tea-Partier". Wingnuts have exactly ONE argument for everything. That it is all the fault of "my political opponent". Gradeschool nonsense.

January 12, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
    • TP Snow

Amen.

January 12, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bucho

there's nothing all that interesting about this. it's just terrible poetry written by a college kid.

January 12, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. Syko

Nick, i couldnt agree with u more. As well as with those against CNN publishn thhis BS!

January 12, 2011 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. J. Cash

According to friends who knew Jared prior to the massacre, Jared Loughner was jewish and "left wing, quite liberal ". Jared supported J. Kerry for President in 2004 and likely voted for Obama in 2008.

January 12, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

However regarding that issue if this is yet again another topic about this guys political leanings Giffords was a Highly conservative Democrat, a Blue Democrat if you will. You know one of the sort of Democrats that voted with Republicans fairly often?

So can we end this aspect of the "Political Motive"? It's quite obvious in my opinion Laughner was politically charged. I do not understand the labeling of this matter whats so ever. Its just another blame game for our societies short commings. Demonizing people with psychological problems and writing them while defending a political position. American are quite the dissapointment as of late.

January 12, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mark

All you guys referring to "Psychotic", "Nutcase" and other derogatory language is cruel. There are many imbalanced people in the world. Look no further than most all you're favorite Celebrities, Artists and Musicians. It is clear this boy needed help but demonizing people with phsychological disorder's is cruel and odd's are like myself many have a disorder mentally. I am an artist and musician and never been violent, I contribute what I can with a mind that makes people laugh, think and feel. Laughner is a guy that went wrong and had he used his mind for something positive you all would deplore him as briliant and a contributor to society. Unfortunatly this is far from the case, he lost hold of hs mind and needed help that is obvious, but demonizng people with psychological problems is completely wrong, foul and inhuman. You ask where is his humanity and I ask you... Where is yours?

January 12, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  12. Terry - Indiana

and the purpose for publishing these poems is....?

January 12, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. emunadate

See video on Israel security…
    We need to find better security to protect our people. Maybe we can learn from Israel. They have the best security in the world....

January 12, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Craiggers

They are also perpetually at war, just like us!

January 12, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. Charles - NC

What sickens me the most is that the media is giving this guy a platform at all? We the public don't "need to know" about his poetic (and I use that term loosely) ramblings. This is exactly why people do these sorts of things, because they know it is going to give them their 15 minutes of fame. There is nothing to be learned from reading anything this guy wrote. He committed a horrific crime- let's give him his execution method of choice and be done with it.. Media: Stop glorifing this man and providing an outlet for him and people like him. It only makes these types of crimes more attractive for those willing to commit them for the sake of notoriety.

January 12, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jonathan

My analysis is that he is a virgin envious of good looking men, secretly wanting to be with them since no woman in her right mind would have anything to do with him. He likes hurting small animals and dreams of torturing women since he wishes desperately he was one and desires the hot men at the gym.

January 12, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |