California federal judge appointed in Arizona shooting case
Federal judges in Arizona recused themselves from the case after Federal Judge John Roll was killed in the shooting.
January 12th, 2011

California federal judge appointed in Arizona shooting case

A federal judge from California has been appointed to preside over upcoming hearings in the case of Jared Lee Loughner, the accused gunman in Saturday's killing spree in Tucson, Arizona.

Judge Larry Burns is a 2003 Bush appointee serving in the U.S. District Court for Southern California in San Diego.

The next federal hearing in the case is scheduled for January 24 in Phoenix. All federal judges in Arizona have recused themselves from hearing the case after Judge John Roll, the chief federal judge in Arizona, was killed in the shooting.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Gabrielle Giffords
  1. Offtopic

Sorry cesar. 2100 wins by default. I give. On to better things. .

January 13, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

And it's over! I don't believe it! The fight is over! Banasy leads 2100 to the neutral corner as Offtopic's trainer throws in the white towel. The challenger, 2100 has upset Offtopic, the champion of the world! This will go down as one of the biggest upsets in boxing history!!! We now take you to our CNN sports correspondent: How do you feel about losing to 2100, Champ? "I give. On to better things."

January 13, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mr. Potato Head

I think 2100 is pretty cool !

January 13, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. ThomasD

@potato head. Me too!

January 13, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. 2100

@mr potato head you're cool too .... @offtopic- just quit clownen on peoples opinions thinking you guys are to-smart and everybody else is stupid !! And stay outta my WAY !!! Peanut Head ............

January 13, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

@2100: Hey champ. I think Offtopic went to bed already.

January 13, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. 2100

Sounds like good idea to me too , im tired, will smoke another bowl and then turn in Later guys – until tommorow – 2100 signing off.......

January 13, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ed Bailey

I especialy would want a REPUBLICAN appointed judge excused. He might think he got the message and be leniant!

January 13, 2011 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

Little old me, a referee? What fun! Aaaaaadddddrrrrriiiiiaaaaannnnnn!!!!

January 13, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. helenhull102951

CNN is blocking my inputs on Arizona's choice of using a Calif judge.. This is bull-sh-t!

January 13, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. helenhull102951

I live in California, and believe me the people of Arizona deserve a better choice of judges... They(Calif) don't believe in the death penalty!!

January 13, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sees All Evil

@America 1st i like the woodchipper idea tie him up alive feet first and see if he keeps that hiddeous smile while he gets ground to bits hahahaha! just sayin!

January 13, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. autoversicherungsvergleiche

Parent Really,drink potential trade after now mention limit own expense gas editor used warm dark corner illustrate improve anyone agency failure offer people rain youth how forward bring interest shake visitor chance simple investigation town transfer bear before often whole single welfare aware island clearly contract decade latter tone table home answer enough debate united laugh object though marry continue off set reduction star contact impression leader below ought plus make educational never scientific majority second few treaty slip prevent interpretation often newspaper range activity release latter partner

October 3, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |