Father: Organs of youngest Tucson victim donated to 'little girl in Boston'
January 14th, 2011

Father: Organs of youngest Tucson victim donated to 'little girl in Boston'

The father of Christina Green, the youngest of six people killed January 8 at U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' meet-and-greet outside an Arizona supermarket, told CNN Friday that some of his daughter's organs "went to a little girl in Boston."

"It was very poignant to find out. That's what Christina was all about," John Green said. "It's a blessing."

Asked whether he and his wife would like to meet the girl who received the organ one day if she were willing, John Green said, "Oh yes, and I'd give her a big hug."

On Thursday, Christina's family, friends, classmates and hundreds of mourners filled St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church in Tucson for a funeral, all of them passing under a giant American flag that was recovered in the aftermath of the terror attacks in New York on September 11, 2001 - the day Christina was born.

Dozens of mourners paid their respects by standing outside the church, which was at capacity.

Representatives from professional baseball also were in attendance. Green was the daughter of a Major League Baseball scout and the granddaughter of former baseball manager Dallas Green.

The girl's father was the only speaker. Before the tearful crowd, he spoke directly to his departed daughter: "Christina-Taylor Green," he began, "I can't tell you how much we all miss you."

"I think you have affected the whole country," John Green said.

Pink and white flowers, along with pink bows, adorned the church. The University of Arizona choir sang "Ave Maria." Family friend Katy Martin sang Billy Joel's "Lullaby." "Goodnight, my Angel, time to close your eyes," the song began.

Christina, 9,  had recently been elected to the student council at Mesa Verde Elementary School, and a neighbor, impressed with Christina's civic interest, took her to the event to meet Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Tucson resident Jared Lee Loughner, 22, is facing federal charges in the January 8 attack.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Crime • Gabrielle Giffords
  1. kenny

This is cool. our creator Jehovah god will shorly have a spot reserved for her in paradse.

January 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Vince

To those encouraging organ donation, I say, right on, guys. I'm a senior citizen, plus a few years, and have been in the program since it began. My only hope is that my aged organs will still be of some use, if only to prolong life until permanent ones are available. To those still uncertain, I canonly ask, why? If you intend a burial, nature will take its course, and they'll be wasted. If you are to be cremated, as I am, what's the point of including useful organs? Think about it. My late wife had a liver transplant in 1986. It gave her 16 more years of life. I'm still thankful to the unknown donor.

January 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. shelby

Earlier today I ready a comment which ended with a very touching line that went something like this..."I wish I could take some of your pain and put it in my heart"...I can no longer find it under the 427 comments listed. Does anyone know who said it and where I can find it again? Thank you...

January 15, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mimijanecr

My daughter, Janet Lynn Ritchie-Holder, 36, died July 29,2001 from an anurythm bursting in her brain. She went for hours before the hospital finallly decided to do surgery the next day. After overcoming so many things that we had been told others never even got to the hospital alive. She also was moving her body and looked so very healthy after her 9 hr surgery even though they were keeping her in a coma so her heart n brain could heal. She was trying her best to stay alive.She has two sons who were at that time 7 and 9 years old.Three days after the anurysthm surgery and off all tubes, during the night she had a blood clot in each of her carotid arteries and was declared brain dead. Her Heart was given to another young mother, her liver n two lungs were also given to others. Not having her in our lives has left a huge hole that cannot be filled except w/love. I personally, as well as her sister, miss her wonderful life n personality. She blessed many in our community by the person she was to everyone she met. We still have the wonderful memories of tremendous fun we all had together, and her boys who are now wonderful young men in college n high school, continue to hold her close to their hearts. Something good can always come out of tragedy if we hand it over to God. I sense her presence with me over and over and try to live up to her desires for my life. I also would like to meet the recipients of her transplants someday. j.ritchie

January 16, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. mundonrewind

a jenuine spirit no wonder it was needed back in heaven God rest her beautifull soul ,console and bless her family in this hard times and thank you for theyr kindness

January 16, 2011 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. da funkee 1

This bright star born on a tragic day left in a tragic way. But her parents who were obviously sufferings the greatest pain imaginable saw fit to bless another life from their loss. No wonder that girl was special. Her parents raised her well and continue to do so in her memory. Bless them, Christina and tje life they saved.

January 16, 2011 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. JRT

I also wish to send my comdolences to the family of Christina Green, she is in God's loving arms now. I was also brought to tears when i heard of her loss and once again when I heard about the donation of her organs to save another's life. This in itself is a great selfless act and I applaud Christina's decision. She is the bravest young lady that I have ever read about.. I also want to send condolences to all the others who suffered a loss in this tragedy as well.

January 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ABP

This little girl is still teaching a lesson to us all. Requiescat in pace dear Christina

January 16, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jonathan Swartz

Christina Green is a HERO, but to her parents she was always a hero! Organ donation is a wonderful thing! It saves many lives! On September 11, 1999, my grandmother passed away of old age. On September 11, 2001, many lived ended, but on that same day, a HERO was born!

Miracles happen all the time. Some are recognizable by people, some aren't…..but they DO happen never-the-less! I would like to share a miracle that happened to my family over a year ago. I am not posting this to brag. I'm posting this to let people know that there IS a G-d! That He performs miracles all the time. These are 2 YouTube.com links. IT IS NOT SPAM NOR is it a VIRUS! Nobody is obligated to click this. It is your choice! Feel free to click if you like.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LNLDlZO1Ck&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTMpVVf-zU&w=640&h=390]

January 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. M L

Strange.

A DOA body cannot give organs, it's just not done
    This child was DOA in Tuscon, and her organs went to Boston?
    I talked to a transplant nurse, in the business for 20 years
    DOA organs are NOT TRANSPLANT MATERIAL

Does anyone research anymore? Think?

Just a bunch of deception by leadership and secrecy

April 4, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. Justamom

If you're in middle school, aren't you too young to post here?

January 14, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Charles

You must be a very unhappy individual. I hope you find peace.

January 14, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pat

That little girl has done more in her short time on earth than 100 of you will ever accomplish

January 14, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jaintn

I'm not sure you're in middle school or if you're just being obnoxious because you, and only you, find yourself amusing. Either way though, I'd bet big money you live in your Mom's house.

January 14, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. WhoKnewIt

Schlamp96 I feel quite sad for you. You must have a miserable little life if you cannot see the good that came out of something so tragic. I'll pray for you...

January 14, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |