Tucson victim Dorwan Stoddard's funeral set for Sunday
January 15th, 2011

Tucson victim Dorwan Stoddard's funeral set for Sunday

A funeral service will be held for Dorwan Stoddard at 2 p.m. (4 p.m. ET) Sunday at Calvary Chapel East in Tucson, Arizona.

When a gunman opened fire at U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' meet-and-greet January 8 outside a Tucson supermarket, witnesses said Stoddard, a retired construction worker, was trying to shield his wife, Mavy, when he was shot in the head and fell onto her. Mavy was shot three times in her legs but is expected to recover.

Stoddard's daughter Penny Wilson, who wasn't at the event, told reporters last week that her mother has confirmed the account. "He heard the shots and covered my mom with his own body and protected her and saved her. Mom definitely felt that way," Wilson said.

Another daughter, Angela Robinson, said that Mavy didn't know she was shot until she arrived at the hospital with her husband. She is still recovering in the hospital.

The couple, who were childhood sweethearts, attended Mountain Avenue Church of Christ in Tucson. Dorwan helped those in need and was a handyman for the church, the pastor told CNN affiliate KGUN.

"Didn't write any books. There are no streets named after them. There is no monument to them, but their impact in the community of Tucson will last a lifetime," the Rev. Michael Nowak  said about the Stoddards.

"They were inseparable. You saw one and you knew the other one wasn't far behind. That will be a whole other life for her, so I'm afraid it will hit her harder down the road," Nowak told KGUN.

Tucson resident Jared Lee Loughner, 22, is facing federal charges in the January 8 attack.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Crime • Gabrielle Giffords
  1. Seb

No words for this man who shielded his wife from death, dear Sir you are a hero in my book and I know I would do the same!

January 16, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. terry

Lets prayer for all the victims even jared god will judge him not us

January 16, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. msvicki

such a sad incident. innocent lives taken. this man saved his wifes life by covering her.

January 16, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. JAE

Not many men would do what this man did for his wife. THAT IS LOVE FOLKS.

January 16, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. xochilt

Mr Stoddard, you have shown us the meaning of true and selfless love! sir you are a true gentleman in every sense of the word! I just pray that the Lord grants your loved ones the strength to accept what cannot be changed and the strength to endure all the pain! God Bless you all!

January 16, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. Name*runt 1948

GOD knows what happened and what will happen in the future. this wonderful man is walking with a king right know and setting up a place for him and his wife. it too bad the boy will not get to go to that heavenly place and do the same. instead he will go to HELL!

January 16, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. J.B.

Line. With all the due respect , didn't JESUS say " for all who drow the sword will die by the swore"? jered lee loughner doesn't need fingers pointing at him . he needs guns pointing at him . you pray for him all you want ,but for what he did ,justice is going to let him have it.

January 16, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • msvicki

this young man was sick and needed help. his classmates noticed his strange behavior. there are people out here, millions of them, that need psychiatric help that they do not get. and one day just snap out like this man did, taking innocent lives in the process. I am surprised this guy did not shoot himself in the end.

January 16, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mikola

Courage and bravery are hard to come by. He had them both. Mr. Stoddard is and will remain a hero.

January 16, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. msvicki

a real man he was, some men would have been like "every man for himself".

January 16, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. wanna a blue name

can I have a blue blog name if I dont work for cnn?

January 16, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. J.B.

Guest ,don't ask what the guy you are going to marry can do for you ,ask what you can do for that guy . LOL ,and you will be ok :);-)

January 16, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. arch

I wonder why there wasn't more about this man's heroic moves to save his wife. All we have been hearing is how this person held this person's hand, etc. This was a very very tragic event. If the people who knew this young man needed help would have helped we would probably not be talking about laying this man to rest. Our mental healthcare sucks. Everybody loses in this type situation. I only hope and pray that we have learned something from this and it will help prevent something like this from happening again. Mr. Stoddard is truly a hero. He didn't think of himself and gave his life for his wife. I pray that he rest in peace and that she recovers fully and is able continue knowing that she was truly loved and that he will be watching over her forever. I hope her family stands strong beside her and is always there in the days, months and years to come. I'm sure the city will give out awards for this and that concerning the events of this happening. I hope that they remember Mr. Stoddard and give him an award. This might help his wife cope with his death.

January 16, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. Pditty

Now that is a Man! What a great example of courage love and sacrifice. That family will tell his story for generations to come. I hope the two of them are reunited in their younger bodies in heaven some day.

January 16, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. jeremiah

You know you all should be ashaMed of yourselves, I give great respect to the man protecting his wife,and my heart goes out to the family

January 16, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • msvicki

I know Jeremiah, I feel for the innocent lives taken and the families. that had to have been an horrific scene.

January 16, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  15. msvicki

Fack the firing squad...too quick. In the words of mr. Wallace, Jared needs to be visited by "a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' n-–s, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch..."

Interestingly put, but I get your point. May he rot in prison. No what is it like to be beaten day after day. He is sick and really needs psychiatric help. his past actions have proven that. I am surprised he did not go on a shooting rampage while in school, like some do. who knows what goes on in the minds of these young men. like the Columbine and Virginia Tech. incidents. These young men all killed themselves as well. Our society can not commit all of the thousands and thousands of sick people walking. this young mans father tried to stop him. he knew something was not right, but lost him, when he went after him. I know to this day, he is wishing he could have caught up with him and maybe have stopped him.

January 16, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |