51 dead from flooding in the Philippines
A man rides on a water buffalo in a flooded palm oil plantation on the southern Philippines island of Mindanao on January 4.
January 16th, 2011

51 dead from flooding in the Philippines

Some 51 people are dead in the Philippines after weeks of intense rain caused severe flooding across the Asian nation, the country's national disaster agency said early Monday.

Rains continued to linger over much of the the island of Luzon, with land around the Visayan Sea and the eastern island of Mindanao also experiencing significant precipitation, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management
Council said in a statement.

Those killed, ranging from ages 1 to 80, died from drowning, landslides or electrocution, according to the disaster agency.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Philippines • Weather
  1. raven

I agree ,he cracks me up sometimes . Youve also made me laugh . And to the COL ... I hate to be argumentative , but youre wrong ,caribou DO exist , I know because I saw them on my roof with Santa . He said to say hello .

January 17, 2011 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. glo

Not to get off the subject or anything,my daughter in law is from Luzon she was telling me that it rains there alot. It seems flooding has become a global thing. rrBrazil, Australia, and other places have been hit hard, There have been more natural diasters than ever, I pray for these victims and their families,

January 17, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. vhc

What a bunch of morons you all are. To take such a serious news item and turn it into your personal circus is just sick.
    Have any of you ever heard about global warming or the El Nino or La Nina weather patterns?
    My God ...... Go read something

January 17, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Vechey baby! nat geo and animal channel isn't exactly an eye catcher!

January 17, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • tomcat

sooooooo...After reading your so informative post, what is it that you wish us to read? Maybe the fact that NOAA admits to faulty data and temp. reporting? How about the amount of emissions produced by China and India is off the charts? Even look at our own government that pumps more money into big oil, than into building more solar panels that would in turn create more jobs and less economic down turn. And then there is Al Gore. Last time I checked I do not believe he has a Phd. in climatology. Also the new catch phrase " Climate Change". that in itself is redundant as the climate always changes. I suggest maybe you do some reading and educate yourself. Maybe "Wreather for Dummies".

January 17, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. tomcat

sorry..Weather.

January 17, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

We have pine beetles up the ass thanks to warmer overall temperatures here in Colorado. I don't need a thermometer to know of this, I can simply view the thousands and thousands of acres of dead forrest. Global warming is real. Puny little men didn't cause it, though mankind's pollution has taken what would have been a pleasant crossover and turned it into a most violent one resembling some of your favorite action-adventure movies' worst scenes.

January 17, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

@tomcat. Since the industrial revolution, water has been taking longer to evaporate. For over 100 yrs, scientists from around the world have been recording this 'pan-evap' rate, and have found that our pollution gives shade, causing water to evaporate more slowly even though temperatures rise. It's a real catch-22 situation. No wonder there is no hurry fixing it. It can't be fixed. Nothing can stop the earth from becoming a paradise again. Not even our pollution.

January 17, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. raven

I do read , thank you . I just prefer not to battle my OPINION out on every single post . And although it sickens me to think of how we humans pollute our air ,soil and water , I think the planet will go through all the dramatic changes its gone through for millions of years before we showed up and will continue to go through when we're gone . its a cyclical thing that we CANT change .

January 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

Sorry Philip , didnt read your comment before i posted mine and I basically said the same thing only far less eloquently . Wasnt trying to minimise what you said by butchering it .

January 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |