NASA astronaut injured in bicycle accident
Mission Specialist Tim Kopra was injured in a bicycle accident Saturday.
January 16th, 2011

NASA astronaut injured in bicycle accident

Injuries from a bicycle accident could change a NASA astronaut's duties on Space Shuttle Discovery, the agency said in a statement.

Mission Specialist Tim Kopra was injured in a bicycle accident Saturday, NASA said. The agency said he "will be OK," but did not release further details, citing medical privacy.

However, the agency said the impact the accident would have on Kopra's shuttle duties "is being evaluated."

He is scheduled to be on the Discovery mission to the International Space Station, slated for February 24.

Kopra was selected as an astronaut in 2000, has previously been aboard two shuttle missions and spent one tour of duty on the International Space Station.

Post by:
Filed under: Space • U.S.
  1. Sarah

Can somebody please go after these fake money making charities like Red Cross, Unicef, World Vision & others. They collected billions of dollar all over the world for Haiti & the situation is worst then ever. These blood sucking charities all got rich & most their employees are living lavish lives with huge bank account balances. I beg anyone in a position to find out where the money went & to get it back ASAP to save those poor dying people. All those who took this money for themselves, all of you are murderer of innocent people. Hell is waiting for you!

January 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. waldo

***i don't get it how did the astronut fall from a bike. He. Can drive a space ship but not a bike. Can somebody explain to me sara I'm sorry they steel the money I know u feel bad. And the bike how can he fall.

January 16, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. who me

@waldo I agree how the hell can he be so smart and can't ride a bike wow I mean he must be all brain

January 16, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. waldo

***yea all brain.

January 16, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. what the hell

Lol that's the biggest joke I've ever heard

January 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. look out

Its an astronutt on a bike

January 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

So he fell off a bike! So bloody what! If he's being evaluated, it's because he mat have been injured! Even Lance Armstrong has fallen of a bike or two..whoopee! D'ya think this dude is the six-million-dollar-man? Do you think he's being held in a hermetically-sealed chamber until his mission? And what does falling off a bike have to do with his ability to perform his duties as an astronaut? Oh, that's right...NOTHING!!! Yeesh!!!

January 16, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RUFFNUTT

i had a bick accident one time. i was riding on my bike and had my purple bong in my hand, well my bowl went out and had to relight it, then when i was taking a tok and trying to light it i hit a bump and the wheel turned and i wrecked.. luckly my bong didnt break but my weed spilled all over and i skinned my hands up.

January 16, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. look out

Banasy can't ride a bike that's why he is defending the astronutt

January 16, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RUFFNUTT

sometimes me and my friends go and visit other planets, we put stick em up glow in dark stars all over the living room and i have a black light, we also put the glowing stars on the celing fan.. anyways we lock the doors and smoke up till were in outterspace then we make our own episodes of star trek. sometimes we get the stroblight out and go into hyper-space.

January 16, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. COL. BAT GUANO

A waste of money? What in THE hell are you talking about? It's the only thing we SHOULD be spending on!

January 17, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

At least he wasn't on a skateboard. (shrug)

January 17, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. ThomasD

Sometimes I think CNN runs these stories just to give us something to do. I mean, I guess its in some way important that an astronaut fell off his bike. I don't know. .

January 17, 2011 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. Banana Seat

let this be a lesson to all of you! Always wear a helmet!

January 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shuttleguy

As a result of his accident this last weekend, Tim Kopra will be unable support the scheduled launch of STS-133. Steve Bowen will be assigned to fly in his place. Steve's previous EVA experience will allow him to quickly come up to speed for the mission, and MS2 duties will be redistributed among the crew. This will allow for all mission objectives to be accomplished as originally planned in the current February 24th launch window. If for some unanticipated reason STS-133 slips significantly, it is possible that Tim could rejoin the crew.

January 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |