Nancy Grace’s goal: Find 50 people in 50 days
January 17th, 2011

Nancy Grace’s goal: Find 50 people in 50 days

Nancy Grace's new show, "Nancy Grace: America's Missing," debuts tonight on HLN.

Nancy is dedicated to finding missing persons in the United States.  The program, which relies heavily upon audience participation, urges viewers to find people as well as bring attention to victims whose stories never made it to the airwaves.

Nancy and her team are utilizing social media, CNN iReport, phone lines and their show to achieve the goal of finding 50 people in 50 days.

Tonight’s debut program will feature the case of  Lindsey Baum, a 10-year-old girl from Washington state who went missing in 2009 as she walked home from a friend’s house.

CNN spoke to Nancy just prior to the show’s live premiere.

CNN: What inspired you to focus your show solely on missing persons?

Nancy Grace: Well, you’re in the news business just like us - although I don’t really think of myself that way, I think of myself more as a prosecutor - and our news cycle chews somebody and spits them out every 24 hours. And I get it. I’m not trashing that because there’s more news to report that people want to know, need to know and should know.

I understand that you can’t stay with a case forever. You’ve got to pick up and move on to the next group of people that need your help. But this is a real chance to go back and pick up those pieces and put them back together again.

When I was prosecuting, I got the satisfaction of being called in on a crime scene, helping to analyze and process the scene, investigate it, take it to the grand jury… after conviction, take it myself to an appeals court and argue it. I could see the end. I would take the case to fruition.

We don’t get to do that. We cover cases as long as there’s news, and when there’s not news anymore, we move on to cases that have news, more people that need to be found. Many of them stick in my mind and in my heart; and my EP [Executive Producer], Dean Sicoli, same way. And my staff, same way. We saw this as an opportunity to try and go back and look at the cases that remain unsolved and try again.

CNN: Does each installment of "America's Missing" focus on one missing person?

Grace: Yes, exactly. 50 people in 50 nights.

CNN: Are you featuring both missing children and adults, male and female?

Grace: Oh yes. We’re across the board.

CNN: Did the missing persons have to have gone missing recently, or is there no timeframe?

Grace: Absolutely no timeframe. In fact, tonight we may lead off with the case of a female child who’s just gone missing and then go into the main story that we’re covering just so we can get it out there.

CNN: Do you think the show's "beat the clock" sort of mentality will stir up a sense of urgency regarding cases that otherwise may have gone forgotten?

Grace: We hope so. That’s our goal.

CNN: If someone has a loved one who is missing, what can they do to get their story out there?

Grace: They can contact us. That’s actually how we found out about many of these cases. Just e-mail me or call the show [1-877-NANCY-01]. If people have cases, or know of cases, that no one’s covering - we’ll cover them.

CNN: What would you say to someone with a missing friend or family member who has lost all hope of finding their loved one either because too much time has passed or due to grim statistics?

Grace: I always use examples; for instance, Elizabeth Smart. Also, in a case that we covered recently, a little girl got taken along the eastern seaboard but a viewer saw her in California with her abductor who was panhandling in front of a 7-11. A woman called in and sure enough it was her [the missing girl]. She was found alive! It does happen!

And I would also tell anyone: Don’t just rely on law enforcement. They’re just as overloaded as everybody else in this world. They’re just as swamped. You get out there, you make the difference.

And, frankly, what’s more important than that is what you do up front when it comes to letting your children play outside or letting your children play unsupervised. Avoid a missing child incident before it happens. For instance, we did the HLN digital fingerprinting. Have information on file and ready for police if they need it. To this day, in my own neighborhood, I see children walking around from one place to the next by themselves. That’s not okay. Also, be careful at pick-ups and drop-off locations at school and after school activities.

Of course there’s always the aberration. Remember the Erin Runnion case? Her daughter, [5-year-old] Samantha Runnion, was right there in the front yard with the grandmother inside looking out the window and she got taken out of the front yard. It does happen, but a lot of this is avoidable. There are ways to protect, and that’s the message I want to get out.

"Nancy Grace: America's Missing" airs at 9 p.m. ET immediately following Grace's other program, "Nancy Grace" on HLN.

1. Keith

I believe Nanacy Grace should be a disgrace to the Journalist Profession

July 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • RAY

I agree 100%. I despise that wannabe talk show host. She has a lot of nerve criticizing others.

July 5, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keith

Anyone that watchs this helmet heads new show need to have their head examined.

July 6, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

thank god Nancy Grace isn't a Journalist....she preaches her own Gospel...i would hope everyone
      can see through that!

July 9, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Keith

Nasty Grace is obviously out of cases to sensationalize. So let's come up with another show for her to shove that hateful ugly face into the screen. I hope you are fired Nasty and that we never have to look at you or people like you again on TV or anywhere. You belong in jail for attempted murder via media. Three years of it. And the very idea you don't do what you do for money like your Tot Mom BS. You are a sick individual lady. A bleach blond, helmet head, traitor to this countries legal system. HLN would do well to fire your hind parts.

July 6, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Keith

Nasty Grace doesn't have Casey Anthony to pick on or attempt to murder via media. She's desparate to find another case to sensationalize. Make some more big bucks on. She cares about as much as the man in the moon. Nasty is about the MONEY people. I flat wont watch her sicko program and I hope people see her for what she is and wont either.

July 6, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. alan

can casey sue nancy for the tot mom reference/?? cannancy crawl back under the rock she came from

July 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nancy THOMPSON

IAM VERY DISAPOINTED ABOUT THE CASSEY ANTANY CASE AS I HAVE BEEN FOLWING THE CASE WHEN LITTLE CALEY WHET MISSING AND TOT MOM WENT TO VIDIEO STORE WITH BOY FRIEND I NEW THAT SOMETHING WAS WORG WHEN THEY HAD SERHERS OUT LOOKING FOR BOTH OF THEM WERE MISSING KNEW THAT CASSEY HAD MURDERD HER LITTLE GIRL SO SHE COULD HAVE HER LIFE THE WAY SHE WANTED IT IS SO SAD THAT CALELY CAN,T GROW UP NO FRIENDS SHE WAS TAKEN BY HER DAM MOTHER AND MURDERD SUCH A WASTE OF THE LITTLE GIRLS LIFE. I KNOW THAT CASSEY BE SORRY THAT SHE CHOOSE TO TAKE CALEYS JUST SO SHE COULD GO ON HAVEING A FUN LIFE SHE WILL HAVE TO BE A COUNTABLE FOR HER ACTIONS I HOPE SHE ROTES IN HELL.

July 7, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sandie

CNN have you lost your mind? Are you trying to dumb yourself down to a Fox News Bill O'Riley level so that you get high rating from the uneducated population? CNN was the first 24 hour cable news network. The American public had such respect for CNN until Nancy Grace! Did economic conditions push you to start HLN the National Enquirer news network? Shame on you CNN for allowing Nancy DisGrace to flap that crude disrespecting yap of hers! People like Nancy allow emotions to rule over logic! I don't care if she quotes the first amendment I have a feeling our founding fathers did not have the likes of Nancy DisGrace in mind. Please, take this women off the air. She is offensive, ask the people of Duke University!!!

July 7, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Sheryl

Are you kidding, Nancy Grace and Bill O'reilly have more brains than the 12 idiot jurors that let this killer go.
      Nancy Grace is a woman who is angry on behalf of the injustice of Caylee Anthony because she cares about people and she cares about children and justice. How can you criticize someone who gives so much effort on behalf of victims? Are you mentally ill? look at the evidence in this case , it overwhelming. Anyone with any common sense would respect her for what she does but like DR Phil says, "Common sense just ain't that common anymore." Carry on hating on Nancy if it makes you feel better but more likely than not there is more personal issues going on with you than your hatred for Nancy. you will never influence her true followers who by the way has a Master Degree.

July 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jamie

I love Nancy Grace. She's tough & smart. She's totally RIGHT about that anthony woman.

July 7, 2011 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Mae

I agree with you Jamie , Nancy is smart & tough and I hope she never leaves CNN/HLM. I like how she speaks her mind and knows what she is talking about. I also believe that if Nancy and her team did put on their boots and went to search for baby Caylee that they would have found her remains. Just a feeling.

July 7, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jason Holden

A new Nancy Grace! Horray, a whole new list of innocent poeople to point the finger at!

July 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason Holden

Tonight on CNN: Nancy Grace goes inside the Salem witch trials. Claims Tot Mom will not sink to the bottom when you tie rocks to her feet.

July 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sheryl

I respect Nancy Grace, she is rght Casey is guilty.
    Casey searched Chloroform 84 times and neck breaking before Caylee was missing.
    The chloroorm was in the trunk and matched the chloroform on Caylees skull, also the hair matched.
    Casey borrowed a shovel from a neighbor. Casey smurked at the news that stated they found bones at a park and went
    to her cell but when the news came out and gave the location of the Caylees remains, she was upset because she knew where the body was. I think its sad she is getting a 1 million dollar deal and think that money should go to Zenaida and the police dept that used their resources at the expense of her lies. Casey's release is a tragedy and the Jurors have to be the dumbest individuals in America. Nancy is there for the children iand victims. Your either with her or against her and if you are against her your no better than the preditors out there. Casey is a killer who manipulated even the jurors and is laughing at how stupid they are. if you lose a love one or a child, you would want someone lie Nancy to have your back. I would.

July 10, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |