Winfrey: Losing baby as a teen was 'my second chance'
January 17th, 2011

Winfrey: Losing baby as a teen was 'my second chance'

In the inaugural interview on "Piers Morgan Tonight," talk show queen Oprah Winfrey recalled contemplating suicide at 14 because she was pregnant, and how she feels she was given a second chance when she lost the baby.

"I thought, 'Before the baby was born, I’m going to have to kill myself,' " she told Piers Morgan during the interview, which aired on CNN Monday night, citing the stigma of being an unwed mother at the time, and her father's view of unwed mothers.

Her mother in Milwaukee sent her to live with her father in Nashville, and he didn't know she was pregnant.

"My father ... said to me as I'm standing in the kitchen listening to him, 'These are the rules of the house, you're going to obey the rules, you have a 10 o'clock curfew, and I would rather see a daughter of mine floating down the Cumberland River … than to bring shame on this family and the indecency of an illegitimate child.' "

She said she didn't come close to killing herself - "I did stupid things like drinking detergent and all that kind of crazy stuff that you do when you’re trying to get attention when you’re really just trying to cry for help," she said.

"But this is my 14-year-old self. I don't even know what I thought the plan was going to be. ... You're having a baby out of wedlock, your life is over. So when the baby died – the baby was never brought home from the hospital – when the baby died, I knew that it was my second chance.

"So I went back to school, and nobody knew. Because had anybody known at that time, I wouldn’t have been able to be head of student council. I wouldn’t have been able to be speaking champion in forensics. … I wouldn’t have been chosen as one of the two teenagers in the state of Tennessee to go to the White House conference on youth. None of those things would have happened, and the entire trajectory of my life would have been different."

She discussed the baby and the suicidal thoughts after being asked whether any part of her wondered what would have happened if the child had lived.

Winfrey also discussed how her heart was broken twice, why she is not one for marriage, what she intends for her fortune when she's gone, and how she wishes everyone would have a Gayle King in their life.

Morgan's show takes over CNN's 9 p.m. ET time slot from longtime CNN host Larry King. The show's first week continues with Howard Stern on Tuesday and former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Wednesday.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity
  1. zan24

Judge not, lest thee be judged! Wow....so many negative people! Why not change all that negativity into positivity about EVERYTHING for everyone (yourselves included), to enjoy living in a happier world. It should be noted that "what you give out you receive".. and "what you think about you become" . Collective thoughts are very powerful, so they may as well be positive happy ones! Instead of "bagging" Oprah – why not try and emulate many of her attributes, including giving back to society, in proportion with your capabilities. :-0)

January 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Margaret Cabral

When I miscarryed in 1991, I was most unhappy about losing my baby. That was a very unhappy time for me
    and it still is.

January 19, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Barbara

Second try: The coldness and nonchalance about stillborn baby at age 14, shown by Oprah who I hold in usual high esteem troubles me insofar as she regarded the baby's demise as her "Second Chance". What about the baby's rights and chances after the drink of detergent?

January 19, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. outawork

"when the baby died, I knew that it was my second chance" – Oprah is a sad sad person

January 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Kath

She drank detergent.

January 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. New New

As someone who had a child at 14....I felt many of the same feelings that Oprah did. I understand that feeling of hopelessness, not being able to go to school with your peers, the shame of being a pregnant teen has devastating effects on a child, especially a child carrying a child. My son was born in 1986 and there was a still a stigma attached to teen pregnancy (as there should be). I went on to graduate from highschool and college. Currently working on a Master's Degree. I am happy to say that I too am a SURVIVOR,

January 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Reuben

It's all about me! Sad. She's almost as narcissistic as the other O from Chicago.

January 19, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Meaghanek

Man, do I hate Oprah–and what she did to Discovery Health!!

January 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jane

Yup. Motherhood sets us back.

January 24, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sandra

Let those without sin cast the first stone!

January 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Kim

I cannot help but wonder how the baby died. Was he a preemie? She also never refers to him as "son". A little strange and heartbreaking.

January 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. cindy

My kids and grandkids are so special, a gift from God! I can't image anyone being glad she lost her baby. She does not know what she missed out on!!!

January 28, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Kalvin Grey

Burn in hell, Oprah. Your soul belongs to the Devil.

January 29, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. annamarie

What a disgusting person.

March 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. why cant I get pregnant

Attractive element of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to claim that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you get right of entry to consistently quickly.

April 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply