Bloody, naked body found in Ohio shed
Police in Columbus, Ohio, investigate the discovery of a bloodied, naked man in a garden shed Monday.
January 18th, 2011

Bloody, naked body found in Ohio shed

Police in Columbus, Ohio, are trying to identify and retrace the final hours of a naked, bloody man found dead in a backyard garden shed.

Someone had knocked on neighbor Dennis Hoover's door at midnight, but Hoover refused to open the door because he couldn't see the man, he told CNN affiliate WBNS-TV.

Hoover called 911 but police could not find anyone, the station reported. Bloody handprints were visible on Hoover's door in the morning.

After daylight, Hoover followed footprints in the snow into a neighbor's yard, where he discovered the bloodied body in the shed.

"He was covered (in blood). It looked like he went through a briar patch," Hoover told WBNS. "Just scratched all up."

Investigators were hoping an autopsy would tell them who the man was and how he was injured.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Ohio • U.S.
  1. questions?

sounds kinda off ??????????? why did'nt the victim go to neighbors door and knock- instead of the shed to bleed to death???????????? THINK ?

February 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. questions?

Don't know about you but if I went out my front door and saw bloody footprints - I would be back on the phone telling the cops, Hey I called last night about someone pounding on my door & you guys did'nt check it out good enough cause there are bloody footsteps in my yard and you all need to get here NOW !!!!!!

February 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Concordantmind

there are no facts at all hardly so every keep your half backed assumptions to yourselves!

February 7, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lynn

To judge the home owners actions one would need to know a few more details such as his age, past experiences, local crime stats and who else is in the house. I can't find fault in his actions from what I know. That is what everyone is supposed to do, know who it is before you open the door. And the victim may have moved on toward the shed before he could get an answer. The 911 tape may tell that story. The police should have check more thoroughly for a few reasons. The most obvious is to help the victim, the next would be to see if there is possibly a thug knocking on doors till he finds someone willing to open the door.
    Now, possibly due to poor investigation techniques they have lost the best opportunity in solving this horrible crime by not being able to talk to victim, leaving a violent criminal on the street.

February 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cris

C'mon, blood in the snow is easy! If I can track a deer at night (in leaves, with no snow), why couldn't these cops notice bare footprints & blood in the snow? Glad I don't live in Columbus!

February 11, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Randy Dowdy

He should have said the guy was smoking a joint at his doorstep. Then the cops would be there immediately.

Priorities are very screwed up in the laws of our great nation.

February 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cerri

In the small, southern town I live in, a call to the police (911 or otherwise) brings a policeman to your door, even if you have called back to cancel the emergency. A 911 miss-dial from my phone was treated seriously, with an officer coming to the door to check and make sure I had not been forced to call back and cancel. I do think these officers should have checked a bit further, and had they gone to the door and knocked to verify that the man who had placed the call was okay, they would have seen the bloody prints.

February 14, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. e rod

our system is not set up to protect the common man, it's intended to perpetuate the status quo and the riches of the wealthy. our system is punitive, not protective.

February 15, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

So the cops get a 911 call that there is a strange man knocking at a door in the middle of the night. The cops show up looking for a strange man, not a hand print. They drive by, not seeing the mystery man they were looking for, ie the immediate threat. Any you want them to go inspect the door? You've watched too much CSI. Not all cops are super detectives with a microscope on their belt. Police bashing is popular, feel free to jump on the bandwagon without knowing any of the facts. Although I'm sure that CNN did a flawless investigation and passed it on to you....

February 15, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

Just snuggle into your bark-o-lounger and believe all the cop shows you see on TV.
    MAYBE the guy in the house didn't see the guy at the door because he had already gone by the time he got to look out the peep hole? Hmmmmm.....
    A lot of you need a dose of reality. But just keep picturing the hollywood stereotype of the donut eating cop. It makes you feel better, so just keep living in your fantasy world. I'm sure someone will have a brother's sister's cousin's best friend's pen pal that was a cop that died choking on a donut....

February 15, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |