Comcast-NBC Universal merger approved
"After a thorough review, we have adopted strong and fair merger conditions to ensure this transaction serves the public interest," FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said in a statement.
January 18th, 2011

Comcast-NBC Universal merger approved

The Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice on Tuesday approved - with several conditions - a merger of the country's largest cable operator, Comcast, and broadcasting
company NBC Universal.

The FCC voted 4-1 in favor of the deal.

The FCC said the Comcast-NBC Universal combination will be required to take steps to increase competition in the video marketplace. The merger will also require Comcast to expand local news coverage, expand programs for Spanish-speaking viewers and offer Internet access to schools and libraries.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Business
  1. Cesar

Well, ok, so long as they have conditions.

January 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Brian Brown

I can only imagine the contract increases that will be coming for Direct TV and Dish.

January 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Antonio

They won't get me back until they offer me an NFL package! Could that be in the works? Please?

January 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. mark

I guess this means Comcast rates will increase yet again.

January 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. drap

Sorry Antonio your stuck , soon all these companies will merge and you'll have no choices

January 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Monica P, Chicago, IL

Comcast already charges way too much. With this merger, prices will go higher. My bill used to be well over $100 per month. This is ridiculous, especially with the internet tv feeds available out there now. You can watch regular tv with just a web connect. The one I use is from the http://TVDevo website. It’s dirt cheap and no monthly fees.

January 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ray

Has anybody noticed how Comcast is taking over the T.V.? Anyone not a Comcast subscriber will pay dearly for any T.V. content. With the choice of cable or dish and Comcast controlling the signal the signs are on the wall.

January 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Axtexan

Comcast must have paid some big money to get this through. They already hold customers hostage with other providers and they want to share fairly with their own-and_operated regional sports channels. Unbelievable.

January 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Axtexan

That's "they won't to share fairly" because everyone knows they WANT money.

January 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. banasy

Comcast can bite me. All they do is charge more, and take away channels we used to get on basic cable. Now, I suppose, they will be charging a premium to watch the 50 different "Law and Order" series because they're merging with NBC. Goody. And you can call it Xfinity all you want, but it's still Comcast and they can still bite me!!

January 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Uvegoddabekidding

Once upon a time there was free television as long as you had an antenna. Then the change came and a black box was required along with a new antenna to get intermittent service. For the last twenty-four hours there has been no signal, no signal, no signal, no signal, no signal, no signal...you get the picture? I don't. What do I have to do now? I bought a new television set already. To be fair to NBC, yours WAS the only channel suite I got at all here in the woods. I guess you've become another weak sister with expensive habits.

January 18, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. chrissy

just one more thing the government had to get involved in that it had absolutely no business being in. soon it will be total dictatorship! and fyi – those convertor boxes have a life span of 6 months.

January 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. chrissy

and i agree with banasy they can have a freakin picnic cuz they can bite me too!

January 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Miranda

Comacst is not the kind of company that I would like to be a part of right now. I had them in prior years before I started working for DISH and I will never go back. Most people hear things about satellite that are just not true. My bill has decreased by more than $56 a month, and I have gotten better service. Along with my bill going down, I have three receivers and have service in 6 rooms!

March 1, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. ศิษย์วัฒนา

I just like the valuable info you provide for your articles. I'll bookmark your blog and take a look at again right here frequently. I'm moderately certain I'll be informed lots of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the following!

April 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply