Police: 2 teens shot at California high school
Police said two teens were taken to a hospital, including a girl who was in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.
January 18th, 2011

Police: 2 teens shot at California high school

[Updated at 4:05 p.m.] A suspect in an apparently accidental shooting at
Gardena High School in California has been caught and handcuffed by police, according to footage aired by CNN affiliate KTLA shortly before noon PT.

"The student in custody was the student involved in this morning's shooting," Robert Alaniz, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Unified School District, told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS.

Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Patrick Gannon told reporters that the shooting appeared to be accidental. A student brought the gun to school in a backpack, and when the student set the backpack on a desk the gun discharged, wounding two students, he said.

A 15-year-old girl was in critical condition with a head wound, and a 15-year-old boy was in stable condition with a neck wound, Gannon said.

Are you there? Share your images

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • U.S.
  1. Jon

I pray for the wounded and dead, worry about gun control. End of discussion.

January 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jon

I also agree with sue God IS great beer IS good and people ARE crazy!!

January 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. truthbeknown

First of all, kids will be kids. They are like the rest of us with maybe a lot less understanding of consequence. Which there are a lot of adults who don't even think before they react. No this gun shouldn't have been in his position, but it was. This is the only reason I do not have a gun because of the children. And as for someone ever trying to break in my house, well ya get what ya get. If I had a gun and an intruder entered-Bye! Bye! People have no respect for one another nowadays that's the problem. My opinion: Guns do NOT kill, People Kill. Gee, I wonder if the LAPD has laid off workers like Camden,NJ has because you'll probrably see more like this. Camden, NJ laid-off over 100 officers and possibly 300 more. Camden, NJ is one of top 5 highest crime areas. Our government-BLOWS!

January 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. GHSgraduate

Details of the 2002 non-accidental shooting:

January 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Christopher Dycha

Enough is enough with these types of stories that are becoming commonplace. Prior to Columbine we might of had a school shooting every decade or so. I'm not sure what changed in our society the past 15 years but the concerns my parents had for their school aged children pales in comparison to what the current parent must mentally deal with. Christopher Dycha

January 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. XeenMeen

LOL, stupid kids, thats too funny.

January 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Carcajou

Every gun owner is a potential killer, and evry owner of an automatic or semi-automatic weapon is a potential terrorist (terrorism:the political use of violence or intimidation).The right to bear arm applied to the use of oen-shot flintlocks and muzzle loaders in the hands of responsible citizens – not macho idiots attempting to prove their manhood.

January 19, 2011 at 3:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. mariebaker

Well I had "Brand Name" car insurance and my rates seemed a bit high. I was nervous about switching because I had pretty good coverage. I ended up switching companies and now I have the same great coverage for a cheaper price through Clearance Auto insurance.

January 19, 2011 at 5:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. dalfy1505

before every one starts flying off the tangent were did he get the handgun. was it a parents that didnt take proper care in securing it or did this juvenille receive it from street affiliation. if it was the parents or family members gun they should be held accountable for this tradgedy as well as the boy.

January 19, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. anita

big deal, the kid had a gun, set down his back pack and shot two people without intentionally doing it. This was clearly an accident. Maybe this kid brought a gun with him wherever we went for protection. I see no violence in his actions. Now the kid is going to get charged. How sad.

January 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. sirgalant

Yet another gun fired at a school in USA with innocent kids getting injured/killed! I see 1000's of comments and arguing, but yet again, nothing will happen, no laws will change regarding gun control and nobody has the sense to even start talking about how undisciplined, unruly and out-of-control so many kids is USA are! We are indeed a nation of lost and spoiled brats!!! Truly sickening! I long for the good ol' days, when kids were disciplined strictly, at home and at school, including 'Singapore style' thrashings, and for the day when ALL guns will be outlawed!!!

January 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Margot707

I hope you are trying to be sarcastic.

January 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. snohzee

I am pretty sure you're an idiot.

January 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Terry

You have got to be kidding me! Bill got it right when he said crazy people kill each other crazy people do. You would fall in that catagory! You are insane! My heart goes out to all the students that were shot and to the students that witnessed it. I will pray for a speedy recovery!!

January 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. water_u_tlking_bout

finally someone who is smart

January 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply