Wednesday's intriguing people
Former "American Idol" contestant Alex Lambert's homelessness has been greatly exaggerated, a rep says.
January 19th, 2011

Wednesday's intriguing people

Alex Lambert

The "American Idol" Season 9 semifinalist created a buzz Tuesday with a rant on Twitter that seemed to say he was homeless:

"O my goodness yall! I have been crashin behind buidings and sleepin outside but I dont want nobody to feel sorry for me! I'm a grown (expletive) man"

Naturally, people understood that to mean the 20-year-old singer from Texas was living full-time on the streets.

Not so, a Lambert representative told The Hollywood Reporter.

"Alex is not homeless," said a spokesperson for XIX Entertainment. "He's been crashing on friends' couches while looking for an apartment, but he's getting a retainer and working on [new music] demos."

Lambert himself tried to clear things up with a series of reassuring tweets:

# I've had so much help out here in LA! I just want oto do things on my own! I have places to stay I just don't want to be a burden on anyone!

# I have money! And soon I will have a place to stay! I just wanted to let yall know! I'm not some rich spoiled kid! That I've had to hustle

# and grind and I don't mind sleepin on the street as long as I get my chance! Because I will not take it for granted! I hope yall understand

# Sorry for the miscommunication;) I'm just fine! MAHALO!

On Wednesday, Lambert tweeted: "I'm gonna stop tweeting now cuz I'm an idiot!"

Edward Joseph Chlapowski

Chlapowski, who died Sunday in Montana at age 88, was the person who told the world of Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

According to the Billings Gazette, Chlapowski, who was a Navy radioman on Adm. Husband Kimmel's staff at Pearl Harbor, was in his barracks on the morning of December 7 when he looked out the window and saw a hangar at nearby Hickam Field explode.

"I turned to see the planes coming in and saw the 'meatballs' on the side," he said, referring to the red Japanese military insignia on the planes, according to the Gazette report. "The hair on the back of my neck stood up, just as it still does today when I think of it," he said.

Chlapowski said he hurried to his post in the communications room on base. There a supervisor handed him a message, which he transmitted in Morse code: "This is no drill Pearl Harbor is being bombed by the Japanese this is no drill."

Chlapowski was a member of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association and the person assigned to present plaques to members' families when a fellow survivor died. Of the 84,000 U.S. military personnel on Oahu that day, only a couple of thousand are thought to be living now, the Gazette reported.

Read his obituary here.

Manuel Daniel Pena Hernandez

Baby Manny went home from the hospital Tuesday. Not a big deal for most babies, but an absolute miracle for Manny.

Six months ago today, Manny was born 15 weeks early, weighing just 1 pound, 4 ounces, with his intestines, stomach and liver outside his body, according to the Chicago Daily Herald.

"We had given (the baby's mother) a 0 percent chance of survival (for the baby), but I also told her, we are a very hopeful unit and we will try our best," Dr. Deanna Duray, a neonatologist at Edward Hospital in Naperville, Illinois, told the Herald.

It took seven surgeries and six months of complications, healing and care, but Manny now weighs 12 pounds and everything is pretty much where it belongs. He still has to be fed through a tube, but doctors think eventually he'll be able to eat normally, the Herald reported.

Manny's condition, called gastroschisis, occurs in  about 1 of every 2,500 babies born, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It occurs most commonly in babies born to teen mothers.

"We see a lot of miracles in our unit," Duray told the Herald. "Looking at those statistics, he really is a miracle."

Post by:
Filed under: Hawaii • Health • Illinois • Montana • Most Intriguing People • Music • Showbiz • TV • War
  1. Just a thought..

@Lisa
    I'm pretty sure those who are saying "Who cares?" are referring to the American Idol idiot.

January 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. m

The baby didn't go home at 20 ounces. What a misleading headline.

January 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerimiah

Most CNN articles are misleading. How about the fact that you clicked the link about a preemie baby, and the first two articles are trash about other people? :)

January 19, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerimiah

Although the story about Edward Joseph Chlapowski is okay. The trash about some teenie bopper music kid being stupid on twitter though... I could care less about.

January 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hannah Lowe

A wonderful outcome for this baby and family. Now CNN time to do some more reporting. Keeping in mind I am grateful and happy the baby survived, I am interested in knowing the hospital and doctor bills and if there are issues due to a lack of coverage or insurance. Some readers may hate this, but Manny may be a very good argument for health care reform. Just imagine the difficulties of this family if they do not have insurance.

January 19, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo in AZ

Who stated that support of a birth was the government's (my tax dollars at work) responsibility? Even if it takes several years for them to pay this off. It is their child and no one else's responsibility. My thoughts and prayers are with them and I do donate a lot of money per year, but if we set precedent of always rescuing people out of difficult situations, eliminating all risks they never see what other miracles can await them through their hard work and sweat equity to form a good citizen. I speak from experience of once being homeless with children and now being very successful. Hard work and paying off large bills can be rewarding if we allow people to do this and the lessons learned are invaluable.

January 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

My Son's 5 week stay in NICU came out to be $150,000. We have insurance and ending up paying about $12000 out of pocket over that first year. I ended up closing out a 401K to finish paying off doctor bills. We ended up paying "Out of Network" fees for every specialist that touched him.

January 20, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kelby

I care i'm a huge fan of alex, and theres many others. He has alot of talent. you don't know him so don't be so quick to judge.

January 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary J

There are such thing as talented idiots, you know.

January 19, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nicole

"I'm gonna stop tweeting now cuz I'm an idiot!" More profound words were never spo- erm, tweeted.

January 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hannah Lowe

Jo in AZ,

Those bills are going to be close to $1M. This is a conservative figure based on my 5 day stay for open heart that cost $200,000. I had no complications and spent less than 24 hours in ICU. So please explain how the Hernandez family is EVER going to pay that back. So for your serious consideration.....if insurance did not pay, y

January 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary J

"On Wednesday, Lambert tweeted: 'I'm gonna stop tweeting now cuz I'm an idiot!"'

**standing ovation**

January 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. COL. BAT GUANO

My vote? That's easy. Ronald McDonald.

January 19, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hannah Lowe

Jo in AZ,

I apologize. You're right. None of us should have to pay for that baby's care. By the way, I don't want to pay for AZ highways or your border fence, your border patrol, your water delivery systems, and dams or any AZ citizens who are on medicaid, and the next flu epidemic? – you're on your own. Oh, yeah....the next little kid that is rushed to the hospital after being hit by a car, but whose parents have been laid off and they have no insurance and no possibility of paying a $50,000 medical bill? Don't admit them until they have the cash. Too bad if we lose him....

January 19, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Redcarpet Downthere

I emptied my bladder on some homeless guy sleeping couple nites ago,pretty sure it was Alex Lamebert

January 19, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

yall making fun of the homeless and talking about urinating om one are a sick bunch of individuals! and his name is ADAM LAMBERT NOT ALEX

January 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Redcarpet Downthere

My apologies next time I'll make sure to drop a duece on Aaron Lamebert

January 19, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

ok redcarpet u are a disgusting excuse for a human being. course im not entirely sure ur even human. and remember – god dont like ugly so could very well be that ur the homeless one next. god help u then ya moron!

January 20, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

oh and since u seem to already be dead from the neck up anyway theres probably roaches crawling out of ur ears so it shouldnt be difficult to spot u sleeping on a sidewalk somewhere

January 20, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jackie

I'm so confused. The picture above is of Alex Lambert but he was not The "American Idol" Season 9 semifinalist
    that was Adam Lambert. I would love to know which one they are referring to!!

February 23, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |