Official: Two officers killed while serving federal warrant
Officers at a crime scene in Miami where two cops were shot while trying to serve a warrant.
January 20th, 2011

Official: Two officers killed while serving federal warrant

[Updated at 1:24 p.m.] A second officer has died in Miami following a shoot-out with a suspect wanted on a homicide warrant, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez said Thursday.

[Updated at 12:39 p.m.]
Miami-Dade police Commander Nancy Perez said at a news conference that one Miami-Dade police officer is dead, but the other is in surgery.

There were conflicting reports regarding the shooting of two officers who were trying to serve a warrant in Miami, Florida Thursday.

Earlier, an official said both officers had been killed.

WSVN: 2 officers shot and killed

[Posted at 12:16 p.m.] Two Miami police officers working for a federal task force were shot and killed while executing an arrest warrant in Miami Thursday morning, a federal law enforcement official said.

At least one person suspected of shooting the officers was also killed by police, the official said.

A third officer was wounded and was in stable condition in a hospital, the official said.

The slain officers were with the Miami-Dade Police Department.

- CNN's Susan Candiotti contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida
  1. Chessmack

Cops are heroes , they are not perfect but 99.9999 % of them are out there trying to protect the community from fools. I used to buy into the "cool" notion of cops are the oppressor when I was young and stupid. But experience teaching in the public schools loaded with fools who all they want to do is cause trouble has shown me that those school house idiots would run amok without a strong police presence and the whole country would be a rowdy classroom with no order. Research Mexico or Haiti and see what the atmosphere is to walk around with no police. BTW my experience as a black man has all been positive in regards to police because I speak respectfully to them. They are people doing a dangerous much needed job b/c trust me there are plenty fools out there. RIP fallen heroes.

January 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Richard Weare

Hello my name is Richard Weare and I live in Calgary, Alberta in Canada and I must admit that I live like a total pig as well as I am slob but I will never change. The bedroom in the house that I am renting in Calgary looks like a homeless shelter as I am to lazy to keep it clean as I have no ambition to get off my lazy butt after work and keep it clean.

January 20, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • JIMIATLAS

Richard take your meds and clean your room.

February 18, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. roger

I will never understand how people can write some of the callous posting they do when lives are lost. It just shows a total waste of a home life when you were growing up. My thoughts and prayer are with the families of those killed and those who were wounded risking their lives to protect us.

January 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Good Job

2 to 1 is the final score. At least he didn't waste his life.

January 22, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fanny Mae

We will NEVER know who is right and who is wrong...BUT........I have NEVER met a cop who was not power hungry and prone to abusive behavior. PROTECTING us? When? Where? Cops uniforms are missing a rubber pig nose. I would rather govern myself and protect myself, not hire some goon who can't even see over the steering wheel to carry a gun. I live in Miami. The cops here do not follow the law. They drive with no blinker, no speed limit, yapping on the phone and do not enforce the law. The COPS in MIAMI are a living, breathing waste of my hard earned money. They have never PROTECTED anyone I know and just drive around wasting money, causing problems and acting ike pigs. No thanks. Don't wish anyone to die, but WHY did they kill two people they were to arrest? Trigger happy? Power happy? HHHmmmmm.

January 24, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • JIMIATLAS

Obviously your criminal background shows through in your comments. Too bad you were probably sent to a minimum security prison before, but we are sure that soon you will make it Federally for a much longer stay.

February 18, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lost

Grisly.

January 25, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. JIMIATLAS

God bless you my Law Enforcement brothers. May St. Michael, our patron saint, greet you in heaven and show you to that thin blue line where officers who have died before you are waiting to greet you. Special Agents worldwide especially grieve as we have lost two of our own.

February 18, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. KABTEN

I love the fact that you mentioned temoshing other than business. I have two little tasmanian devil for little girls who can completely destroy a room in 5 minutes flat . Keeping the house clean is epic, in my opinion. I'd love for you to come back to this post, Shanna, and let us know when you've started that epic site.

April 22, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |