'America's Missing': Tionda and Diamond Bradley leave to play, never return
Tionda Z. Bradley, left, and Diamond Yvette Bradley were last seen on July 6, 2001.
January 21st, 2011

'America's Missing': Tionda and Diamond Bradley leave to play, never return

Editor's note: HLN is airing a special "Nancy Grace: America’s Missing" with the goal of trying to find 50 people over the next 50 days.

Nancy Grace will take a look at several cases around the nation in hopes of  helping to solve them. This was the fourth case.

[Updated Friday at 9:41 a.m.] Ten-year-old Tionda Z. Bradley and her sister, three-year-old Diamond Yvette Bradley were last seen on July 6, 2001 in Chicago, Illinois.

Their mother told police the girls were accustomed to being home along because she was a single mother and when she left that morning they were asleep on the couch, where it was comfortable in the summer.

But when she came home she found a note her oldest daughter wrote saying she was going to a store, then the school playground. They were last seen playing in the neighborhood, but nobody has ever seen or heard from them since.

"I believe that someone that was in close acquaintance with the mother of Tionda and Diamond took those children," Shelia Bradley-Smith, the girls' great-aunt told Nancy Grace. "The note, that was not the way Tionda spoke ... she was coached to write that note."

She also said there was a voicemail that said that "George was at the door."

An extensive search was launched by the girls' home, a nearby lake and even the cellar of the abandoned New Hope church - but they found no clues and the case remains unsolved.

For more information on the sisters, their description, and information to contact authorities, visit Nancy Grace's blog.

Other resources:
The Charley Project: Diamond Bradley and Tionda Bradley
America's Most Wanted: Diamond Bradley and Tionda Bradley

CNN affiliate WLS stories:
Family told Tionda isn't 'mystery girl'
Vigil held for sisters missing 9 years
Search leads police to forest preserve

1. SingleMom

Hindsight is always 20/20, and I'm sure the mother feels guilty every single day of her life for leaving them alone. In a culture where families are fragmented and child care is pricy, it happens more than you think. When my two kids were in afterschool care, it was $800 a month. Summers (during the day while school was out) cost a couple hundred dollars more. That is not affordable for many hardworking, middle-class single parents. Our outrage shouldn't be directed at this mother, but at a government that allows costs of living to drastically inflate over the years, while the working wage only rises a fraction of that. May God bless these girls, and bring them home safe.

January 21, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jen

If you can't afford food/water/shelter and other basic things in your own life DONT bring a child into your life and make them suffer. True, these children shouldn't have been left alone, but they shouldn't have been born to someone that doesn't even know how to take care of themselves.

January 21, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. christina

if anyone takes a moment to review the comments related to this article, they will (and should) be appalled at how deviated from the topic everyone has gotten. the subject: missing children. tragic, still unsolved. speculate if you like, but think about the victims here rather than sniping at each other or jumping on soapboxes.

January 21, 2011 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jaylee

They should have never been left home alone nor should they have been accustomed to being left home alone at that age. A 10 year old and a 3 year old? Its unfortunate that these little girls are missing and I pray that they are alive and being cared for and not hurt, harmed or deceased. But the mother is paying a hefty price for the poor judgement she displayed. I pray God will end her punishment and bring her children home.

January 21, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. Azrael

It's a tragedy that these poor kids went missing and I hope they are found safe someday. On a side note however why was the mother not charged with Child neglect or child endangerment. Leaving kids that young home alone esspecially for long periods of time is deffinately neglect or endangerment and she should have been charged. Before any of you jump on me for being heartless to this poor womans suffering I am not, I do feel for her. However recently a father was arressted on charges after his young son got a hold of a loaded handgun and accidentally shot and killed himself. He's suffering the loss of a child and still facing charges for endangerment ect. same should apply here.

January 21, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. JenL

Really and truly – you don't know the situation this mother is in. Maybe she had a stable life and could afford childcare at one time but things changed. Maybe "dad" walked out. Maybe Maybe Maybe. Quit judging and start helping find the kids. At the end of the day "what ifs" mean nothing.

January 21, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Azrael

I agree what ifs mean nothing and your right I don't know what her situation is. However her situation does not negate the fact that leaving kids that young home alone like that is endangerment and neglect. I was simply pointing out that if you read the facts of this case that she should have been charged and I'm surprised she wasn't.

January 21, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Shaun

It's obvious the children shouldn't have been left alone at that age but sometimes single parents are forced into situations they feel they have no control over. For her two children full time daycare during the summer depending on area rates can range between 600-800 a month and that is low balling. Daycare is outrageously expensive and is she was just getting by to start with it's a difficult scenario and you can't comment unless you are in that position. Some folks don't have the luxury of family members to help out or to be able to stay at home with their kids. I am not saying what she did was right but she evidently felt it was the only choice she had. Very sad story and hope they figure out what happened.

January 21, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. sh@d0w

that is very harsh of people of your guys kind blaming the mother on this the mother is on frantic mood missing her kids jus quit being so harsh she dn't deserve it

January 21, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Martin luthor

Nancy grace should have a network thats on 24/7 Think of the exposure the missing could get rather than a news headline in the local paper.

January 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. COL. BAT GUANO

Women seem really hateful to you, Jim. They like to rally behind the Nancy Grace man-hating machine.

January 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belinda

LOL... 🙂 I actually think Jim is a realistic thinker. He has made some pretty valid points, probably something the local police haven't really considered? You have to think out of the box and the "what if's" in cases like this.

January 25, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leslie

There is no excuse to leave your children at home alone. You have other options, you find other options. These are precious human beings that can't be replaced. Why would you leave them unguarded, after knowing all the sick human beings in this world.

January 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bob

ALL I WANT TO SAY IS I HOPE THEY FIND THESE MISSING CHILDREN. EVERYONE WITH THE CRAZY TALK ABOUT THIS AND THAT JUST NEEDS TO SHUT UP AND PRAY THAT THESE CHILDREN THAT ARE MISSING BE FOUND. ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

January 24, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. rita

I'm the oldest sisters of tionda and diamond and she left them home to go to work n for the person who said my mom killed her kids stupid dog she didn't mind yall bizness if yall not being helpful I really dislike ppl who judge ppl by there cover...dum asses

November 9, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • sparkal

omg rita sorry to hear what happen i just watched it on tv makes my heart ache if it was my son id kill myself i pray they are alive and come home they are so much older now u guys will be okay and make it threw i live in oakland ca and i was watching it on missing kids damn thats so sad idk how to say to u it will get better bekus those were your siblings smfh my heart gose out to yoou and your family

February 8, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jellybean

I still think about Tionda & Diamond. I think about that voicemail about George being at the door, I also think it should be explored more. That child spoke volumes in that message and should not be brushed over lightly. I pray for Tracey and the rest of her children, that you all will someday have closure all the way around. I still believe there is nothing hidden that shall not be uncovered. It may take a long time but do not give up. I pray that you find out what actually happened to them as well as who is responsible. In Jesus name.

September 5, 2013 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. sparkal

@rita im sorry to hear the story i just got done wathcin it on tv1 its such a sad story damn i have a 16months old this story makes me never want to leave my kid home

February 8, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |