Flavor Flav opens fried chicken restaurant in Iowa
Flavor Flav is looking to "blow up your taste buds, man."
January 24th, 2011

Flavor Flav opens fried chicken restaurant in Iowa

Look out, Colonel Sanders. Flavor Flav has a fried chicken restaurant, and he's coming for you - starting in a small Iowa city.

The Public Enemy rapper and reality TV star opened Flav's Fried Chicken in Clinton, Iowa, on Monday with a business partner he met through a connection in Las Vegas, the Clinton Herald reported.

"My chicken ain't no joke. I ain't scared to go up against the Colonel, tastewise," Flav said, referring to chicken giant KFC, in a YouTube video of him frying chicken at Monday's opening.

The sight of Flav cooking at his own restaurant apparently won't be a one-time thing. He told the newspaper he intends to work at the Clinton location now and then to help draw customers. (Good news for the fledgling operation: If his trademark attire is any indication, he should have no trouble arriving to work on time.)

"You're going to find me in here working. … You're going to catch me in here seasoning up my chicken, flouring up my chicken, frying up my chicken. And not only that, but coming out here and serving my chicken to people," he said.

The idea for the venture came after Flav befriended Las Vegas restaurateur Peter Cimino. Flav cooked Cimino some chicken, and Cimino, duly impressed, had Flav sell his chicken wings at Mama Cimino's Pizza in Las Vegas, the rapper told northern Illinois news site SaukValley.com.

It was Cimino's brother, Clinton restaurateur Nick Cimino, who suggested he and Flav open a fried chicken restaurant in the Iowa city of roughly 26,000 people.

"He said, 'You know what, Flav? … What I want to do, I want to build you your first restaurant.' I'm like, 'Are you serious?' He's like, 'Yo, I’m dead serious, man. I’m going to go home, I'm going to build your first FFC restaurant,'" he told SaukValley.com.

Nick Cimino bought a building next to his own restaurant and got it ready for Monday’s opening, the Clinton Herald reported last week.

Flav, a 51-year-old New York native, told the newspaper he's developed his own special fried chicken recipe over the years, having grown up in a family that owned a diner and having attended cooking school in the late 1970s.

His chicken has "that deep down southern fried chicken" taste, and also has "some crisp going on up in there," he said.

"The taste … will blow up your taste buds, man," Flav told the Clinton Herald in an interview posted on YouTube.

Flav, who starred in the VH1 reality series "The Surreal Life" and "Flavor of Love," said he'll consider opening more FFCs after getting this one under way.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Food • Iowa • Music • Showbiz
  1. maverickentblog

If you don’t want to eat greasy fried chicken then watch Flavor Flav's brother in Married Men Single women!

January 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. brad

sheeze people, can't you just be happy for the guy??? why does race, stereotypes, etc. have to be brought into this cool story. bunch of downers.

January 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Bookenz

There's no such thing as too much fried chicken.

January 26, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Bookenz

I hope he does well.

January 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. THE COMEDY MAGIC OF RAY SCHEFF

The past couple of nights have been great doing magic for flavor flave and my buddy Nick I wish them lots of luck and Thanks to all the guests who enjoyed my comedy magic.
    Ray Scheff

January 27, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Space

NEW FLAVOR FLAV VIDEO!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1VHBTQe3ng

January 30, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. barbara from va

you go boy i wish you the best and i hope you will consider mt hometown in richmond va were w would you over kfc.by the way get on or make another tv show.luv ya b.j.

January 31, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. SJN

I went to Flav's Fried Chicken...and it was actually very good. I was impressed...and I would go back.
    There were people there from Wisconsin, Chicago, Waterloo...and I am sure the list goes on and on.
    Don't hate on him. I hate when people do that. He is doing something good in his life. Whats so wrong with that?

February 4, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Crobbins

I LIVED THERE! But what's kind of silly is that he opened up in the building right next to KFC/Long John Silvers, and right next to Mama Cimino's pizza, right across the street from Wendy's and down the way from Taco Bell, Burger King and McDonalds. He'd do better in a different location, but he'll do well because he's FLAVA FLAV.

February 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sandy Granato

I'm glad for his side job, but I hope he doesn't leave Public Enemy in which I'm a big fan. sg

February 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Along The Way

Ironic.

February 18, 2011 at 3:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Albert R

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. From Public Enemy to fried chicken. Damn, son.

February 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. kruseyyyy

I live in iowa and this is freaking awesome!!!! i met him last week and he was so cool and the fried chicken was pretty good, but meeting him was even better! :)

February 19, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Fernandez

One of my all-time fatroive Pinoy comfort food! Reminds me of home and always hits the spot! Yum!!

February 11, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. greg

That's wasup lol I would love all of that and don't forget mac and cheese and cany yams.

January 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply