Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number
British soldiers patrol in Afghanistan last year.
January 26th, 2011

Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number

Samantha, where are you? Your soldier boyfriend, evidently deployed in Afghanistan, wants to marry you. He's proposed, Samantha. But we know you didn't get his phone message, because Diane Potts, a 44-year-old mother of three did. And she's certain she doesn't have a beau in Afghanistan who wants to marry her.

According to British media reports, Potts came home last Thursday in the northen English city of Gateshead, checked her answering machine and heard this:

"I love you so much, I love you with all my heart and I was going to ask you, don’t answer, obviously you can’t answer, but will you marry me?"

Listen to the soldier's message

"I could tell he was speaking from a phone booth, the line was quite crackly. I was shocked, and had to listen to it again before the message sunk in," Potts told the Daily Mail. "I think he probably dialed incorrectly, and that his girlfriend’s number is similar to mine."

Unless Samantha or the soldier come forth after reports of the call were splashed across the British press Wednesday, it could be awhile before the soldier can make his pitch again.

"He said he would not be able to ring for another month, and would not be home for another three months," Potts told the Daily Mail.

In the 90-second message, the soldier also talks about losing a comrade in recent fighting.

"One of my guys has just been blown up, so I feel sad, I really feel sad," he says on the tape.

Samantha is also apparently pregnant.

"I can’t wait until you give birth to my baby, my little soldier," the soldier says. "I will do everything in my heart and I will try my hardest to fight to protect you."

Then he's back to the fight.

"I've got to go back out here now. I love you with all my heart, don't ever forget that, I love you, all right Samantha, I love you, bye, bye," the phone message ends.

Potts says she hopes Samantha and the soldier connect soon, according to reports.

"I e-mailed the media to see if anybody could pick it up and do something about," she told Sky News Online.

"He had a regional accent, but we're not sure if he lives up here, so it's great to get coverage and find her.

"We just really want to find her."

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • United Kingdom
  1. Lanfear

Personally I thought it was very sweet. :)

January 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. hotbabe

and to every soldier who are fighting for us.

January 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MR Potts

What the hell is going on Diane...Are you prego...??? Now I wounder who the other three belong to...???

January 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nicole

So sweet!!!!

January 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anchorite

Sounds like it could be a hoax. Didn't he realize he called the wrong number when he listened to the message?

January 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

All machines are different his girlfriend could have change it to a machine greeting.

January 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brainy Yak

DANG IT! I am pregnant, I should skip the feel good stories. Now I'm crying at my desk. Samantha, say yes!

January 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morgan Whitlock

That's so sweet!! I'm not pregnant but I think it's the most precious thing to have a baby growing inside you!! ;) ... And this story melts me *almost* to tears. I hope it has a *beautiful* ending!!!

January 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mayhem

Good thing he wasn't phoning in some intense military secrets. He's obviously not good at paying attention to detail.

January 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Donna

Someone at a university should be able to determine where he is from by his accent.

January 26, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brad

Very awesome story, it sucks that he dialed the wrong number by mistake. Dude, I wish you and Samantha the best.

January 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Matt

This is a prank call. I used to do this all the time as a kid.

January 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

Calling a home and asking if their refrigerator was running or calling a bar and asking to speak to Al Coholic is not the same thing.

January 26, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. notborncynical

Big deal.

January 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tard

Magic Eight Ball says: "That is likely"

January 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Stephanie

To those of you who are wondering why he didn't hear that it was the wrong answering machine...hellooooo! the article clearly states that "....the line was quite crackly..."

January 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Exactly....and might I also add......He's in a war zone! Might be a little hard to hear.

January 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. junebug

Why didnt he call her cell? Do they have cell phones where there from?

January 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Butters

He might not have her cell number on hand, her cell might be dead. Ironically he may have wanted to make sure she got it so called her home instead. Maybe he did dial her cell and it went to this womans answering machine. Do you need me to ocme up with more random reasons he didn't call her cell?

January 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Reality

I'm thinking that it was a prank call. It would be interesting if the caller ID indicated a local phone number.

January 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • caoticTrance

I'm siding with the prank call. I don't think a proposal and the topic of a friend getting blown up should be brought up in the same 90 second conversation.... and if it's real: I'm sorry but red flag! Red flag! Lot's of unsettled baggage or for that matter, most likely a lifetime of therapy will be the outcome. I'm not saying I'm not for a happy ending and I can dig the wanting of a fairytale ending but let's be real. I see more red flags then I do rose petals.

January 26, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |