Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number
British soldiers patrol in Afghanistan last year.
January 26th, 2011

Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number

Samantha, where are you? Your soldier boyfriend, evidently deployed in Afghanistan, wants to marry you. He's proposed, Samantha. But we know you didn't get his phone message, because Diane Potts, a 44-year-old mother of three did. And she's certain she doesn't have a beau in Afghanistan who wants to marry her.

According to British media reports, Potts came home last Thursday in the northen English city of Gateshead, checked her answering machine and heard this:

"I love you so much, I love you with all my heart and I was going to ask you, don’t answer, obviously you can’t answer, but will you marry me?"

Listen to the soldier's message

"I could tell he was speaking from a phone booth, the line was quite crackly. I was shocked, and had to listen to it again before the message sunk in," Potts told the Daily Mail. "I think he probably dialed incorrectly, and that his girlfriend’s number is similar to mine."

Unless Samantha or the soldier come forth after reports of the call were splashed across the British press Wednesday, it could be awhile before the soldier can make his pitch again.

"He said he would not be able to ring for another month, and would not be home for another three months," Potts told the Daily Mail.

In the 90-second message, the soldier also talks about losing a comrade in recent fighting.

"One of my guys has just been blown up, so I feel sad, I really feel sad," he says on the tape.

Samantha is also apparently pregnant.

"I can’t wait until you give birth to my baby, my little soldier," the soldier says. "I will do everything in my heart and I will try my hardest to fight to protect you."

Then he's back to the fight.

"I've got to go back out here now. I love you with all my heart, don't ever forget that, I love you, all right Samantha, I love you, bye, bye," the phone message ends.

Potts says she hopes Samantha and the soldier connect soon, according to reports.

"I e-mailed the media to see if anybody could pick it up and do something about," she told Sky News Online.

"He had a regional accent, but we're not sure if he lives up here, so it's great to get coverage and find her.

"We just really want to find her."

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • United Kingdom
  1. AJ

Awwww!

January 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Linda

Not every does realize they've called a wrong number. People can be so emotional or focused that they don't hear what you think is obvious. Even though we have an answering message on our voicemail we got a frantic message from a woman, "This is your Mom. Did you pick up the baby? I can't find him anywhere!". We called the telephone company and even though they wouldn't give us the caller's number (it was private) they did track her down by searching our calls and called back to say the child was found. Another time we got several calls from a man with an accent saying, I think my wife is in labor." It turns out our number is similar to a local OB-GYN!

January 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Andrew

This media stuff is really getting lame. If I got that message, I would have called the army and tried to get him tracked down to let him know. It just spoils it really. They might have a positive view of it when it all goes down but serious, you called the freaking media? Good God...

January 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • TinKnight

I'm not a fan of calling the media, but I think it could be the right choice in this situation (after calling the phone company first).
      A) The military (US or UK) isn't going to spend the time, effort, and resources to track down a phone call possibly made from somewhere in Afghanistan, find out which base it came from, which soldiers might have been available to make the call, which ones have a pregnant girlfriend named Samantha, just to possibly tell the right one that he may or may not have inadvertently called the wrong number. Seriously, you think they have nothing better to do in a war?!?
      B) The media: See the end of Point A. The media never has anything better to do than a feel-good story about a soldier in a warzone...and they'll do their darnedest to see it through to the end.

January 26, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Feenigal

I like this story and we probably won't get a follow up on it. :(

January 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Chris

Does anyone notice how often soldiers get married while on deployment? Is it because they are lonely and need something on lock down back home? I know many marriages like this that fail hard when he returns because he wakes and smells the roses. Getting married before 23 is absolutely retarded. Enjoy your divorces idiots!

Oh, and Samantha...non-existant husbands make terrible husbands at that.

January 26, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Choconet

They don't get a divorce because they realize they made a mistake! They get a divorce because all the crap they saw during the war has literally screwed them up mentally and they just can't be a good husband or wife. They're so consumed by reliving the hell they expierenced that they are not there emotionally. First you don't have them there physically then when they return home you don't have them emotionally or mentally. It’s clear you have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder!

January 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhonda

Bitter Much??? WOW!!!

January 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChrisIsATroll

Who tinkled in your cheerios?
      I'd say more but you made it obvious already you aren't worth the time.

January 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Military Wife

Yes, because it is guaranteed at this point that Samantha, pregnant with a soldier in Afghanistan's baby, has no idea what she's getting into. She's not a strong military wife type of woman who can handle the idea that the man she loves, the father of her baby, is fighting a war and is not available all the time. Surely, no couple can withstand the nightmare of getting proposed while he's away, getting married and then having the soldier deploy to another country. Obviously, all military marriages end in divorce. There's no hope for any of us. Thanks for the illumination.

January 26, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. UK soldier in AFG

It was me. But I changed my mind. Everyone, just get back to what you were doing.

January 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dogsayswoof

Pretty funny comment. Thanks, it made me chuckle.

January 26, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hmmm

Who has an answering machine anymore?

January 26, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. shannon

I like the story and becuase I have been down range myself, it is understandable how a soldier in an emotional state could have dialed the wrong number. I hope to hear more about the couple.

January 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. but wait

Who was phone?

January 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • American Idiot

Why is a duck?

January 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Z-PAYNE

What an awesome thing to do.

January 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. anna

CNN- PLEASE give us the follow up if Samantha actually shows up...

Zoro, you make me laugh. I wish other people understood sarcasm...

And her number could have been one digit off from Diane's, and their voicemail might be the automated one saying "You have reached 555-555-5555". Since the line was crackling, maybe he didn't hear some digits??

January 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Ken

Probably a crank call from someone who knows Diana. When I was young and oh so stupid I was with a group of folks who thought leaving messages on machines about all sorts of crap was funny. Sometimes the worst in the group got downright cruel, leaving sobbing messages about she or he is dead, there was a horrible accident, yada, yada, gotta go (click). I think that form of entertainment luckily has dropped off with Caller ID helping. But someone who knows Diane could have called from an non-caller ID number and faked a message, calling when she was out to make sure the message was recorded.

January 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. JM

The guy sounds very stressed and worried. hopefully she gets his message soon...

January 26, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jes

How sweet! I'll marry you soldier boy!!

January 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. RMEWYF

I can't believe some of the responses here.. if you had a loved one or a spouse in the middle of this war.. and they called home looking for some way to express their love, fears, hopes, dreams.. would you take it so lightly? These soldiers are so far away and missing their families, not knowing if they will live to tell them in person how much they love them! I hope Samanatha gets the message and knows he loves her and their child. I pray he makes it home to see them again!

January 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply