Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early
Ohio mother Kelley Williams-Bolar is led off to jail after her conviction last week.
January 27th, 2011

Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early

An Ohio woman who was jailed for tampering with records to get her children into a better school district has been released from jail a day early, according to a local newspaper.

Kelley Williams-Bolar left the Summit County Jail on Wednesday, having served nine days of her 10-day sentence, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district.

Copley-Fairlawn said the improper registration cost it $30,000 in lost tuition and $6,000 in investigative costs.

The case has drawn national media attention and outrage, much of it due to its racial undertones: Williams-Bolar is black, while the Copley-Fairlawn schools are predominantly white.

A Google search for Williams-Bolar's name turns up 131,000 results.

Williams-Bolar told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she plans to appeal her conviction. The local chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network is trying to raise money to fund the appeal, the Beacon Journal reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Education • Justice • Ohio • Race • U.S.
  1. Mayhem

The law is the law, but there are serious offenders doing much more horrendous things in the world to make an example out of one mother who was trying to provide a better education for her children. Desperate situations make people do desperate things. If low-income, high-crime areas offered quality education, perhaps those areas would be able to turn things around. The two go hand in hand.

January 27, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gat

Ms. Costello,

The message should be "follow the law and follow the rules". I can appreciate her wanting to get a better education for her children but the school district obviously bent over backwards to try to find a solution. The jail sentence was because she made a bad decision.

January 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cincy_Sensei

Brock the law. She is absolutely wrong & can blame her parents and/or herself. For not valuing education when she was young. To Mama, you show your intelligence; taxes are based on everyone paying an averaged/equivalent share of district costs for the current/projected RESIDENTS.Persons with no children pay same as persons with 10 children. Or, her father would pay $0 and parents would pay tuition per child.

January 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phaethor

I agree, the law is the law. I am moving because of the school my children are currently in. We moved last year because of a job change and didn't really have time to look around for the best schools. We simply moved to an area near family. But the school here is rated a 5 verses the 10 from the school my children were in prior. There are several 9 and 10 schools near by and we are actively looking to buy in those areas now that we have lived here about a year and know the area. I can see where this woman is coming from but I question the "REASON" the school spent $6000 "investigating" the children. I went to the schools website there are only two or three children of color in their photo's for almost every school listed. I am guessing the reason for the investigation was based on race. Pure and simple. Right or wrong for the woman to use her father's address to register her children the schools still received state funding for the two children. They simply didn't receive extra tuition a person would have to pay for transferring their child. And $30000 I can see why she would do it. But it is still wrong. But I understand. I also believe the school is wrong, not for trying to enforce the school district rules, but for the REAL reason they investigated in the first place. Which they will Never truly admit and sadly can not be proven.

January 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janice

I agree with Gat and others..... To the question the CNN reporter asked the school superintendent.... What lesson does this teach the children I answer.... Don't cheat and lie in order to obtain something to which you have no right!!! If she wanted the kids to go to that school move into the district!! To the person who says 'there are worse crimes' I ask... So your take on the law is 'only punish the worst crime each day?' let me know so I know whether I can tell my children to go ahead and commit crimes... Just not the worst ones....

January 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • thatsnotright

The school and State did not bend over backwards to resolve the situation. They spent $6000 of tax payer money "investigating" and refused to settle the case to a misdemeanor before it went to trial. They bent over backwards to publicly humiliate this black woman: if a white woman had done the same thing, this would have been addressed in a quiet private meeting. And who sets the 30k value? I went to a better school in another town when I was young, and my parents were only charged a token $200. On top of it all, the grandfather, who was charged with GRAND THEFT, is paying taxes there to send everyone else's children to school. This situation is not a crime, it's a comment on the serious inequities in the education system. Once this nutty decision is repealed, I hope someone can find a way to sue the State and school district, and take them for everything they've got: let those privileged kids suffer some underfunding for a while as punishment for their racism and intolerance.

January 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

I want to know why these schools are so different? Are they not both funded by state monies which is from the tax payers? I am not black nor white, just putting that out there. But I went to High School which was a high % of minorities, and when we moved to attend a school with a high % of whites, well .. it opened my eyes to how finances to fund schools are so... different. Why can't a poor neighborhood have the same school as a middle class or rich one? It is ALL of the tax payers $$$. I think them making an example of this mother, will blow up in their face. I for one, see her as a hero, trying to give her children a better education – one already funded by her taxes.

January 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kaylee

I know lots of people who use a relatives address to get their children into schools their not zoned for. I can't believe this owman went to jail! If I was her I would move in w/ her father and send her kids right back into the very school they got kicked out of. It saddens me that she went to jail b/c she was trying to get her children a better education to escape poverty and crime. Obvioously, it was against the law. I think being caught would warrant her child's removal from the school unless she was willing to move into the school district. Why didn't they give her the chance to do that? This was an overreaction and I do believe that it was fueled by pride and race/socio-economics. What would happen if every mother who had her child enrolled in a school outside their district unlawfully was jailed? I didn't realize I knew so many women who should be in jail this very minute. They look so innocent.

January 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glorifundel

"I want to know why these schools are so different? Are they not both funded by state monies which is from the tax payers?"

Although School districts take money from various sources, the state being one of them, the Vast majority of funds a school receives comes from local property taxes. (not state funds) This is one of the primary reasons why there is such a divide between rich school districts and poor school districts. Generally districts with more rich people have better schools because more property taxes goes to the schools. Conversely poor districts get less property tax income and so have less funded and typically worse school systems.

The 30,000 dollar estimate is most likely based on the amount of income tax revenue that was not realized by the district because they did not actually live there.

Do I think this is right, or what is best for our country as a whole? Definitely not, however this is how the current system works.

January 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • thatsnotright

Caroline Giuliani got a day of community service and charges dismissed for shoplifting. The shop didn't even want to press charges when they found out who she was! She broke the law, yet everyone managed the case so it wouldn't destroy her future. I believe the school is guilty of fraud if they inflated their tuition charges. I want to know if the school actually charges 30k to outside students who apply there. If other students pay less, the school perjured themselves in court to destroy a poor black woman. If there are white students paying less, the school can and should be sued for racism, and I hope the judgment against them is EPIC!

January 27, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

So while our Nation is in so much trouble,THIS is the kind of thing we worry about?Woman wants her children to get best education~that should not be a crime! Instead,we BETTER worry that our states have not enough tax $ coming in to pay their bills and keep our sevices going~and that certin politicians insist on Tax Cuts for Wealthy,and want to CUT OUR SOC.SEC. AND MEDICARE! I see Mr.Boehner jumped on THAT bandwagon now~yeah~a LOT more to worry us ,than this lady! And,I for one,dont EVEN want to hear political nonsense,while our political people collect Big Pensions an Health Care PLUS Soc.Sec.~while expecting US to get by on about $12,000 a yr.and little Health Care! WHEN will the sane people put ANY politico OUT,who espouses this complete NONSENSE? Get off your duffs Folks,and fight to KEEP Our President~who is the ONLY thing standing between us all Losing Everything after working 50 years! VOTE THESE FOOL REPUB/TEAPRS OUT!!

January 27, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ROBERT

IT FIGURES-COMING FROM ILLINOIS

January 27, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Bo

Sherri, whats this got to do with the lame duck pres. This is about a woman who wants the best for her children, hell I am a white person, who would gladly give money to help that mothers case. I believe that when it comes to the well being of our children, all is fair game. I am proud of that woman and the statement that she was willing to make for her children. Let the pres go on his way in 2012, his time is done.

January 27, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • David W.

To Bo~ No disrespect intended but your color has nothing to do with (at least it shouldn't) if you'll give to her cause.

Though she is black this is a problem I know plenty of whites face too. No one should be deinied a quality education. NO ONE! The amount of taxes or location of there home should matter no even the slightest. Boston went through something similar a few decades ago....most thought it was "desegregation" of the public schools but it was a fight for quality education. Lets remove class from this debate and see what we should do morally. What is right for our children? That is what defines us as Americans.

January 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mom

In a heart beat I would do the same thing. I grew up in a middle class neighborhood and I'm education, but I think it's a shame to try to force her children into schools in neighborhoods that well of half of America would avoid at all costs. As Mayhem said, provide a better school option for individuals in these areas–and maybe we'll see fewer of these areas in the future.

January 27, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fal

Are you "education," really? Your use of the English language would make one assume otherwise.

January 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Well if you are "education" then you should have no problem reforming yourself and fixing this whole mess the nation is in.

January 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimh77

I'm siding with Momma on this. What she did to give her kids a safer environment in a better school, she should be commended for that action. I would do the same thing if my schools were not what I expected them to be and there was a better one in the next Town. No one knows why she is living where she is, maybe she had a great job before and was forced into this housing situation due to the economy. We would have to walk in her shoes to know he situation. Throwing her in jail was a stupid thing to do. Funny nothing was said about the conditions of the school she is trying to avoid. Why was that CNN?

January 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kira Gamble

The children should have been placed in the right school district in the first place. The mom was trying to do what was best.

January 27, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim M

hermitman: GIVE IT A REST

January 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

Our school district does the same thing and they find people out of district sending their kids here WITHOUT paying our high school taxes. Now if they want to pay the same amount of taxes I'm paying, let their kids come here for school. Without paying the proper amount they're just scamming the system and me and what it really costs to send children to certain districts. Why should people in my district pay for someone's kids who llive out of district?

January 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • David W.

What wouldn't you do to give your child a quality education? She did what I see is common among low income families that live in poor area's. Cheating the system? Yup! 100% Cheating a system designed to keep them from a quality education. I agree with the Mayhem....improve the schools locally so you won't have to deal with what some called "undesired" in their children's schools.
      PS~Has anyone asked these kids/students how they feel about this? I believe that it's them who's opinion in this matter should carry the most weight.

January 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Hey if you keep bright kids in a poor neighborhood from attending your good schools, what will happen down the road when America will no longer import nurses and doctors from China, India, and Africa (because those parts of the world will be better educated)? Your lack of charity will come home to roost. Or what if Americans are no educated and all our jobs are replaced by foreign employment? Oh yes, that's already happened. It is unequal school funding, and kicking kids out of good schools, that can lead to trouble for our nation.

January 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Janice Litvack

I work in an over-crowded school where parents lie about residency. While it may seem minor to an outsider please consider that we do not receive county tax money for these out of district children. This stretches our limited resources even further.

January 27, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela

While it stretches the resources thinner did you think about the comparison in schools when you made that statement? When a school is clean and able to update books while another the children are just worried about safetly and have much older books? Maybe all of the school should get an equal amount of the money regardless of the income of the parents. Then everyone has the same playing field and it would go off of the talent of the children not the income level of the parents.

January 27, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. alpha1charli

I said it before, the justice system just threw up all over this woman. This is so ridiculous. So she wants better for her children, that is worth throwing her in jail? REALLY? I feel for this woman. The poverty cycle is really hard to break. For this woman, she attempted to break the cycle for her girls and send them to a better school. Is it now a crime to want better opportunities for your children? Boy is this country in trouble.

January 27, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • hermitman

No a1c, she took $30,000 worth of schooling she had no right to. Is it ok for anyone to steal their way out of poverty?

January 27, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Beforreal

hermitman – are you serious LOL...that's all you can say SMH

January 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

It's worse than that. She was going to school for a teaching degree, but with this felony record, she will never in her life be allowed to teach in Ohio and many other states. She was not only trying the best for her daughter, but now she will have nothing for herself, and even if she wanted to repay Copley, she couldn't. Copley, by the way, is the home of many shopping centers, and is not poor and overcrowded, but rich.

January 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

She can pay that school district back over time. Let her teach her kids a lesson that a person should be responsible for his/her bills and cheatingother taxpayers is not a good lesson from a parent.

February 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Paul Martin

Hopefully, the fact that someone has to game the public school system to get their kid access to a better public education makes it completely obvious how unequal the outcomes in our current systems are.

If fixing these problems were easy, however, it would have been done long ago.

January 27, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • sb

This is simple case: 1) she broke the law 2) she put her kids through this by breaking the law. 3) Move into the district if she wants to pay taxes in that district to have her kids go to that school. She is the one who decided to break the law and she is the one responsible for this CNN ANCHOR WAKE UP

January 27, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • cks

If she (and her father) really wanted her kids to have a Copley school education, she should have moved from her subsidized housing into her father's house (where she claimed her children were living). For several years she ignored the school's attempts to work this situation out. I don't like that she got a felony conviction out of the deal, but she ignored the school districts attempts until the monetary amount rose to the felony level. In all that time the school never stood at the door and told her daughters that they couldn't go in, never said 'go away until your mother resolves this'. They continued allowing the girls to attend while trying to work with an uncooperative mother.

January 27, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Paul- Thank you for addressing the real issue here. The disparity in different districts is what is of most concern here. How can we claim to be the land of opportunity if we only ensure a fraction of our children actually have those opportunities?! I can't remember what state (or city) it was that integrated schools based on income levels, but that needs to happen everywhere. Require that any school can only have a certain percentage kids on free or reduced lunches before it is integrated with a school in a "better off" district.

January 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • AverageJoe76

The REAL issue here is the constant cycle of "more money = better education". NOW if this country is to ever really advance in math and science, we need to invest in ALL children. There's untapped potential within communities that have less money than the richer ones. Yet, as opposed to investing the most valuble resource to humans (our youth) we follow a deadbeat path where money is our God, and we simply follow the money instead of our heads. This mother bucked the system to give her kids a better education. Was she legally wrong? Of course. Would I do the same in her position? Maybe. If America was serious, this would never be an issue. Why do we allow the children to suffer if the parents have made some financial mishaps? Every child shouls have a chance at a stellar education in this country. The self-labeled "leader of the free world" gives to cents for these children. Billions of dollars in defense spending, and a fraction of that could level the educational playing field.

January 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

She's not "GAMING" the system. She is cheating other taxpayers bigtime who are paying for those schools. She should be forced to pay back over time the money she owes to the school district..

February 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lynn Murray

We understand about "wanting the best for our children". However, if we can't afford the name-brand shoes, we buy what's affordable to us and be happy our kids have shoes. We don't steal them, but if we do we risk the penalty of shoplifting. Williams-Bolar (who also lives in subsidized housing paid by tax dollars) is guilty of stealing services paid by tax dollars, plain and simple. We all know before we get pregnant, what we will afford and how much it costs to raise children, not just financially, but also in blood, sweat and tears. If our bottom line does not meet our expectations, we can choose to have smaller families to give more to the mouths we have to feed. How many mothers and fathers have sacrificed, worked day and night, downsized or went into debt to legally get their kids in the school of their choice? ...that is, either a magnet school (where the child's residence can be out of boundary), or (if it meant a school out of their home boundary) have relocated to another area even if it meant a long commute to their workplaces, just so the child's residence is in the legal boundary of the school. Programs, classes and all activities should not be filled up by kids who are supposed to be going to another school due to their residency, thus bumping kids who legitimately should be filling those rolls and whose parents pay taxes for in those districts. We all need to be responsible for ourselves and not just take from others or expect something we didn't work for like those many parents who have sacrificed and continue today for the betterment of their children. We all know when we are doing something wrong, no excuses. If we disregard the rules, we are showing our kids that it's okay to just take what we want without regard to consequence. People convicted of felony offenses in Ohio can be disqualified from working as educators, and rightly so. We want to know our children's educators not only teach respect, reason and responsibility; but are models for those values.

January 27, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bo

You know, you might be right, but a child is not at fault for what they were born into. Your publication here fails to list the true human element, it is about the children. You either have no children, which is probably best, or you have no heart. I am not bleeding for the parents. I am bleeding for the children. I have been a Lawenforcement Officer all of my adult life, and I have seen the horrors that these children have to contend with on a daily basis. obviously, you havent. The children are the only ones that we as a society can hope to change.

January 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • New Wicca

I totally agree! I live in a suburb outside a larger city that just lost the accreditadation for it's school district. They continually throw money away on outside sources to determine why their schools aren't performing, but are totally missing the point...if they spent that money on the actual SCHOOLS, they would be doing better. Last year alone, they closed 1/2 of their schools (about 16, i believe). And they are headed for more trouble this year.

Due to living so close to this defunct school district, we now have to show proof of residency in order to enroll our children. There are families that rent lower income apartments for only the four years their child is in high school in order to be in our school district. And the thing that kills me about this, it's all of this is done for SPORTS scholarships! Once their child graduates, they move back to the city. And they aren't paying the higher property taxes I pay because they rent.

January 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hermitman

If you don't live in a particular place and don't pay property tax there, then you have NO RIGHT to place your children in school there. This is theft and fraud, plain and simple. Get the education and the high-paying job so you can afford to live there and have your children attend the good school. That's what everyone else must do. Why are you special?

January 27, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Crysee

Not everyone was handed life on a silver plater like you.

January 27, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • hermitman

Is that what you think, crysee? I have had nothing "given" to me in my life, I work hard and pay my taxes for the things I must have for me and my children. So did my parents. It bothers me that you think that somehow her children deserve to be in the better school even though she does not live in the district or pay taxes there.

January 27, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • LEP - Illinois

I'm sure you've never broke the law...............perhaps the next time you get a speeding ticket, you should do 5 years as a felon. BTW – if the her father was living in the county, then the county got there money. Maybe if you crossed your legs & farted, you would clear your mind.

January 27, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Bo

hermitman, there is no deicate way to put this, but YOU SUCK. what a pathetic human being. I am not going to waste my time on an old fart biggoted person like your self. I bet you are alot of fun to be around.

January 27, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorie

Hermitman- I can't believe you think certain children deserve more just because of their parents success. Every child deserves the same rights and the opportunity to get a great education. Unfortunately that's not what happens. Let's hope if you have children you will always be able to keep them in the good schools. God forbid you loose your job and don't live in a wealthy district anymore. I guess you will just have to be happy with the schools in your area.

January 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • hermitman

Isn't this country wonderful? People can resort to name-calling when someone disagrees with them. Make a valid argument and point.

January 27, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wizzo

Yo are an A$$, all she has to do is allow her kids to live with her father( their grandfather). He pays taxes in the county and his grandchildren then would be able to get into the "white" school. This is a civil rights violation because it was extreme and unjust. Why was an investigation launched in the first place, I will bet becuse some undesirables showed up and someone complained. It's the bigots like yourself is the reason this country is so divided, its a public school system you moron not private.

January 27, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karaboo

The irony in hermitman's reply is so rich. "Get the education and the high-paying job so you can afford to live there and have your children attend the good school." She's at least trying to get that education for her kids, if not for herself.

I concede that she broke the rules, but jail time is so extreme for this offense. Plus this all begs the question asked by another poster about why aren't all of our schools excellent? It's shameful that we, as the "richest" nation, cannot give every single child the same opportunity to better themselves. I'm so ashamed, and you should be as well.

January 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leroy

Hermitman – FYI you say get an education and a high paying job! She was in school to become a teacher. She was actually working as a student teacher. BUT guess what cause its a felony she just lost that job. OH and what else she cant be a teacher anymore cause she has a felony. So she was trying to get an education and a higher paying job but now she screwed cause of this bs. Say what you want but what your saying is totally wrong. This whole situation is bogus. Reminds me of the Jena 6 case.

January 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • denise

No wonder you are called hermitman. Go figure! If for some reason the coins were turned wouldn't you want the same for your children? But I guess you don't have any children becaue you are a full blown hermit. LOSER. Where is the human in humanity. Dah.. You still won't understand because you are a real hermit.

January 27, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alisha

So many of you folks are so upset and going on about how this woman didn't pay taxes in that district and because of that, her children shouldn't be there. You seem to be forgetting that her father does pay taxes that support that district, so why not give his grandchildren an opportunity for a better education and a better life? I grew up and attended school in one of the more affluent school districts. I went to school alongside a lot of kids that didn't necessarily live within the boundaries of that district. It never seemed to be a problem unless those kids were from one of the "undesirable" groups from the intercity. I think this whole thing is about more than just who's paying the tax bill. Why was the school willing to spend so much money to investigate the whole thing. Why isn't anybody complaining about the money they wasted on that? Six grand will buy a lot of new books.

January 27, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlotte K.

@hermitman

Why dont you factor in the property owner who DON'T have children who still pay the same tax to subsidize your kids? You act like only residences with kids pay taxes. Is it fair to those who don't have children?

January 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • AverageJoe76

hermitman – Would you like the cycle of poor communities producing children with poor educations? Or is that not an issue to you? (and I'm just asking.... no sarcasm, no assumptions on my part) If we looked at our youth as a national resource we could be better off for generations. Equal the educational playing field, and raise the bar for all kids, and America could be pumping out scientists and mathmeticians and a higher rate. Sure the mom broke the law, but as a parent, I am not upset with her. And wasn't her Dad basically paying those taxes you believe she stole? Just asking.

January 27, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Susan

"Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district"

Oh puleeze – this happens all of the time – often to keep kids in their school when the parents divorce. This is a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. We wail and moan that American kids are falling behind but when someone takes action to give her kids a better education, she's jailed. This is a colassal waste of taxpayers' money for the arrest, court time and jail time.

January 27, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Thorrsman

This is why we need vouchers rather than being FORCED to accept the standard sub-standard schools the government gives us using OUR money. What is important is the education of our children, NOT fattening the leeches of the Teacher's Union.

January 27, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • TaxPayer

So if there is a bad school district then vouchers would solve the problem because all the parents would send their children to schools that perform well? Is it your contention that it's the school that is at fault for being bad and not the children that make up that school?
      If the parents in a school district don't give a crap, then the children won't. If there are enough of them then the test scores drop and you get bad districts. Now, take those same kids and move them, using vouchers, to a school preforming well. Do you think anything will change with the kids? The parents still don't give a crap.
      Now, you take some one who worked hard, did what society told them they should and got an education and good job. Now they live in a good neighborhood around other people who did the same thing. Thier paychecks are bigger and so are the taxes they pay. Do you think their children deserve to go to a school where they will be in the same class rooms with the children of parents who don't give a crap? Now, make those children black children and the children of the parents who don't give a crap, white. Do you still feel the same way?
      It's not about race. Laziness and stupidity transends skin tone. Hatred is every where.
      This woman knowingly broke the law. She deserves to be found guilty and punished.
      What does it matter why the school started the investigation to begin with? If she was wrong, then she was wrong.
      The school district I live in also have residency rules. If you don't like it, change the law.
      But you won't becuase the law is fair to everyone. Everyone who gives a crap enough to do something with thier lives.
      This woman lives in an area where the rent is cheaper. She takes full advantage of that. But she wants the advantages of having he children in the school where rent is higher and so are the taxes. She should move there.
      Her skin tone is not the factor. Stop playing the race card here. You people who do are just race baiters and need to stop your own biggotry and hatred.

January 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Miss Nana

I agree that the law is the law and that this offense was minor compared to other crimes being committed but I have to say that the tax payers of the school that this woman fooled should be upset because their tax money was stolen essentially. If she had taken a TV the same price she would be charged with grand larceny and be a felon. $30,000 is a lot of computers/baseball jersey's/textbooks or even a salary of a quality teacher straight out of college for that school and now it is unavailable to children who also deserve quality education. Just because what she did wasn't wrong in the eyes of everyone her decision does inflict financial harm on innocent people.I think this case should be another wake up call to Americans...we need to revamp our education system so that everyone's children...no matter income.... can recieve a quality public education. I think that if she pays the money back her record should go away but otherwise I believe this form of larceny should remain on her record because she did the crime intentially. Even laws we find irrational and unjust must be followed or we pay the price legally and financially. She is not above prosecution simply because she had good intentions for her children.

January 27, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lsferguson

For the hundreth time...she used her DAD's address...HE is paying taxes in that community to support the school system. It should be his right to allow whomever he wishees to use his address (hence his TAX DOLLARS). Whether you have children in the school or not, you are supporting it with your tax dollars, he simply chose to let his daughter benefit from his tax payments. Segregation is still alive and well obviously!

January 27, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Miss Nana

I don't care whose address she used. Her father paid his taxes when she was in school and when she was out of school as well. By your logic he should, every school tax season, dictate who gets his paid tax money? Should he get to go back and "collect" his owed educations and hand them out in another neighborhood? That is not how the system works.

January 27, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorie

Anyone who is saying she "stole" $30,000 is out of their mind! She used her father's address on the application. What if her kids spend 50% of their time at their grandfather's house? What if he is considered a second guardian to them? Did anyone think about that. ALSO all those people saying she was stealing from the tax payers... her father pays taxes in that area!! If he wants to send his grandchildren to that school he should be allowed to! He is the one paying taxes there!!

January 27, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Nana

And...who said the father OWNS his home? He could be renting/living in government supported housing or a vetrens home....doesn't say HE paid his taxes either.

January 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorie

So anyone who rents doesn't deserve to send their kids to a good school?? That makes a lot of sense...

January 27, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • DENNIS FLOYD

I AM A WHITE PERSON AND I AGREE THAT YOU SHOULDN'T LIVE IN ONE DISTRICT AND EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN IN ANOTHER "BUT" THIS WOMEN CAN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON IN THAT DISTRICT TO DO THIS. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY OF THE 75% WHITE WERE CHECKED FOR THE PROOF OF THEIR RESIDENCY? IF EVERY ONE WAS CHECKED THEN WHAT THEY DID IS FINE "BUT" IF NO WHITE WAS CHECKED THEN SHAME ON THEM

January 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Nana

You brought up the fact that her father pay's taxes , I simply said that the article doesn't say he pays school taxes which you do if you are a property owner. If he isn't a property owner because he rents/lives in funded housing then part of your arguement is null in void. If she wanted her kids to go there that bad she could have moved to the area, rented , and sent her kids to the public school she stole from. Like the word. Stole.

Also, to attack the other part of your arguement, even if he was 50% guardian of the children (Not likely) a person, child or adult, can only have ONE legal domicile and the kid's legal address is in another school district. They can have two residents but only one legal address. Look up the law.

January 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • baldrick

Miss Nana, if her father lives in the district, then he pays taxes there, regardless of whether he rents or owns. He pays directly if he owns his home, indirectly if he rents because the property owners' taxes are covered by a portion of the rent he pays.

January 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nate C

"$30,000 is a lot of computers/baseball jersey's/textbooks or even a salary of a quality teacher straight out of college for that school and now it is unavailable to children who also deserve quality education."

REALLY? So because her two kids were enrolled at this school, the school lost $30k worth of computers, baseball jerseys, textbooks, and a quality teacher? Astounding logic you've got there.

January 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • AverageJoe76

My feeling from your posts, is that this mother somehow swindled the entire county. How? Taxpayers of that county weren't forced to pay MORE taxes that they usually pay from this fiasco, were they? You want to keep out the people who cannot afford to be there, correct? Because that's the law, right? Makes sense from a cold-hearted POV. And it is the law. Understood. But it's immoral. And you can throw whatever legal term you want. Because her kids live in a poor community, the kids should receive a poor education. That's as dumb as the war on drugs. America will never produce the level of intelligence it needs from it's kids, because we invest only in the ones that can afford the education.

January 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rhasha Hoosier

child molestors are molesting kids. Murderers are running free, The elderly are being preyed upon. We need proper healthcare. They spent $6,000 investigating this!!! WOW! She is a horrible mother and she wanted her kids in good schools. There are parents who abuse their kids, Kids who miss school for weeks!!

January 27, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim M

LOL I know right? And they're supposed to be the SMART ones!

January 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JDoe

The real problem is the funding for public education. If it's truly public, then it should be funded the same way for all kids, giving them the same opportunity. The current system is such that rich neighborhoods get more funding while poorer areas get neglected. And of course there's the idea of drawing up arbitrary districts not allowing people to go outside. This is a form of semi-segregation that defeats the whole point of public education and equal opportunity for all kids.

January 27, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • hermitman

Richer areas fund their schools better because that's what the residents want, and they pay higher (usually much higher) taxes accordingly. Just because these areas have the ability or desire to fund their schools better does not give anyone the right to come in and take an education by fraud. Want to go to good schools? Live in a good school district and pay the taxes there.

January 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorie

Right... because poor people don't WANT to fund their schools. Only if life were that simple.... hmmm I want to live in a rich area so I'm going to want it so bad that 70k a year just falls out of my a$$!

January 27, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorie

Oh and Hermitman, before you tell me that the parents should just work their butts off to get the higher paying job let me ask you this.... how are they supposed to do that when they didn't get a good education??? You need to stop acting like such an elitist and realize that our country is not going to fix it's problems without proper education for all. I would gladly let my tax dollars pay for another child besides my own to get a good education. I understand that we need to act as a community and help those around us.

January 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • JDoe

If the school complains about the mother not paying her fair share, what about people who don't have any kids but pay into the system? Isn't that not fair? Will the shool district be refunding money to these people?

The fact is, we all pay into the system for all kinds of things like roads, airport, police, fire, etc. even if we don't derive as much benefit as some other persons. Education is important, and wouldn't it be better to have system that provide quality education for all, instead of the semi-segregated system we currently have?

January 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • New Wicca

I agree with hermitman. It's not about the education level of the parents, but how willing they are to work to see that their child has a better life. My husband has an associates degree from a community college. He makes three times what I make, and I have a bachelors degree.

This mom obviously took the easiest route – she lied and cheated her way through the system. What a great example to teach her kids. Live on the governments dime and steal whenever you can. When you're caught, tell everyone you did it for your kids. The bleeding hearts come out of the woodwork for that...

January 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. KAREN FALCH

The disgrace here is the inequities between school districts. Schools should be federally funded, not supported by local property taxes. All children ought to get the same opportunities and have access to the best education whether they live in Westchester or the Bronx.
    By the way, where I live in Upstate New York, fudging your address to get your kid into a different school usually have to do with after school care if you are a working parent, not the quality of their education. I have yet to hear of anyone getting caught and sent off to jail.

January 27, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse | Reply