Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early
Ohio mother Kelley Williams-Bolar is led off to jail after her conviction last week.
January 27th, 2011

Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early

An Ohio woman who was jailed for tampering with records to get her children into a better school district has been released from jail a day early, according to a local newspaper.

Kelley Williams-Bolar left the Summit County Jail on Wednesday, having served nine days of her 10-day sentence, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district.

Copley-Fairlawn said the improper registration cost it $30,000 in lost tuition and $6,000 in investigative costs.

The case has drawn national media attention and outrage, much of it due to its racial undertones: Williams-Bolar is black, while the Copley-Fairlawn schools are predominantly white.

A Google search for Williams-Bolar's name turns up 131,000 results.

Williams-Bolar told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she plans to appeal her conviction. The local chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network is trying to raise money to fund the appeal, the Beacon Journal reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Education • Justice • Ohio • Race • U.S.
  1. sumday

I agree what she did was wrong but jail time? unless there is more to the story the punishment seems very high handed. How many parents do this EXACT same thing to get their kids on a better sports team? I know of a few case like the here but no one went to jail for it. Those bashing this lady should ask themselves why they don't get this up set and demand jail time when other parents do it? In fact when has anyone ever heard of jail time for such a crime?

January 27, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mark H.

Black White Black White..blah blah blah...This is getting to be CNN's "go to" technique. Is this really worthy of Nation-wide news? It happens all the time around where I live. Please don't bite the CNN race bait, It leads to nothing good.

January 27, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shantelle

Not everything needs to be a blamed on race- however somethings are just that all about Race!!
    30k in tuition was it a private school or a public school? I wonder what happened for them to wonder if they really resided there to start the investigation

January 27, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rod Tristan

People. Look at the bigger picture. After spending $6000 investigating, 2 kids are going back to get a lower than average education. The mom is already in Government Housing. Where do you think the kids are headed? And who's going to pay for those kids when they can't find jobs because they didn't get educated properly? I can guarantee it's going to be much more than $30,000 lost in tuition, especially if those kids have more kids.

January 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aloisae

One component you aren't considering, however, is the majority of the children in the Akron district (with its higher poverty rate). While the lost money to that district from just these two children is offset in part by not having to educate them it was a loss to the overall funding.

The Akron schools received over $30,000 less in funding from outside sources (ie. federal funding and general state funds that didn't go to education because the Copley kids don't qualify for it but Akron kids do) because of this woman's lying to not send her kids there. This means it had less money to pay for supplies/hire teachers/etc even if it did have two less kids to teach.

Copley, on the other hand, is required to be primarily self funding but a cap on local taxes restricts how much it can raise for education. So, it had about $30,000 less to spend on its students.

Overall, this meant over $60,000 less that Ohio school students had spent on them because Copley isn't allowed to raise extra local funds to have paid for these kids and Akron (which is able to significantly more per student primarily because of state and federal funding formulas) lost funding.

January 27, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. blindjustice

I love how people bring up the housing subisity like she was living high off life or something, have you ever been to the projects? or know the type of places that excepts it? its no the greatest . also she was finishing her teaching degree that no doubt with it she can move out of that place. everyone on welfare isnt just lazy and misuse it ( im a single parent and was welfare 5 yrs ago i graduated college and am now a RN, needless to say im not still on welfare and happily pay my taxes)

January 27, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bob roberts

Most school districts actally do have their own investigators to track down out of district students. They do this because their funding also depends on where the primary caregiver resides, not just the address of the children. Grandpa was not claiming the children so the school district would be denied the funding to pay for them.

January 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul, from England

America, WAKE UP. A mom is jailed for loving her children and wanting a better life for them and trying to do what she thought would help. She was not selling drugs. She did not kill anyone. She may have made a mistiake but jaiil and villification, unbelievable. Americans should rally round her and help. True Americans would.

January 27, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Paul from England, I live in Copley township, I pay Copley taxes, and my kids go to Copley schools. This woman was using one address to gain government benefits and using another for her kids' education. How is this the right thing to teach your kids? I am all for taking care of each other, but at least let's do it honestly.

January 27, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • mechatronics

Lori T let get this straight. No some of us don't lie about where we live. Maybe you have so thats why you see eye to eye with this welfare collecting thief. Stop playing the race card also.

January 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • rushme1

Paul, from England: I want my kids to have a better life also, so does that mean I can move into the empty mansion in the next town over? Our house is way to small and old. Or maybe it would be OK for me to faudenly fill out welfare and/or food stamp applications, the menu's here haven't been that great of late.

January 27, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • TruthBTold

Seems to me, if that's truly the concern, then funding from one school can easily be transfered to another; yet, because the students were registered for school where they were, I don't comprehend how the school was NOT in receipt of funds based, solely, on its tally. Yet, I don't believe what they're saying one bit.

They, simply, thought they'd attack this women – under the color of law – and get away with it.

In fact, my children and I was put through the same type of abuse during a divorce and custody matter that began on Hanscom Airforce Base in Massachusettes and – let me tell you – by the time it was all over, in one year, my children were forced to go through three different schools; with one – Chelmsford Middle School – claiming my sons' credits were non-transferable, because the set-up/academic structuring between the different schools were not factored the same; consequently, they didn't want to credit them for the classes they'd already taken and there was NOTHING I could do about it. Sounds abusive to me; in other words, my sons lost credits in the transfers.

It's like they pulled out all the artillery they had to try and prevent us from moving forward; though, subsequently, my sons did graduate, these people, i.e., military officials, along with my ex-husband, Attorney Lynda Robbins, Judge Edward Ginsberg, Bedford and Chelmsford Middle School officials made it extremely difficult.

Bottom line: You can tell a racist by what they do, especially, what they attempt to justify as it's – usually – beyond a doubt unprecedented. For instance, they (then) went on to falsely accuse me of kidnapping my one and two year olds as we sat at home watching cartoons and my older two sons – barely teenagers – were in school. Consequently, the judge acted on that lie and awarded custody to my ex-husband, separating siblings and refusing to reverse the outrageous order without me ever being notified or any attempts to contact me that they were holding a hearing on the alleged "kidnapping" that never happened.

Subsequently, whenever I go into court – now, in Florida – with evidence of abuse, neglect, and emotional trauma to my children the Florida courts just rubber stamp the previous courts' abuse; allowing it to continue, under the color of law when, in fact, these people should all be in jail for perjury and misrepresentations under the color of law.

In the meantime, if it were not for my neighbors at Hanscom, who just happened to be white, and were (adsolutely) God sent; I just don't know what we would have done as the court's refused to even provide me and my children with temporary support during the entire process of divorce. Yet, my guardian angels – straight from the Lord – were so shocked by the lies they read (themselves) in the G.A.L.'s report (written by Attorney Lynda Robbins) that they decided to accompany me to every hearing, standing in the path to help us through and I tell you there IS a very special place in God's kingdom – especially made – for wonderful people like them and, clearly, a place in hell (hotly toasted) for all those others.

January 27, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mei

I'm surprised she can appeal. I think it's horrible that she was jailed for something like that but if she knew she was doing something wrong, she is guilty. Still, even guilty, she should NEVER have gone to jail. At most, just move the kids to the proper school district and send a letter to the mom. Putting a single mom in jail over this is outrageous!

January 27, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • gg

The grandfather lived in the county, right? He was paying taxes, right? Why are they making such a fuss. Probably cost the county and state more money to prosecute than to just let the kids finish school. These public servants would have better spent their time putting away real criminals, instead of wrecking the life of a single mom and her kids just to make a point. ...clearly someone's lost sense of priority here.

January 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dennis C. Pence

I agree. School voucherss would take care of this problem. Wanting a better education for her children is an admirable thing. Just look at the number of "illegal immigrants" we are funding education for and this woman is no doubt an American citizen – therein lies her problem. The only other bad thing she could have going for her is she could be a Christian and Caucasian. Triple whammy! – She would still be in jail. Ignorant legal system with its crooked judges and attorneys – probably give them a leg up on becoming politicians.

January 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

I agree with Paul completely. She was trying to give her children a better future. And honestly, 10 days?!?! That is a bit more than a week, so they shouldn't have gone through such a fuss if there was only going to be 10 days of being in prison. They should have just let her be and let her try to give her children a better life.

January 27, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angelique

Ya know, the fact is – fine, take the kids out of the school, charge her the tuition. But jeopardize the fact that she's 12 credits away from becoming a teacher and currently working as a teachers aide and about to MAKE IT?! She's living in government subsidized housing, she's working hard to get OUT of that situation. Now, with these charges, she could be barred from getting her teaching license. And possibly create a situation where she has to continue relying on government funds. This is what makes me so sad about this whole thing. That being on her record is a LIFE sentence, forget 10 days.

January 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

Lisa, I understand where youare coming fom but whats wrong with the women wanting a great education for her kids? All your seeing is that she lied. As a parent you should understand that she would do anything to make sure her children havethe best.. Wouldn't you?

January 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Angelique,
      I don't want someone who openly lies to a school district to teach my child. What else does she lie about?

January 27, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • k whitaker

This is the problem as I see it. First, it would be interesting to see if she voted for school levies in the district where she resides. I agree the school funding is a problem here in Ohio and some schools are better than others. I pay high taxes to maintain schools where I live and I'm willing to pay more state taxes to improve other schools. I don't see Ohioans willing to pay more taxes for schools, so I don't see a lot of hope. So, I think the real question should be how can we improve schools for everyone in the state, including probably more money for the poorer schools to help these kids. Additionally, it's important to note that even the good schools need to improve-all day kindergarten, foreign language starting in preschool. These are things we need for the next century. In conclusion, it seems something else could have been done to help this mother, unless she did not vote for levies in the district where she lives.

January 27, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clifford

BOB, you got it. A slap on the wrist was at most what should have happened here

Cheers to a parent who tries to do best for their kids and get them the best education

Jeers, to a government who uses the system to exploit and use a situation to make an example!

Apologies should be sent to the women for making her even do day day time, much less dragging her into court

January 27, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeah, right.

@Angelique–the school district tried to work with her on this. She wanted it to go to court because the thought the jury would let her off. They didn't.

January 28, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cinny

TO "WHAT" - and you investiaged and know more than what we read. Oh please tell. We all would love to hear your investigative story. This all boils down to school districts, taxes, and our government. Its ridiculous. Our school system is failing, we hire "teachers" who know less than the students do, and yet we call ourselves – a country of the best educators, I DONT THINK SO. You have to go outside of the "box" to find the right solution for your children.

January 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob roberts

most of our school systems that are failing are failing because of the clientele, not the teachers.

January 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • rodboy

Cinny,

I worked at a volunteer in school and I beg to differ. The slow children parents, don't follow up, don't read to them and do not pay much attention to school at all. Go to a PTA meeting and see for yourself. My son is a teacher and he sees the same for High School as well. Sorry this is empirical data gathered over two years not a story, I read and got mad.

January 27, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cinny

whoops meant to spell it investigated – not investiaged Dont want anyone calling this to my attention HA

January 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. A. R. Thomas

Almost the exact same thing happened to Yolanda Hill from Rochester, New York (do a google search). Same outrage, same likely end result, nothing. When we say, "Will someone please think of the kids" what we really mean is, "Will someone please think of MY kids". It's cynical, but true. I wonder how many other stories like this are out there.

January 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • TruthBTold

You are soooo right! We all tend to base our decisions on our own experiences rather than consider the facts. I, for one, have been dealing with an extremely corrupt system for way too long, while the courts cater to each other, under the color of law, at my children's expense; even preventing me from engaging in parent/child activities that are encouraged for other families at a Flagler County school in Florida, because my ex-husband who falsely accused me – along with Attorney Lynda Robbins – of "kidnapping" my children during a Concord, Massachusettes divorce and custody matter in order to gain custody, to begin with, told them not to allow me to either see my children or even obtain information regarding how they're doing. Moreover, Judge Zambrano (of Flagler county), simply, sanctions it all; allowing it to continue.

In the meantime, though my ex-husband continues to perjure himself, repeating that lie and others, it's like these people are completely deaf and illiterate, because the facts speak for themselves; which is why I blog every chance I can get on relevant topics, because I want people to know who these individuals are for whom even our children are NOT sacred. Moreover, because everything I say is the truth, it's not like they can sue me for defamation.

The fact is, I never once "kidnapped" a child, including my own; never abused or neglected a child; and (certainly) was never accused of any alcohol or drug use or anything of the sort; so, why would a Massachusettes court separate siblings and take a one and two year old from their primary caregiver – their loving mother – aside from abuse of discretion, under the color of law?

Moreover, my ex-husband went through three states in two years, with me in pursuit, and the courts rubber stamping each relocation as if I wasn't even there. I even discoved that their Nebraska elementary school had made a report, under their mandated reporter criteria, insisting my children see a psychiatrist for behaviors they'd noticed; yetm Judge Buckley of Sarpy county, Nebraska overlooked that too. My ex, then, temporarily remarried for slightly over two and a half years; before his own emotional instabilities derailed that marriage and his third wife and her family members were informed by someone from the neighborhood that they'd known him from before our marriage and he hadn't been stable for a long time. Go figure!

Why were we all so fooled? First of all, he was a LTCOL in the airforce and the military covered for him; just like the courts continue to do, again, at the expense of the children and (apparently) they have medication that can stabilize a person long enough for them to appear normal; until they stop or the medication stops working and families tend to keep that on the downlow, hoping the individual might have – somewhat – of a normal life so that you're the last to know. What's alarming is when the courts deliberately engage in the type of oppressive and, overtly, abusive behaviors that keep it going.

January 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. farmerjeani

UNBELIEVABLE! My children sometimes attended a school outside of our district because they went to a babysitter in that district. I babysat my best friends child and she attended school with my children instead of the district where she lived. If the grandfather lives in that district, then he pays taxes to that school district and the children should be allowed to attend. Its not like she made up an address that didn't exist. How did the school lose fees? Are they saying her black kids deprived some pitiful white child of an education? And to top it off, they put a mother in jail because she had the gall to want an equal education for her children. We have become a disgraceful society.

January 27, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • tiredodacrap

"Pitiful white child"??? Really?? And your race wonders why there are still issues in all of us "just getting along"???

January 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aloisae

The Akron district actually lost over $30,000 in outside funding (from general state funds and federal funds) because her children didn't attend schools in that district. So this really did cost the general educational system in Ohio money in terms of what was available to teach its children.

And there is a cap on local taxes in Ohio and Copley is expected to fund over 75% of its own educational costs out of local taxes (unlike Akron which only pays about 37% of its expenses), so they did have less to spend per child who is a resident of that community. The cost to Copley local taxpayers was about $30,000 over the period mentioned.

Over all, however, it did cost less to educate the children in Copley since they have less money to spend per student on education due to the funding restrictions they are operating under. So it saved all of us paying federal taxes some money as well as most of Ohio... with Copley residents picking up the tab and Akron schools losing some funds.

January 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • shyann

I agree with you 100% When I was a kid. I had some problems in the school I was attending. Things were getting out of hand. I asked my Mom to send me to a different school, but where I lived that was the only Public School there. I had to deal with a lot of abuse from the other kids in that school. My Grades were dropping.. I hated going to school. Then finally my mom found a better school in our area. It was a Christan School. I loved it.. Then this school moved out of town, and they had no bus to pick up the kids from the area I lived. I was scared to go back to the school I used to go to, my Mom got permission to send me to a school out of town about 8 miles away. I stayed there for a little while, it was a good school. Then later I got to go back to the Christan School, I had no more problems and I loved school again. People should not be so quick to JUDGE others you don't know the whole story. Also this kind of stuff is only taking away our freedom more, think about it. We have people saying we should make this lady pay and blah, blah, blah.. What for?? For being a GOOD MOTHER trying to do what she felt was right for her KIDS.. COME ON people.. This is dumb.. Why make a big deal over this?? We should be making a big deal out of TSA groping people at Airports not this kind of stuff..We all need to stand up for each other, or soon everything will SUCK because people whining over small dumb things when we have bigger things to worry about.

January 27, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

She had the gall to steal from tax payers in that district and was punished as such.

And no it doesn't matter if the kids grandparents live in the district. All that matters is where the kids live.

January 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmette

Please stop making this woman a monster. She is not. THe public school systems are purposely being left out. Ad then complain about her being on welfare. First of all she is getting her Masters to teach, to get off of welfare, if she is on welfare. So ruin her life, and then you will complain about her being on welfare and not working. It is ok to speak ill of someone when you aren't intheir situation, The economy is a wreck. The laws in this country need change. You should be able to go to any school in you school district is how I feel about it. Then the judge actually stated to her that she is a felon and with a felony record you cant teach in the state of Ohio. PLEASE GET DISBARRED, who actually took the time to report this. Remember who divides the money in the school districts. divide the money equally amongst the districts then people would not have to lie about where they live for their children to seek a so called good education. So please a lot of people are showing their Sarah Palin on here, quit being ignorant. Like the guy from Englad said she killed no one.

January 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aloisae

@ Jimmette: This woman didn't lie to send her kids to another school in her district... she lied to send them to another school district. As far as dividing the funds equally goes... her school district (Akron) has $4,000 more per student to spend than the district she lied to get her children into. If the money was divided equally, it is not the district she rejected that would get more money... some of the money it gets would instead be going to the district she lied to get her kids into.

Most of that funding for her district (by which she is employed btw... so if it is substandard not only does that reflect on her as a member of the community but as an employee of that school district) comes from state/federal sources which give out the money via a formula which has a per student component so that by not sending her children to schools in her district, she cost her district over $30,000 in funding they would have received from state and federal sources (money which therefore did not go to education at all). The district she lied to send her kids to, on the other hand, is not eligible for the same level of state and federal funding and is required to largely self fund out of local taxes which are not apportioned based on a per student basis but are instead limited by state law. This means that district had less money per student to spend on education because of her lie AND the district to which she should have sent her kids had less money overall (though not on a per student basis) to spend. Both districts lost out financially because of her choice.

January 28, 2011 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. FL teacher

This is very common. I've seen it at each school I've taught at. Parents are trying to get a better education for their children.

January 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • TruthBTold

"At" is a preposition; never intended to be used at the end of a sentence. Nonetheless, as a "teacher", I'd certainly like to hear your view on school vouchers.

January 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Studious

@TruthBTold: Yes - ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which we will not put!

There are some rules you have to break in order to avoid awkwardness and/or stuffiness.

January 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tiredodacrap

Stop with the "it's not a race thing" already! It IS about race. It's about how one race feels that since they got "their guy" into the White House, whatever THEY want should immediately become the law of the land. Say whatever you want about that comment, but there is huge difference in working to make a better life for yourself – and your children – and "stealing" the life you want your kids to have.
    The kids did nothing to put themselves in this situation, the mother did! Well, guess what. The kids pay for the sins of the parents. If you don't think that is true, why are the majority of us having to answer for the sins of ancestors we never knew who happened to own other people?

January 27, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • WAAG

>> why are the majority of us having to answer for the sins of ancestors we never knew who happened to own other people
      How do you feel about directly or indirectly inheriting wealth from ancestors you never knew? Indirect inheritence would imply even if they did not pass down the money, they passed down the means (like education, etc) to earn it. So if your grandfather got a job instead of a more qualified person of color, he "stole" from that person and anything he did with that money is "gains from stolen property".

January 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ83

My ancestors weren't here at the time of slavery and took no part in it. My great grandparents immigrated to this country legally just before the communist take-over in Russia and worked multiple jobs. My uncles were expected to work to help support the family and my mother, the only girl, had to take care of the house. They couldn't afford new clothes so they knitted extensions to attach to their coats, etc. and not once did they expect a hand out or go on welfare. Education wasn't a priority while my parents grew up and I am the first one to graduate from college. We never went on elaborate vacations, didn't eat out, my parents did not use disposable diapers (they were a luxury they couldn't afford), and despite my mother's severe health issues they saved enough to get us in a good school district. They didn't lie and commit fraud.

January 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnSmith

I hate to take the bait, but how, exactly, are you, paying for the sins of your parents? How was your school? Are you paying extra so African American children get a better education? Or are you just pointing fingers at someone else for all that is wrong with your life?

January 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • CheyanneC

HMMTo MJ83 Everybody in america benefited from slavery Here is how, Slaves worked for free for slaveowners who made an income or acquired weath from that labor, They paid income taxes to the government.The government use those taxes to build SCHOOLS roads hospital etc. Even if those slave owners died without paying those slaves the United States Government Never dies and they still used taxes derived from slave labor. There are government buildings including the capitol and much of Washington DC made from slave labor that was never paid for. let me say my parents were immigrants and I went to inner city high school that thinking about it still make me shudder thirty years later. NO please I dont want to hear the waaawaaaa from you all . But I hate when white immigrants say my parents never lived here during slavery we never got any benefit. from slavery....we all do

January 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • pauline

Ok, ok enough already between the brown skins and the white skins. Good grief. We are all responsible to help and to love one another. To uphold honesty and other virtues, etc. Did the woman commit fraud and then try to hide the fraud? Yes. It was dishonest. Did she deserve to go to jail? No way! My take on the situation is that she used illegal means to try to overcome an illegal system. 2 wrongs never make for right. The school district should have never turned this into a criminal matter. I will say that I do think society is more inclined to bring criminal charges agains the poor, against brown skin people, and minorities, than it would against white skin people. I think that 's a well established fact. I am white, btw, and proud of it.

January 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pistol

I'm with her. And, the sentence was overly dramatic on the part of the school, and the justice system. The education system needs some updating. Comparable education should be available to everyone. Not just those with money. It's hideous that this woman, who wanted something better for her children, had to resort to lies to get it. The system is broken and blaming others.

January 27, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • rushme1

Yes the system is broken and education should be equal, and circiculum is even – at least within a particular state, the issue comes from 1 teacher pay and 2 the students themselves. A student who really wants to learn, will. I'm sorry but alot has to do with the level of involvement of parents. How is fraudenly sending your child to a different school going to fix the system in anyway? Wouldn't the answer have been for her, especially with her choice profession, becoming more involved in her children's school? I do feel that the punishment was extreme, regardless of race. But cheating is cheating regardless of your reasons. And if her family lived in the "affluent" area, we really can't blame it the "cycle" of poverty.

January 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crispy

@rushme1

The problem is the distraction from the children that have parents that are not involved in their education. I currently have my child enrolled in a public school that is underperforming, & I always thought it was up to the parents to be involved. The problem is that the classroom distraction effects my childs learning experience. The only solution I have is to move to a better school district, which I plan to do. I know of many people whom have done what this lady did but did not go to jail. It just doesn't seem fair.

January 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NEw yorker

This has been going on for years and the schools districts know it. So why the big deal know. I grew up in the south bronx in the late 70's. Always had to watch my back and my grades, forget about it. But when I went to school across town in Coop city. Everything changed for the better. I would do the same today with my children if i had too. But I am a home schooler. Got tired of hearing teachers say they will get their pay check regardless if the students learn or not.

January 27, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lisa

I think it's really simple. She was using one address to enroll her kids into a suburban school. She was also claiming her kids as dependents living at an inner city address for government benefits and low income housing. Cake and eating it too?

January 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • TruthBTold

What cake? You mean crumbs, because the government stopped handing out "cake[s]" a long time ago; beginning with the civil rights movement. Prior to that, minorities weren't even eligible.

January 27, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmp80

TOOL!!

January 27, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmp80

@Lisa, It's not simple.....poor lady wants to make a better life for her children. Wouldn't you if you were in her shoes? From your posts, it appears it is all about you! God forbid we assist those in need. Give me a break, you actually think jail time was appropriate? And the cake comment, come on, get over yourself and go spend a day in the life of those living in the projects!

January 27, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |