Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early
Ohio mother Kelley Williams-Bolar is led off to jail after her conviction last week.
January 27th, 2011

Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early

An Ohio woman who was jailed for tampering with records to get her children into a better school district has been released from jail a day early, according to a local newspaper.

Kelley Williams-Bolar left the Summit County Jail on Wednesday, having served nine days of her 10-day sentence, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district.

Copley-Fairlawn said the improper registration cost it $30,000 in lost tuition and $6,000 in investigative costs.

The case has drawn national media attention and outrage, much of it due to its racial undertones: Williams-Bolar is black, while the Copley-Fairlawn schools are predominantly white.

A Google search for Williams-Bolar's name turns up 131,000 results.

Williams-Bolar told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she plans to appeal her conviction. The local chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network is trying to raise money to fund the appeal, the Beacon Journal reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Education • Justice • Ohio • Race • U.S.
  1. m

I'd have done the same thing if for my children too. And the amout of 30,000 in lost tuition is b.s. a crappy school like the one she wanted to save her kids from should not be putting a price on education like that. I think what she did was noble not criminal. I don't admire many people but I really admire her for her deep love and passion for her children. Sick of the whole public school issue and sick of how vastly different one school is from another. Any kid that has the desire to be taught, wants to excel and loves to learn, should be able to go to any dang public school they want to.
    Jail time for this? Stupid. Kids are beaten, allowed to go truant, etc. with no punishment to their parents for being so un involved in their kid's direction and we throw a woman in jail for crossing town lines and "tampering with records"!?

January 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hello

there is nothing noble about this. she didn't pay the taxes of the parents of the kids who go the same school. There is nothing noble about that.

January 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pjm

Paul from England is correct. America needs to wake up and stop incarcerating more than the 1.7 million people it already has in prison. The problem is - our country has fostered to many week minds - our answer is to quickly, and stupidly, "lock them up" - and to often depriving people of liberty when that basic right should not be taken away. China, with more than 4 times our population does not even have 1.7 million people in prison. It is a said state the prison complex and all of the prosecutors and other morons trying to incarcerate a mother for trying to get her kids into a better school - what a disgrace.

January 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hello

Love the race card, girlfriend, you pay the taxes and then we can think about it. This is no a matter of race, it is a matter of paying the taxes in the district. You stole, and you know very well that you stole, Don't bother to make it a matter of race.

January 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. London

Jail time for an offense like this is cruel and unusual punishment. However, her actions were clearly violating the law. I think that the message would've been delivered just as effectively, and in a less traumatic fashion, with a somewhat hefty fine. She is a single mother who seems to not be swimming in money. Or, perhaps a deal could have been negotiated. The children could actually live with their grandfather, and he could obtain custody of them. He is paying taxes too, so why shouldn't his own flesh and blood take advantage of the better schools? Why is it that he still has to pay taxes, but only those families get the extra benefit of his tax money? Perhaps childless people should be paying less in taxes, or those with children should be paying more in taxes per child, money which would directly go to the school district to benefit their children.

January 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hello

theft is not cruel and unusual punishment.

January 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LBugbee

It seems to me this woman should not have had to go through all of this in the first place since all kids deserve a good education, no matter what school they are in. Why are we paying taxes again?

January 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hello

uhmmm, hello? there again, she didn't pay the taxes of the parents that the other kids went to. Do we get it, already? You want your kid to go to that school? then move into the district, and pay the taxes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hello

please read what you wrote, she did not pay taxes.

January 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Justice4All

Dave you are a racist bigot. I like how you hide behind blogs to voice your racist remarks. I guess hiding behind a bedsheet is no longer the case. You have to hide behide the white background of this blog.
    Parents are guilty of this crime all the time. It is a matter of race when the crime doesn't fit the punishment. Jail? How much did this cost the taxpayers? Thes iinvestigators used taxpayers money to go after this woman. Are you going to put them in jail too? This case sets a precedence for others who haven't been caught yet. So "hide your kids, hide your wife because the man is trying to put them all in jail".

January 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hoover

Lesson here kids: Go ahead, break the rules because as long as you had a good enough reason to do so it's okay.

January 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hello

Amen.

January 27, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hello

absoulutely.

January 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. WApdf

In Washington state parents pay for transporting children to another district. Schools are state supported, so no problem. Teachers get about the same in each district not local taxes. The children need to register. It seems she could get welfare at her father's house. Some of these posts are just cruel. There are grants and such but jope she can fight this!

January 27, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hello

I know it is so sad, so, sad, what about the parents that don't lie?

January 27, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Justice4All

Everyone needs to be happy they don't live in a state where education ranks 49th in the country. There are no alternatives for these states except a private school tuition. Bottom Line: American Education needs improvement

January 27, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Will

If you are not familiar with the case and want to make unfounded assumptions, become familiar with some facts first and see if that changes things.

Williams-Bolar was offered many opportunities to settle the issue and her insistence resulted in going through to criminal charges.

Williams-Bolar falsified information in order to send her children to the Copley-Fairlawn schools. THAT is what the conviction she is serving for was. The false enrollment issue is still in legal proceedings because the jury didn't reach a unanimous verdict on it.

Williams-Bolar was interviewed in jail last week by WEWS and when asked which was her primary residence–the place in Akron or the place in Copley–said "my primary residency was both places." You can't have MORE than ONE primary residence. She doesn't seem to understand that. (See 42 seconds into this report: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/akron_canton_news/Jailed-Akron-mother-talks-exclusively-to-NewsChannel5)

And an opinion:
    She is a teacher-aide right now and should have known better.

January 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brian Eversole

I would like to say, I support Ms. Kelley Williams-Bolar 110%. From what I read, she has every right to do what she did. I guess, Pres. Bush's "No Child, Left Behind Act," which was signed into law at my school, and a witness to, isn't so good after all. I guess, money does tromps safey. Wow! I would like to say, to a few people who says its stealing or not right. Please, post your districts ratings and test scores. So, we can get a better understanding of where you are coming from.

January 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I agree. She was only looking out for her kids' safety.

January 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LOL

Are we forgetting that if her kids belong in School District A then the funding for her kids is not going to the School District B she snuck them into – my god folks – she broke the laws- and lied and what example is she showing her kids. Her kids should go to foster care as they are already learning about how to decieve the government. It says farther up a bunch of other families got caught and made a deal witht he school district to resolve the issue. Why did she not? Oh because she wants to be the victim- freaking disgusting. Lie cheat and steal is ok if you are a victim- think not. I have lived in good school districts and i have lived in bad ones- my kids always went where they were supposed to be.

At the end of the day I taught m kids right from wrong and I did not steal to do it. My kids learned more at home then they ever learned at a public school. I only sent them for the social experience.

Shame on this lady and her family!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hello

I moved out of my district and intentionally moved into a district that I want my children to go to. Can I afford it? Barely. But this is what I had to do. I moved in with hard working, taxpaying people. these hard working and taxpaying people are why the schools are better. If you want a piece of the pie for your children, then you have to buy it. If your school is not up to par, then you better be part of legislation and grab government by the balls, and ask, why is my district inferior to the other districts? But don't you dare steal from the hard working, taxpaying people that pay for that school you stole. You didn't pay for the heat that heats the building or anything else.

January 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. joyce34

She should have just gave her father temp custody so her kids could attend a better performing school. Jail time wasn't necessary. They should have just made the children go back to their school and charge the mother with a misdemdormenar of some sort. They are trying to make an example of a person who did something that people all over the country is doing. I know people who have stole thousands of dollar from their job and didn't serve one day in jail. I sat in court and listen to a lot cases for a report in school. This is whole situation is just sad. 😦

January 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |