Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early
Ohio mother Kelley Williams-Bolar is led off to jail after her conviction last week.
January 27th, 2011

Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early

An Ohio woman who was jailed for tampering with records to get her children into a better school district has been released from jail a day early, according to a local newspaper.

Kelley Williams-Bolar left the Summit County Jail on Wednesday, having served nine days of her 10-day sentence, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district.

Copley-Fairlawn said the improper registration cost it $30,000 in lost tuition and $6,000 in investigative costs.

The case has drawn national media attention and outrage, much of it due to its racial undertones: Williams-Bolar is black, while the Copley-Fairlawn schools are predominantly white.

A Google search for Williams-Bolar's name turns up 131,000 results.

Williams-Bolar told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she plans to appeal her conviction. The local chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network is trying to raise money to fund the appeal, the Beacon Journal reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Education • Justice • Ohio • Race • U.S.
  1. HoustonJim

Every school gets some federal funds for education. I applaud this woman for taking a risk to get her kids a better education. She should get a medal, not jail!

January 27, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • hermitman

A medal for theft and fraud? Really?

January 27, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Elf

Hear hear! I agree. Good for her!

January 27, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • baldrick

Give her a medal & vacate that stupid conviction! Stealing? I think she's the one being stolen from bacause she's paying taxes (either directly or indirectly) in the district where she lives, but does not benefit from them. I live in an area where the schools are HORRIBLE. All parents who can afford to do so send their children to private schools, but the majority of folks are pretty well stuck because this is an isolated area, with no neighboring school districts to "steal" from. Parents should be able to choose their children's schools, and failing schools should be allowed to die - the sooner, the better.

January 27, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bandgeek1

There is such a thing a cross-boundry tuition that allows parents who what to send their children to a different school or district to pay a fee to the district for their children. I can't applaud what she did but she at least did it for the right reasons. We we discussing the Brown v. Topeka case in class today and it seems things haven't changed all that much in 60 years. Where's a Thurgood Marshall when you need one?

January 27, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. duke

Yes the people are always the one who should be held to the letter of the law,
    Meanwhile your elected officials get away with murder!
    Supreme court justices holding closed door meetings with known hate groups,
    There are supreme court judges who's wives have political committees that are trying to shape the political landscape of this country(no conflict of interest there)(right),
    I guess the N#####'# are supposed to stay trapped on their 40 acres!
    Koch enterprise really care about the people!(yeah right)you people better wake up to what's going on!

January 27, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. the card

They just had to bring out The Black Card didn't they.... Who cares if she's black, white, hispanic, chinese, whoever. I understand where she's coming from but it was wrong and I hate that they pulled out the Black Card. Its amazing how they can pick and choose to use that whenever it darn well suits their needs.

January 27, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Gemini

What do you know about a black card or anything else? The Black card as you call it is there each and every day!!!! People of color see it every day… I wish it was as simple as you seem to think. You will never know what it is to be black in America… how could you?… You’re not!! Stop fooling yourself thinking that you do know. Your post tells me that you are too small minded to even imagine.

January 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim M

Well said 'the card'

January 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhasha Hoosier

January 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlotte K.

Until you've walked in "their" shoes you will never understand. There are plenty of caucasian women in my area who do the EXACT same thing. They enroll their children in schools in their friends or relatives BETTER school districst and absolutely NOTHING is said or done about it. How do I know this, because I am one of them...and I will continue to do it until my children graduate or better schools are provided in our district. This isn't just a race thing, but race has a lot do with it. I am proof.

January 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gemini

This is the thing that make this so stupid an such a waste and too me proves that it was motivated by race… now that she has went to jail she is no longer eligible for her subsidize housing and her and the kids must move in with her father. Guess what school they are supposed to attend. Yep you got it the same one they locked her up for sending her kids!!! How dumb can you be. All this did was hurt this woman and her kids future. Because now with the felony conviction, the 15 credits she need to complete her teaching certificate is useless. Now how’s that for justice?
    AND if I was her I would do whatever I had to do to make sure each and every student in that school lives in the district. If I had to pay for it myself

January 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim M

When you put it like that, maybe that was her intent the whole time!

January 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BoatMan

Well it seems the rich neighborhood school, with plenty of funds, was able to absorb them just fine. Meanwhile, the poor neighborhood school with it's limited funds, was able to lower their student to teacher ratio, improving it. I think they used to call it busing.

January 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. WOW

This is ridiculous! Now, we are jailing moms who want their children to have better educations? I went to Copley-Fairlawn schools, and they do have better education than Akron City Schools! Yes, she broke the law, but she was trying to help her children. This is crazy! You would think that the teachers in both Akron and Copley Fairlawn Schools would have tried to help this woman in some way! Some of the teachers in Akron had the priviledge of attending Copley Schools but they are so stuck up and far removed from their own past that they probably don't want to get involved. This should be cleared from this woman's record!

January 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim M

What law did she break? THE KIDS FATHER LIVES IN THAT AREA AND HAS PAID THOSE TAXES

January 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • BoatMan

HER father, their grandfather. But seems fine to me. I do not see why grampas home cannot be a home of record.

January 27, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bo

i would just about bet that hermitman is a reclusive wierdo, bordering on the verge of being a sociopath, or at least a real dud.

January 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mama

What about the property taxes her father pays? Don't his taxes go to the school? How is she stealing?? He's paying! I commend her!

January 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ray

Sounds like there needs to be a PARDON from the state to wipe it off the mom's record! Who's with me?!

January 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorie

I agree! It's an outrage to put her in jail over this!

January 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Not I, they gave her plenty of chances to correct the situation. She continued to commit perjury. She got what she deserved.

January 27, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlotte K.

I agree Ray, this district was on a witch hunt and wasted tax dollars to investigate this that could have been used elsewhere in the school. They should be investigated for fraud and wasteful spending.

January 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JFORCE

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This country has more important things to worry about than this. This woman needs to be applauded for doing the best she could for her children ( OUR FUTURE). And the IDIOTS in Ohio prosecute her. Wait a minute......

January 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Michigan Mom

Shame on the district. Shame on the prosecuter. This woman put down her fathers address and said she has stayed there. My guess is that her father pays school tax so why can't he have members of his family benefit from his taxes?

January 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MySay500

Something is missing here. Her father lives in an area that apparently is a wealthy area and she lives in subsized housing. Her father certainly did not bail her out. There is alot not being said.

Why????

January 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why not?

He has his own court battles. He's been defrauding the government for disability payments. Look it up.

January 27, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. joseph

sure she wants better education for her kids ....... for free while everyone else pays the taxes to have such a school ....

January 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonica Starks-Gay

When will American Society grow up and admit all the bias they can't seem to let go. For years I've seen with my own
      eyes and ears. You spend more time hating then living and guess what you're not always right.If it makes feel better go
      for it because life is not forever.

January 27, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlotte K.

Her father pays the same taxes as the others in the neighborhood. The school received its compensation from the kids' grandfather. Try again.

January 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JFORCE

OHHHHH IT'S A RACE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obama needs to pardon her immediately!

January 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • bigmac4lunch

Just what I was thinking. A big pat on the back to the "Rev" and his cronies. Tomorrow, I guess Jessie Jackson will step up to the podium with some of his overwhelming rhetoric. Jeez, give me a break. It's about the rules, not the race.

January 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlotte K.

There are plenty of caucasian women in my area who do the EXACT same thing. They enroll their children in schools in their friends or relatives BETTER school districst and absolutely NOTHING is said or done about it. How do I know this, because I am one of them...and I will continue to do it until my children graduate or better schools are provided in our district. This isn't just a race thing, but race has a lot do with it. I am proof of that.

January 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |