Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early
Ohio mother Kelley Williams-Bolar is led off to jail after her conviction last week.
January 27th, 2011

Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early

An Ohio woman who was jailed for tampering with records to get her children into a better school district has been released from jail a day early, according to a local newspaper.

Kelley Williams-Bolar left the Summit County Jail on Wednesday, having served nine days of her 10-day sentence, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district.

Copley-Fairlawn said the improper registration cost it $30,000 in lost tuition and $6,000 in investigative costs.

The case has drawn national media attention and outrage, much of it due to its racial undertones: Williams-Bolar is black, while the Copley-Fairlawn schools are predominantly white.

A Google search for Williams-Bolar's name turns up 131,000 results.

Williams-Bolar told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she plans to appeal her conviction. The local chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network is trying to raise money to fund the appeal, the Beacon Journal reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Education • Justice • Ohio • Race • U.S.
  1. Passing Through

I don't get why she was arrested to begin with...
    Her father lives in the district, isn't he paying property tax for the district that his grandchildren went to? So if she signed temporary custody over to him, this would all go away? All seems ridiculous to me....Glad to know taxpayer money is spent on this rather then something important like oh I don't know improving the low income districts?

January 28, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. rachael

Out of touch? Really. Do u want to call me a racist too? Or am I just to young to know anybetter? Well im sorry to tell you that you are wrong on both accounts. First of all my best friend is black and he thinks the same way. He also went to Green. And so what im 24. I am just sliding by paying all my bills, have my college degree but paying dearly for it with my loans. Im sorry if u think im out of touch but like I said, opinion.

January 28, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • KJBushway

Funny. Whenever a white person wants to prove that their not racist or to justify their comment, they pull the I have a black friend card. doesn't any of them have more than one?

January 28, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Txma

KJ Bushway repeated bitter comments show what kind of a person they are. That type of person doesn't want people to get along. Guess what KJ, sometimes different races do intermingle socially. Stop making it all about race. The world doesn't revolve around what color you are. And I attended a northern inner city school where I was the only **** in many of my classes.

February 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anne

Yes, it is falsifying records but that is the price you pay if you can not afford to send your child to a better school. Some school districts provide waivers for those who can not pay, but in order to qualify for that waiver you have to make less then a certain amount each year. That was why I did it. I lied to give my children a better education because the state was unable to provide the money needed to bring that school up to standard. That is the argument right there.

We pay taxes but those taxes go toward city schools and the county school if they are falling down around the students must wait until the state can afford to make the changes whether it be in the building or the curriculum. The same could be said for schools in area's where it is predominantly low income. Who do you think sits on those boards and makes the decisions. It certainly is not going to be the parents who live in the low income area's.

Our children can't wait. If they are not able to keep up with the other once they reach middle school or high school they are lost. We know what we want in the way of education for our children however often that money is earmarked for another school in another county or city. This just isn't in the state I live either, this is all over the US.

They want us to be involved in a childs education right up until we start asking the smart question. Often times we have to take matters into our own hands and even lie to get our children the best possible education we can. You might think we have a say with a vote but more often then not the question has already been decided. I don't blame this woman. None of us should. She did what she felt she had to do. Even if it meant crossing into a neighborhood she would be unwelcome in. The final proof will be the grades those children bring home.

January 28, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Lifebites

*yawns* well, let me say two things, either move, or dont have kids
      Or better yet, instead of my taxes going for your kids education, how about you send them to private school?
      Maybe its not the school system...its the family genes?

January 28, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. josh12477

cmon summit county, you are disgracing the state of ohio. i used to live in this county, you tell me that you bored ass, fat donut eatin sob's have nothing better to do than to harass a mother that wants better for her children. the copley school district is a damn joke for there actions, copley is in summit county, since when is it the schools or the states damn business what school a parent sends her children to. i dont blame this woman for sending her children to copley schools, akron schools are overcrowded, and breed violence. i wouldve done the same damn thing. atleast her kids were in school and not out ditching because they fear for there safety apon entering an akron school. she had her children going to a better school in the same county in which she lived, the copley school district is way outta line here and so are those fat ass donut eating cops, and the summit county district attorney, yall have violated this womans right to better her childrens education. i hope she sues the hell out of yall, when you gonna learn california is out on the west coast where all the stupid people live and breed and try to think of ways to make the everyday jo a criminal. what yall gonna do next, tax us on the air we breathe

January 28, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Anne

You are right on target with your comment.

January 28, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. adam

Everyone has a chance to better them selves. It's if you put your mind to it it or not. It called parenting. I do not care where you from the poorest or rishest family. It what u do with your life. Have these families start caring and educating there children.

January 28, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
    • KJBushway

By what she did she was doing everything you claimed.
      She changed her childrens life in a good way, called being a parent.
      She changed their stars even though she was poor.
      Thanks for giving her credit.

January 28, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. adam

Until people start taking avantages of the oppurtunities they have in america they will always be the lower class and take advantage of everyone else. They will pass that on to there kids. These parents need to be taught if you breed because it all they do. Produce a child with work which is what parenting is, and your kids will not end up like you.

January 28, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. Freeman

I'M ASHAMED TO SAY I'M AN AMERICAN, WHAT IS THIS COUNTRY COMING TOO?

January 28, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • KJBushway

Worse.
      Possible Republican take over again.
      Means less money toward important things.

January 28, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. KJBushway

Mr. Obama you want to be a good president Pardon this woman. I know she's not to famous, but she is doing something right.
    Spread hope don't be a Palin.

January 28, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. mechatronics

How come when you accuse a black of a crime the racism charges come out? What should blacks be free to do whatever they wish without judgment?

January 28, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Sauce

Yes!! Of course black power!!!!!

January 28, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
    • C

No, the punishment should be the same regardless of race. However in this case, the woman was JAILED. Do you think this was a suitable punishment? The sentence in this case was excessive.

January 28, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • KJBushway

No. Nobody is saying that. But the reference to a cop pulling over a black over a white didn't just come from nowhere.
      If you watched Black Debt in America, the CNN special. Things are pointed out that show why Black America isn't better off than White America. Wether its from the music they listen too or the hopelessness they grow up in. I don't believe the whole its becuase they are a generation behind. If that church in it had concetrated more on people who couldn't have made it by theirselves, than the one aspiring actor who could have made it, they could have made a real example of what kind of help Black America needs.

January 28, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Angel

The law should not be bent/broken/swayed simply because she is black. Yes, people do the best they are able to do for their children, but what example is this going to be to her children when they get older. "Don't you worry about mama's jail sentence, kids... it was just a LITTLE lie to get you into a better school!"

Yes, yes that's all we need now... grown adults lying for 'good causes'. Oh wait... the president... already doing that... and... yea. Nevermind.... (rolling eyes)

January 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JustMe

I had to do this, I was a single, working Mom & in order for my children to have a way to meet the bus & me get to work on time, then someone to meet them after school. this was before the afterschool care started. What are you supposed to do? They still went to a school in our district, just not the one closest to home.

January 28, 2011 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. join the club

so the message there was that only the people that we want to have a good education can have one and you're breaking the rules about who can/cannot get an education in this country. interesting. i saw that too. with gender. boys were sent down a math track when women were required to take home ec. no girls in upper division math when i went to school. no women in the physics lectures at college. and they thought it was because women didn't like it. wrong. it's because they closed the path.

January 28, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. christine

We have the same problem in our city, One of the teachers explained to me that the curriculum had to be slowed down to accomodate the kids that snuck in from the lesser district, in addition to the behavioral problems. So my son got a watered down education. Everyone who thinks this lady was ok to do this should be willing to take these kids in their district. Let your kids have less of an education.
    I paid every cent of my taxes. I volunteered at school. Did this lady contribute anything to the district, in any way? I also wanted a lot more for my son. I just didn't lie to get it.

January 28, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
    • omgimsurrounded

Pardon the working class miss my sh$$'s rose scented, but have you checked the national average on SAT scores? Poor kids sneaking into better schools ARE NOT the reason your kids educations has been "watered down".........

January 28, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
    • KJBushway

Yeah she did. Those are gilrls. Which by gender are typically better at school. So there goes you arguement about her kids bringing down the system. Sorry to put down what you think as a good deed, but lady you volunteered at a school that probably didn't need help. Your kid probably contributed to his own watered down education. Its teachers and the school itself that is to blame. How do you get blaming kids, aren't teachers and parents as adults supposed to be more grown-up and in-charge or do you let kids control your actions?

January 28, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

Ok... let me get this straight... So because you don't want your children to have a "watered down" education, you think it's perfectly acceptable to subject another mother's children to an inferior system? Let's think about this, shall we? Do you think those kids coming from the poorer district are just inherently inferior in intellect? Or is it perhaps because they're coming from a poorer school system? Those mothers and fathers pay their taxes too, work hard, and many volunteer too, so why does your little darling deserve a perfect education while they have to go without? Did it ever occur to you that maybe these children "sneaking in" are doing so because their parents don't want them to be slaves to some classist system?

January 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tensai13

This is an outrage! Is this what we are fighting for in Afghanistan and Iraq. I thought THEY were the terrorists. I guess the Rev. J. Wright was right – "Not God bless America, No, No, No, but God damn America" Amen.

January 28, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kristina

Parents have every right to provide the best for their children. This is what Ms. Williams-Bolar was trying to do...provide the best education possible for her children, where's the crime in that?

January 28, 2011 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |