Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early
Ohio mother Kelley Williams-Bolar is led off to jail after her conviction last week.
January 27th, 2011

Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early

An Ohio woman who was jailed for tampering with records to get her children into a better school district has been released from jail a day early, according to a local newspaper.

Kelley Williams-Bolar left the Summit County Jail on Wednesday, having served nine days of her 10-day sentence, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district.

Copley-Fairlawn said the improper registration cost it $30,000 in lost tuition and $6,000 in investigative costs.

The case has drawn national media attention and outrage, much of it due to its racial undertones: Williams-Bolar is black, while the Copley-Fairlawn schools are predominantly white.

A Google search for Williams-Bolar's name turns up 131,000 results.

Williams-Bolar told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she plans to appeal her conviction. The local chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network is trying to raise money to fund the appeal, the Beacon Journal reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Education • Justice • Ohio • Race • U.S.
  1. lcelly

THIS IS NOT NEW NEWS. Everyday there are kids enrolled all over with grandparents or relatives addresses, this is not a new practice in the schools. The sad thing is that the school district went after this student because she looks different than the other students. I wonder how many white students are using false addresses to get into better schools, probably higher than minority students....CNN should do a study on this!!!

January 28, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. UnderstandingMom

She should give temporary legal custody to her father, then her children can go to that school and LEGALLY get a better education.

January 28, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Darrell Holley

I never will forget slavery nor the effects it has left on Black people through out the generations since. It's easy to hide behind laws which basically protect the rich from the poor.It's easy to boast about being a tax payer if you are blessed with the good fortune of obtaining an affordable education
    As a result of that nice job you now have. Until you have walked the road our predecessors have trod, you will never no who we are as a people.

January 28, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. James

The boundaries changed for my kids school and they had to go to a school full of non English speaking mexicans. .. I went to the school district and begged them to let my kids stay in the school they were in before the change. They were allowed to stay. Thank god. I freakin hate mexicans.

January 28, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. James

You can spot an illegal alien mexican a mile away. They look dirty, they don't make eye contact and they all look sort of sub-human.

January 28, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. burriti

Just because it's the law doesn't make it right. I know numerous people who use other ppl's address so their children could go to a better school. I thought parents had a choice as to what school their children attend. Well apparently not. Telling parents your children can only go to the school outlined in your area is blatantly segregation in deguise. Segregation stilll exist. Our education system is still prove of that.

January 28, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Michele

SHAM,SHAM, SHAM on us this woman is for her kids they all go to school.
    THEY ARE TRYING TO help them selves and you JUDGE SEND HER TO JAIL? WHY? THEN YOU TELL HER SHE CAN"T BE A TEACHER.OH JUST STOP IT. WHEN WE BLEED DO WE NOT ALL BLEED RED!!!! OR IS IT YOU JUDGE AND THE SCHOOL SYSTEM THINK THAT YOU ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE? NOT!!! I'm so sad that this is how we are with people that are just trying to make a better life for them self and there kids.And guess what people I'm WHITE and all I feel is SHAM.....

January 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. clos

We worry so much about the little things now that we do nasty things to each other to try to keep them. America is becoming a heartless nation.

January 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Coco

coffegirl, Stacey, Mom,annabelle, J. D, islandmommy, Gregory, What's the real problem, Mirek (esp you), DisgruntledGrrl, Really (you too)... It's good to see some be the exception to the rule that 'common-sense isn't common'.

January 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. HCChang

Maybe I'm missing something here.

After removing all unnecessary components of this story, such as race, legal issues, etc., the conclusion that is left is:

1.) Woman wanted her children to have a better education, so they can forge a better future for themselves.

2.) Woman is punished.

That doesn't make much sense to me at all.

January 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jaydee

Didn't the father pay school taxes?

January 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. shyann

I think the Government is trying to start a RACE WAR, part of the end time Bible Prophecy, You will see more and more of this kind of stuff. Just to get people into fights. I have noticed more that more and more people are showing there EVIL side.. We need to get back to loving each other and caring. This lady did nothing wrong, and they did punish her worse then a person that got picked up for a DWI..

Isaiah 5:20 (New King James Version)

20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
    Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

January 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

A Google search like that mentioned will turn up results with pages which include the first name somewhere on the page, and the last name somewhere on the page, but not always together. The better way to search for a specific name is to put quotes around it. When you do that, you get only 65,000 results, not 131,000.

January 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BECKWA

It is so shameful that into day's society, we judge by the color of ones skin. I think she should file a discrimination lawsuit and it needs to be filed quick!! Why are they not investigating white people attending this school with another persons address. It's a shame that all I have to say and I am sticking with it 😦 (May justice prevail) I think she might end up being their neighbors bye, bye, subsidized housing she will say!!

January 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kevin

The police chief can't come out and say "I had one of my black female officers lead her out because they are also black" but I can tell you that is what he did. My uncle is a police chief, and a lot of it is PR and politics. Im not saying there is a chance this officer just so happened to be the one chosen to escort her out that door, but the police chief has to put the best impression on this case now that it is attracting so much attention.

January 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |