Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early
Ohio mother Kelley Williams-Bolar is led off to jail after her conviction last week.
January 27th, 2011

Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early

An Ohio woman who was jailed for tampering with records to get her children into a better school district has been released from jail a day early, according to a local newspaper.

Kelley Williams-Bolar left the Summit County Jail on Wednesday, having served nine days of her 10-day sentence, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district.

Copley-Fairlawn said the improper registration cost it $30,000 in lost tuition and $6,000 in investigative costs.

The case has drawn national media attention and outrage, much of it due to its racial undertones: Williams-Bolar is black, while the Copley-Fairlawn schools are predominantly white.

A Google search for Williams-Bolar's name turns up 131,000 results.

Williams-Bolar told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she plans to appeal her conviction. The local chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network is trying to raise money to fund the appeal, the Beacon Journal reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Education • Justice • Ohio • Race • U.S.
  1. Lynn

I agree with Mayhem. She'll probably be kicked out of her subsidized housing now too.
    @Mom – Most of the children in the schools my community , and indeed those who I went to school with 25 years ago, were from outside the district. I've never heard of anyone going to jail for it, although I have heard rumors that some parents were forced to compensate the schools. A sentence for jailtime is absurd.

If all schools were of equal parity this would not be an issue.

January 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joseph Gerth

A felony conviction that pretty much deadends her life. If people wonder why people have less and less respect for the law when the system is so obviously insane. Frankly, the system, the officials, and anyone who supports this insanity is themselves insane.

January 27, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JJDemos

If we apply the rules to this women, should we not enforce the immigration laws? It seems that this women was an easy target. But the 12 million illegals wasn't.

January 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • CERO

My sentiments exactly!

January 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JenniferF

During the first report of this story it was stated that the school district had investigated approximately 50 other cases similar to this one, where parents were suspected of falsifying addresses so that their children could attend school in this district. What happened to the other cases? Did any of those parents serve any jail time, and if not, why?

January 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Redneck

The other 50 were white rich kids & therefore allowed in after paying a little bribe.

January 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Michelle

So Lindsey Lohan gets a couple minutes to several days for driving under the influence...but this woman spends 10-days for wanting to get her children into a better schools? What the jails were too overcrowded for Lindsey, but not for this woman?!? This is why I won't have kids. I want to know that I'm not forcing anyone to live in this world 50-100 years from now. Idiocracy will run the world by them.

January 27, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JJDemos

And what about those illegal children in the schools now? This women at least is a US citizen.

January 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dennis

If people play with records to get their kids in better school "a situation that was stated on HLN" then bring some of these other cases to light. Lets find out what happened to other parents who tried to get their kids into schools they were not zoned to be in.

January 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MsJayB

To all the people complaining about how this woman is "stealing" from you because she sent her children to a school district for which she doesn't pay property taxes, consider this. I am a 31 year old single black female homeowner who does not have any children. I have lived in my home for4 years now and have paid a hefty property tax bill every year – a large portion of which goes to the schools in my area. You don't see me complaining about it not being fair that I have to pay the same amount of property taxes as those with children. People in this country are so freakin' selfish!

January 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. USNRetired06

Bring some of these other cases to light. It was stated on HLN that this type of thing goes on every day and is "technically" wrong to do so. Is wrong different from technically wrong?

January 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • hermitman

wrong is wrong, now matter which adjective you place before it.

January 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Throw it in the bag

For those that support this woman's actions, just keep in mind that illegal aliens have the same goal in mind. They come illegally into our country for a better life. Is it fair that they come here, don't pay taxes, use our resources, schools, hospitals, etc......? The same goes for this woman, if she can't afford to live in a better part of town then she can't enroll her children in a better school. If I work hard to live in a better part of town to provide a better life for my children I wouldn't appreciate it if my children's school opened their doors to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

January 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. xinejaquette

We bought a small town home in a good zip code in 2007 and I checked the schools. Then economy crashed. We realized the great price on our small condo really wasn't because the bottom fell out of the market and now we are upside down and couldn't sell the house and move if we wanted to. We are thankful for a fixed mortgage and a good rate but the houses are going for 2/3s what we paid. We got a $200 refund from escrow this year because they dropped the property taxes. The property value dropped and then they redrew the school lines. The grade school we are now assigned to fails half the national standards and does poorly on standardized tests. It is also 10 miles further away. Apparently the free standing single dwelling houses get the good schools around here now and the newer condos have been delegated to the poorer schools downtown regardless of geography. They argued they should have never put the new structures, built in 2003, in the local district. Not enough space they claim but their average class size much smaller than the school we are assigned to. I have no idea what to do. I am hoping that the schools will be better by the time our child is ready to attend or the economy picks up and we can sell the home and rent in a better area. I am just pointing out that a person can plan and still be screwed by local politics.

January 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Richard

I do not completely buy into the 30,000 tab drummed up by the school district. Since the grandfather was located in the district, I would first deduct the amount of taxes he is paying to that district for getting no share of the districts srevices. When I got divorced, I moved out, but still paid property taxes in the district where the 'joint' house was. 2 of 3 kids remained in that home, and 1 moved with me, although he stayed on weekends, and other times in the original home. All 3 children remained in the same school during my marital dilemna, and as far as I am concerned, I not only paid 'school'taxes on the joint marital property, I paid school taxes, via rent, to the district I had no child attend. Mypoint is that this can be a gray area at times, and jail, too me, seems like a cruel and unusual way of handling this situation. If the district chose to litigate for a civil penalty, so be it, but criminal? The situation definately does NOT get my support for that. Judge needs admonishment.

January 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. duke

If it was SS Sarah white folks would be in the street defending her grizzly mama stance!

January 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cat

I am a single mother who has worked hard to insure her child gets a quality education. She has been in private schools her whole life. I have worked four jobs at one point to make sure she can stay in a private school. This is my choice, whoever, if I wanted my child to go to a good public school I would move into the district of that school. However, I can see the other side of the coin. Why should a child suffer because it was born in a lower tax bracket community. We speak of equality for all, but when it comes to education – children living in higher tax brackets are far better educated then those children who do not. It is not my opinion it is fact. Take a look at your area test results and compare with an opposite community. Until it is understood that the future success of our country depends on how well we educated all our children then there will be those who believe it is fair and turn a blind eye to the fact that not all children receive an equal, quality education.

January 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jamesB

Don't school districts do this all the time to get good football players? Racist are expert at justifying their actions and responses, but it quite obviously is what it is.

January 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |