Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early
Ohio mother Kelley Williams-Bolar is led off to jail after her conviction last week.
January 27th, 2011

Mother who put kids in wrong school released from jail early

An Ohio woman who was jailed for tampering with records to get her children into a better school district has been released from jail a day early, according to a local newspaper.

Kelley Williams-Bolar left the Summit County Jail on Wednesday, having served nine days of her 10-day sentence, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar, a single mother living in subsidized housing in Akron, used her father's address to register her two daughters in the high-achieving suburban Copley-Fairlawn school district.

Copley-Fairlawn said the improper registration cost it $30,000 in lost tuition and $6,000 in investigative costs.

The case has drawn national media attention and outrage, much of it due to its racial undertones: Williams-Bolar is black, while the Copley-Fairlawn schools are predominantly white.

A Google search for Williams-Bolar's name turns up 131,000 results.

Williams-Bolar told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she plans to appeal her conviction. The local chapter of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network is trying to raise money to fund the appeal, the Beacon Journal reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Education • Justice • Ohio • Race • U.S.
  1. poet

look im white i registered to a high school out of my district under a false address they didnt give me jail time but they expelled me from the school and i was forced back to my district's school. My point even though I believe she did nothing wrong I dont think this is about race blacks need to get over themselves my people set you free look what happened to the jews they dont play the race card when ever they dont get their way I respect all colors but this world will never get better if we cant live amongst each other so shut the hell up she broke the rules and there is consequences when i get in trouble for breakin rules I dont play the race card its ignorant

January 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • pplgetagrip

Did you just say "my people set you free"?? Are you serious?! The reason why we can play the race card is because our ancestors paid a very heavy price for that card so its ours to play. I hate when people say playing the "race card". I'm happy for you that you don't play ther race card maybe cause you don't have one to play. She did break the rules but she was trying to give her children a better education she did not deserve jail time for that. If you look at how blacks are treated in terms of crimes next to their white counterparts they don't fair well. You your self said you were just kicked out was your parents thrown in jail? No didn't think so since you didn't mention it. That is why the race card gets played. As for the Jews that is their business that they don't bring up the atrocities commited against them,if it were me I would never let them forget it.

January 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Public Speaker

I personally found that the only people who say racism is dead are non-minorities. I also personally found that they are also the only ones who tell minotiries to stop using the race card. Coincidence? Just personally sharing.

January 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Triston

My people set you free????? Give me a break. You dont even deserve any more of a response.

January 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rositaCA

Does this issue happened because this woman is BLACK? Let's be honest........I have known white mothers in my city who had done the same, however, none of them were put jail and their children attended and graduated from another school while their parents lied to the school district, to be more specific LAS VIRGENES SCHOOL DISTRICT, LOS ANGELES, CA
    This is a shame!! but then again, I guess we can still see this in OHIO, SAD!

January 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lizzy

This is sad – when a parent is jailed just because she wanted something better for her kids! Maybe she went about it the wrong way, but very often (I know firsthand), trying to do it the right way is just a losing battle. Did they really have to put this woman through the extreme humiliation of JAIL??? Come on... please save that for the ones who deserve it, like the many kinds of low-lifes and thugs and, well, I don't really have to list them all, do I? Yet again, disappointed in our judicial system.

January 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

(Better for her kids)? Or did she just want to start trouble?

January 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lompoc2

How sad to take this mother away from her kids for nine days. What are they teaching the kids. This is about race.

January 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jennifer Martinson

I did that with my daughter when she was in grade school. I used my parents address so that she went to the grade school that was only two blocks from where I worked instead of clear across town. I sure didn't know I could have gone to jail for it. How ridulous.

January 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LOL

Who cares i her father lives there- she did not- she lied and all. We all want our kids to get the best education- but people there are rules that must be abided by. Sucks she took more tax payer money sitting in jail and goign the courts. What ever happened to just being law abiding and doing the right thing,

While race may have some impact it was more than likely her poor behaviour which started this and made it get to this level. shame on her for setting such a poor example for her children and now the race card is being flown high.

America- the land of the perputual victims- grow up!

January 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dave

She should keep her kids where they belong. We pay good money to get away from the losers in other schools. There is a reason predominately white schools do better, we sure didnt improve with forced integration.

January 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

people like you sure don't make it any better. you are disgusting.

January 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • rositaCA

you must be white and republican, maybe a tea party dude, VERY DISGUSTING!

January 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Myhouseof5

She wanted a better educaiton for her children and there are children missing and abused all over the world. Why don't you use taxpayer money to help those kids.

January 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. what the ?

So if the mom was a crackhead, and grandpa had custody – he could have sent them to school in his district, no problem? There is something seriously wrong with the system when the kids suffer because their parents care about them.

January 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • coffegirl

Yep.

January 28, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. poet

nobody deserves jail time it is sad but messed op things happen to everyone this is life we're living here folks we havn't died and gone to heaven yet but blacks mexicans whites are all racist not just whites not everything that happens to black is about race sometimes life just sucks they need to stop using race as their only defense and own up and realize life isnt fair to all races not just them

January 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LOL

Dave 100% agree

January 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. poet

thanks dave

January 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. AverageJoe76

The situation is: "I'm rich, I can afford a better education for my kids, and they will most likely get good jobs and my grandchildren and possibly their kids will have better educations because the cycle continues." (not a problem if your rich) OR "I'm poor and have a poor education, then my children will most likely have a poor education because I couldn't afford a good one for them. And most likely, they'll have low-paying jobs and then their kids and possibly grandchildren will also have poor educations because the cycle continues"

People say, "try hard, achieve, and you'll see the American dream come to fruition". I say, if your so confident in that idea, then put your money where your mouth is, give away all your money to a poor family, and prove you can make it from the bottom up. then again, it wouldn't be a fair bet, since you were probably already educated at a good school. LOL

January 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Many of us have already made it from the bottom up. It sounds as though you are grasping for excuses.

January 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

My grandfather was a poor coal miner in Virginia. My father did not have an indoor toilet until he was 18 years old. My mother did not have an indoor toilet until she and my father got married! My father went to college and his coal miner father paid the bill in full. My father got a good job and gave his children a better life than he had growing up. I went to college, worked my tail off and finally got a good job. Yes, the American dream is possible. You earn it – you don’t steal it. She stole and she needs to be punished for it.

January 27, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • AverageJoe76

What punishing is satisfactory for this crime....hmmm? How about 1,000 lashings by Dave, I bet he'd love to do it.

January 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lilone

wow i cannot believe what america is coming to this woman yes lives in subsidized housing but she was trying to better someone's lives if none of you out there have noticed we are going thru hard times there isn't good jobs anymore coming from someone with a bachelor degree and a veteran there isn't good jobs out there everyone is making this big deal about money money money pull your heads out of your asses ppl i cannot believe how greedy this country is becoming over what? nothing stop being about the dollar sing and to good to help others if americans can't be equal what will america stand for ey isn't that why were such a great country freedom and equality all schools should be equal it would not only help drop crime rates drop but be beneficial to lower income families just because they Dont make enough their children should not be punished for it now a days the rich are only going to get richer and the poor poorer there isn't really a middle class anymore sorry to say its not going to change anytime soon so maybe more ppl should stand up and take what should be theirs being this is sposed to be a equal country americans have turned into nothing but greedy money hungry ungrateful ppl and if we Dont take a stand to end that we are going to hang ourselves in our economy

January 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayZ

If you're a college graduate did you skip the class in english called "punctuation marks"?

The Vet part I can believe.

January 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

(maybe more ppl should stand up and take what should be theirs ) ----And we wonder why they are criminals!

January 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

She is the greedy one! She tried to get something she was not entilted to. I already pay for her housing and probably her food. That is enough. She needs to play by the rules or take her punishment.

January 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayZ

Really Jeff? You phisically helped build her house? cooked her a meal and made her dessert?

If you wanna grown about wasted tax dollars I can point you in a direction called "bailout package" or "DoD" or "medicare". Theres BILLIONS of misspent and poorly allocated dollars there. you'd have a field day with all that wine in your cellar.

All this lady did was try to get her kids into a good school a bad way. what a horrible person.

January 27, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JayZ

I actually applaud this lady for trying to give her kids a leg up! she commited a crime not for her best interests, but for her kids. Problem is you got caught, and wrong is wrong.

Pay the reaper and move on, but keep doing whats best for your kids.

January 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Applaud criminals? Guess you promote perpetuation of criminals.

January 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

JayZ – what if what is best for her kids is her robbing your hose and selling your things? Should she keep doing that? STealing is stealing. She stole and that is NEVER justified.

January 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayZ

Ever watch Bonny and Clyde and like it? Ever go to a party and look the other way at underage drinking or someone smoking pot? Did you vote this year? ever speed?

then I guess "you promote perpetuation of criminals." too.

Everyone commits a crime someway somehow, speeding, tax evasion, blah blah blah. Get off your high computer throne of judgement and look at reality you fop.

January 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayZ

@Jeff

"I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence" – Temple of the Dog

and I wont take the time to debate hypotheticals. She put her kids in a good district instead of a crappy one. Far from stealing my TV good sir.

January 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |