Gotta Watch: Challenger witnesses; witchy homes; Conan
1986: Spectators look on as the Space Shuttle Challenger explodes after liftoff.
January 28th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Challenger witnesses; witchy homes; Conan

Witnessing tragedy – The novelty of manned space travel may be a bit worn after hundreds of manned spaceflights. But in 1986, a shuttle launch was a special event. This haunting video captures the simultaneous awe and terror of spectators watching as the Challenger launches and subsequently explodes.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/01/27/vo.1986.challenger.spectators.wcvb"%5D

Witchy real estate – The amount pain and anguish that comes with losing a home to foreclosure can be enough to haunt a home for years to come. But, if you're buying a home in Salem, Massachusetts, you may be in luck. New homeowners can hire a witch to clear out that pesky negative energy that previous owners seem to leave behind.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2011/01/27/salem.witches.foreclosure.cnn"%5D

Conan on wax Conan – In case you missed "Conan" last night, here's your afternoon pick-me-up.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2011/01/28/conan.wax.statue.tbs"%5D
  1. Lulis Leal

I really wish I hadn't seen that video. So very disturbing.

January 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dmeredith

witches blessing your house .....why not get satan himself...these people are RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!

January 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. capitolgal

Clearly the daytime morons at CNN are in charge of the day shift of videos. Oh, as opposed to the night shift of CNN morons.

January 28, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ryan Jeanes

Uhhhh yeah CNN you dropped the ball on this one. Dont' label Challenger explosion 'gotta watch.'

January 28, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

My mom sent me a text message today: "25 years ago tomorrow you and I were at our house in Alabama. I was watching The Price is Right. NASA cut in to televise the launching of the space shuttle Challenger. You were playing with toy trucks on the floor... I watched the lift off. And then I thought there was a terrible mistake... That the channel had somehow changed and I was watching something else. I knew it was real when the crowd gasped and the anchorman started crying." Kinda weird knowing that I witnessed it and I didn't even know what was going on; as I was only two years old. Eerie to think that I know exactly where I was and what I was doing 25 years ago to the day. What makes this so personal to everyone- like 9/11- is the fact that we were watching it live. There is video footage of it. It is very sad still and I will say a prayer for the families of those lost.

January 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

The witch lady is freakin' me out. These people need Jesus. Sounds like this town needs Jesus. Wanna help people? How about giving some classes on Money Management so their houses don't get foreclosed! Start scholarships for underpriveliged kids so they can make the money to afford the home. But "witches"? Really? REALLY!?!?!?

January 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

While I agree she's a bit of a caricature of the classic black hat witch, she lives in Salem and that's what people go there for, to see and meet the witches of the town. It looks a little weird to outsiders. You could say the same of Christianity if you look at it as an outsider, with robes, incense, holy water and the body and blood (ew) of Christ? She was using the basic elements of earth, air, fire and water to cleanse the house. Ideally, she would do it first and then the homeowners would do it afterward, usually by throwing one heck of a great party. It's all about what you believe, isn't it? If you believe that taking a wafer into your mouth brings you closer to your god, more power to you. If I believe that cleansing with good intent is a ritual that works for me...why do I suddenly "need Jesus?"... just because my rituals are different than yours?
      Now how about you go read your bible and I'll get back to my book of shadows... see? we aren't so different.
      Judging all witches/wiccans on this short clip is like judging every Christian by the evangelicals.
      There are extremes in every religion, but if we all wish to survive together on this planet, we need to understand that there are good people in the oak groves as well as the churches, in mosques as well as the tabernacles... and in those places that atheists dwell. Because coexistence is the only way.

January 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ed bailey

Why does cnn even exist! Common sense and dignity, not in the media, our elected officials, our law enforcement or our justice system. What a great land of ours.the land of the phucked over!

January 28, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Indra-Alexis

Wow I can't believe it's been 25 since the Challenger blew up. I was only 1 1/2 yrs old. RIP Challenger crew I don't think people need to relive the moment it blew up again, just causes more sorrow, grief and pain for their friends and families. As far as the "witchy business" goes...doesn't a witch have better things to do than rid a house of negative vibes? lol I hope she doesn't milk too many people out of their money. I have no problem with wiccans but a scam is a scam pure and simple~

January 28, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raventide

Please see my post above. The woman does not charge for her house blessings.

January 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sam

Did you really need to post 3 times to say the exact same thing?

January 30, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |