February 1st, 2011

After mass dog slaughter, stressed man files workers' comp

An employee of Canada's Outdoor Adventures company admitted to slaughtering 100 sled dogs, according to a workers compensation report he later filed.

The employee - whose name authorities have not yet released - worked as a general manager of Howling Dogs tour company in Whistler, British Columbia. He claimed he was suffering from post-traumatic stress after carrying out company orders to kill the dogs, the report said.

A company with the same name, Howling Dogs Tours in Canmore, Alberta, has no connection with this case.

The man cited "a slow winter season" that compelled him to decrease the size of the company's dog pack by 30 percent, the report said.

The slaughter took place over the course of two days in April 2010, when he allegedly shot and knifed the animals before dumping them into a mass grave, including at least one dog that was later found alive, the report said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Canada • Dogs • Sports
soundoff (1,586 Responses)
  1. mark

This makes me sick, those responsible for this atrocity should be severely punished. Those poor sweet animals, to be treated like garbage after giving valiant and obedient service for profit, and to be put through such horror of knowing they are going to die and seeing their pack get slowly killed one by one. Sounds like hell on Earth. Way to go Canada, chalk up yet another massive cruelty to animals offense on your hands. Sarah Palin must be proud of you.

February 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. TPF

This makes M. Vick look like a saint. This guy needs the death penalty but death from the dogs.

February 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jbonne

Interesting Blog, I think most of you are more blood thirsty as the guy whom killed the Dogs. Listen to your selves. He was doing a job whether we like it or not. Most of you want to really torture him and send him to eternal Damnation which is not your job!

February 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ituri

I worked for one of these tourist Excursion groups in Alaska, and it was absolutely brutal, the 6 months I spent with them. I don't buy for an instant that the other "arms" in this business didn't know exactly what was going on with the dogs. I'd wager the entire business is owned by one person or a couple, so where did the order to euthenize come from? Do you think lower level managers can choose to kill 100's of your own dogs, business assets?

February 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. rhehudio

I don't think you guys get it. All these dogs were attempted to be given away. Nobody would take them. NOBODY WOULD TAKE THEM. So let's reverse this. you now have 200 dogs in your intimate care, and no one will take them from you. How would you deal with it? You can't afford to keep them all, space is limited, and they get down right mean when they are hungry. There is NO good way for this to go down.
    The business of sledding should never treat the dogs as Capital. That is the inherent crime here. The business should have laid of workers who were tied to the teams. That would have been humane. Instead, a man will be psychlogically damaged for life, and socially reviled. Who could kill that many dogs and not be twisted by it? Don't blame the man if you can. The business treated animals as capital... that is the crime.

February 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Liz

rhehudio,
      There has been absolutely no details regarding how this employee may or may not have tried to find homes for the 100 dogs. Stop making excuses for an evil man. Could you have killed these dogs? If you could, then maybe you are evil too to sympathize with such a robot killer. You don't even get who the victims are here; they are the dogs and not the general manager who did the slaughter.

February 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brady

I would've proudly adopted 2 or 3 of those dogs. How was this not an option?

February 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Carl

Who cares where they are from, put this guy in the hole with the dogs!

February 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. klee

Remniscient of hitler's solution.

February 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Vancouver Guy

This is the number one news story in British Columbia. Everyone I know is outraged at the slaughter. If it wasn't for the fact that this guy filed a detailed claim about the incident no one would have heard about it. I can only assume that the man must have had some type of mental illness to do something so horrible. And the owners of the company must have know something about what was going on. Prison would be the best place for all of them!

February 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. CHRIS

I used to live in Whistler...you would be amazed at all the disgusting "acts" that took place in the name of the Olympics...I don't get the Olympic draw...other than another excuse to eat and drink..

February 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Leonard

Let me guess....Micheal Vick had stock invested in this company.

February 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Ellie

BUNCH OF FREAKS! I Someone had to have known and reported what was planned. I will never go back to Whisteler!!!! This made me cry for those beautiful, helpless, confused and betrayed dogs that earned a living for subhumans!!!

February 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Fiona

Sled dogs have a hellish life to begin with. They spend 90 percent of their time chained to a doghouse. The other fraction is spent running in harness. Some owners (very, very few) who keep just one team might rotate dogs, one at a time, to spend a night indoors, but that is the rare exception. These dogs are run to exhaustion, when they are run. They are constantly stressed when they are tied down, lunging at the ends of their chains and barking. It is no surprise to me that someone who keeps 300 sled dogs can feel numb enough toward them that he could blow their heads off while they run away. I am sickened by this story. I was planning a vacation in BC this summer, but I'm going to change my destination now.

February 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Tony

It's sick, but what do you expect from such a liberal country? We are next with all the wild liberal moves...

February 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Randy

Truly, truly disgusting. I'm sickened by Canada and by these people. I hope they die horrible painful deaths.

February 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53