February 1st, 2011

After mass dog slaughter, stressed man files workers' comp

An employee of Canada's Outdoor Adventures company admitted to slaughtering 100 sled dogs, according to a workers compensation report he later filed.

The employee - whose name authorities have not yet released - worked as a general manager of Howling Dogs tour company in Whistler, British Columbia. He claimed he was suffering from post-traumatic stress after carrying out company orders to kill the dogs, the report said.

A company with the same name, Howling Dogs Tours in Canmore, Alberta, has no connection with this case.

The man cited "a slow winter season" that compelled him to decrease the size of the company's dog pack by 30 percent, the report said.

The slaughter took place over the course of two days in April 2010, when he allegedly shot and knifed the animals before dumping them into a mass grave, including at least one dog that was later found alive, the report said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Canada • Dogs • Sports
soundoff (1,586 Responses)
  1. Rambo

Another product of fear. This person was probably convinced he would loose his job if he refused to kill the dogs.
    For some people, keeping their job comes before ethics, even law. That is found in all levels of our society: politic, police, even in hospitals. The famous collateral murder video was also a direct result of that fear. We need to look at ourselves as a society and look for where we made a wrong turn.

February 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mandy

Absolutly sick! He ought to be put down!what a good for nothing pos! I often volunteer at animal shelters and have seen tons of ppl come in and ask for this breed of dog. I would have taken one myself. It disgust me to know that these poor animals couldnt defend themselves and didnt because they were trained not to be aggresive. Justice system sucks, all of them involved need to be prosecuted!

February 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. animal lover

slit his throat and throw him in a snow filled ditch! let him suffer as the dogs did!

February 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Diane

I am ashamed to be a human. Crying and sobbing at work....realizing how much I LOVE MY DOGS.

February 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Barb

As a Whistler resident please let me assure you that I am as horrified and upset as the rest of the world to hear this news. I have been fortunage enough to make this my home for over thirty years and have been proud to welcome guests from the world over, to show them our beautiful town and enjoy the many wonderful ammenities with them. Please do not punish us for the actions of a few.

February 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

I hope that you all lobby your local authorities to prosecute these "people" to the full extent of the law and revoke their business license immediately. Right or wrong for the community there could well be a backlash.

February 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mydnytmover

hey it happens to humans eveyday,, heck in the USA you get in more trouble getting caught with some pot then raping a little kid!!!! but the DEAth makes alot of money ruining lives while they drink beer a far woest drug,, 2 faced animals,,, the world is screwed

February 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ron

Silly guy. He should have taken a page out of the police officer's handbook. When killing innocent people or animals for sport, you have to say "the dogs were charging me, putting me in fear for my life" or "the dogs were taking an aggressive stance, putting me in fear for my life", or "the dogs were making furtive movements, putting me in fear for my life." Then you get to blow away anything you want and get away with it!

February 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MrsFizzy

People, this sounds like it's down to the actions of 2 people, the owner and the employee. I'm sure there is equal disgust in Canada over this horror story.

I admit though when I saw the headline about dog slaughter after Olympics I immediately thought Beijing ... it just goes to show, once again, that the West is not really so culturally superior as we'd like to think!

February 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sheila Broflovski

BLAME CANADA!

February 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. xavier

yawn. people are slaughtered like this everyday around the world, and you lillies are going to get worked into a frenzy over dogs? going out and throat-slashing these poor dogs a ridiculous solution to the problem, but really...

February 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • kalexia

Triple yawn! I completely agree!

February 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brenda

Typical Canadians. Now everyone knows why we need to secure the border with Canada....to keep them out of the U.S.

February 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kor

Human before animal? HUMANS ARE PART OF THE ANIMAL KINGDOM!!! And dogs equal to a 2-3 year old intelligence? No they are way smarter then that. Humans as a whole are actualy not that intelligent as a species

February 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. trex

I know that there are animal lovers in Canada, and I am sure that this will not stand unpunished. This is at least as bad as what Vick did. Years in prison must follow. Canada, make sure we find out who, what, where, and when concerning justice.

February 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • kalexia

Yes sir! We will find and punish all that were involved.

February 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jbandk9s

omg when I saw the headline, I immediately thought it would be a story about China...but CANADA???? I am beyond sick and horrified. This is how the business owner handles his "loved and named" sled dogs when business dropped off? I hope and pary that every sub-human who is involved in absuing helpless animals to make a buck off their back rots in the hottest corners of hell.

February 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dog-hater

haha!

February 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53