February 1st, 2011

After mass dog slaughter, stressed man files workers' comp

An employee of Canada's Outdoor Adventures company admitted to slaughtering 100 sled dogs, according to a workers compensation report he later filed.

The employee - whose name authorities have not yet released - worked as a general manager of Howling Dogs tour company in Whistler, British Columbia. He claimed he was suffering from post-traumatic stress after carrying out company orders to kill the dogs, the report said.

A company with the same name, Howling Dogs Tours in Canmore, Alberta, has no connection with this case.

The man cited "a slow winter season" that compelled him to decrease the size of the company's dog pack by 30 percent, the report said.

The slaughter took place over the course of two days in April 2010, when he allegedly shot and knifed the animals before dumping them into a mass grave, including at least one dog that was later found alive, the report said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Canada • Dogs • Sports
soundoff (1,586 Responses)
  1. justice for the dogs

For updated information, to support and to make change please 'like'

Your support encourages change

February 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. harpseals

TO EVERYONE WHO FEELS OUTRAGED.... THEN WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING CANADA AS THEY CLUB BABY SEALS EVERY SPRING? DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT. IT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR.

February 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • kakakevin

Yeah I'm ok with that too

February 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • blubberlover

Oh puhleeze. Seals are just meat tubes nature designed to feed sharks and orca and people. They breed too much and eat too much. People feel sorry for them because they're "cute". You won't hear this kind of sympathy for crested hyenas or naked more rats.

February 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bird

this report has NOTHING to do with baby seals. Stick to the subject at hand and go talk about your baby harp seals on the appropriate report!

February 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • tstorm

I AGREE! That's just as sick. Maybe the Canadian government will finally "grow a pair" and put justice to both these horrific acts!

February 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Informed

There has been no harvest of "whitecoat" seal pups in Canada for decades, contrary to the view that many animal rights groups would have you accept. And, there is no such creature as a "baby seal". Offspring of seals are "pups. Offspring of humans are babies.

February 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

The seal hunt is a source of food and income for the Inuit and has been for thousands of years. They did not have guns and the most humane way to kill a seal who is not a baby anymore is not shooting at them from a distance and hitting them who knows where. The way to end it is for people to stop supporting it by buying things made of the fur. Of course, this will make life even more horrendous for the Inuit who have nothing to do with building our greed based cultures that have and are destroying the land, the animals and the water. It comes down to capitalism and telling people that the right to make money overwhelms the need to be humane. This was done because of a fall off in bookings. Same old garbage about how we have to accept that capitalism must will out. It is a greed problem.

We do not need your NFL contracts. Canadians ARE becoming more like Americans every day. There was a time I could be proud of Canada but that is compromised by the rise of greed. I have lived in the US, NJ, and did not find the people to be very different except for the constant bragging and chest pounding about being god's gift to the universe that happens with many Americans. Canada does not do that. We consider it in bad taste to run around telling everyone that we are greatest even if we feel we are. This event is not about Canada. All countries have their monsters. It is about accepting the premise that anything done for profit is a good thing.

This slaughter is not likely to just go away. The outrage in Canada is palpable and more than one level of law enforcement is involved. This was an act of greed pure and simple. It is a criminal code offense and will be dealt with.

February 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chieatfetus

what a terrible waste of life-may this guy be cursed forever. where is the justice? how cruel and absolutely INHUMANE. this idiot ought to serve prison time for each dog he killed inhumanely -what goes around comes around

February 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Truthwillsetyoufree

Sickies on this forum today....

February 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lori

i am digusted and appalled after reading this story. this guy had the nerve to get compensation for what he did, he should suffer the same fate only, i would not have as good aim, one shot to each of his legs, one to each arm and leave him for the wolves!!!!! i would hope that his company is shut down for good , all the rest of the dogs be seized and given to better homes. he should be put in jail!

February 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nate G

There's always outcry and uproar when it comes to killing animals, such as dogs, but baby humans don't seem to matter. If you reached in the uterus of a dog and killed all of it's pups, the media would react more violently to that than if a mother aborts her twin babies.

What a sick world we live in!

February 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • phillip

I am pretty sure people would be outraged if someone blew the heads off of toddlers as they tried to run away.

Fetuses aren't "babies" you sensationalist creep.

February 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • GAKittyLover

Previous post indicates replies not working, so just in case... @ Nate G: The fundamental difference is that a dog has no VOICE or CHOICE in the matter, if someone aborts her pups...a HUMAN female can (and should be allowed to) make the decision on her own.

February 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jobl

get your right wing butt out of my country. if abortion is banned like you freaks want, thousands of women will die each year from botched iback alley abortions and from being forced to carry non-viable fetuses.

PROUD to be CURED of christ.

February 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • JEM

Until you have a uterus Nate, shut up.

February 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • WayOutThere

@Phil – if "fetuses are not 'babies' " – then when is it exactly a baby? Is there a definite time in a pregnancy, or not until it is born? Is it not a baby if it is before 3 months into the pregnancy? Or 6 months? Is it only a baby when it is officially born? Let's define it precisely when a baby is a baby, so we can all understand when life is actually life and it is evil to take its life away.

February 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Busted

"reached in the uterus of a dog " – of course people would be outraged... that's gross. But I'm not sure how the media would work it. Thank god you have that crystal ball there to read the future. By chance does it say who will win this Sunday?

February 1, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

@WayOutThere
      What is it with you people? Do you have to turn every subject into your pet peeve and as an opportunity to school others? Did it occur to you to feel some compassion for the dogs and have some understanding of the horror people feel about their butchering? I assume you are some form of extreme Christian so I assume you know that in your world these dogs were also god's creation. This is not about fetuses. You are attempting to sidetrack a discussion that is also a moral issue. You make so glad that I fled Christianity. Do you get brownie points in heaven from shoving your values at everyone? Glad I am not going there.

February 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • WayOutThere

@CalgarySandy
      No, I am not a Christian (I am an atheist – which makes me value life even more I think. If there is no afterlife, we need to value life that much more), I have a dog (which I love very much), have a baby coming along the way (which I love very much and am very excited about) and I am not sidetracking anything. If you read the posts BEFORE mine, you will see that this topic tangent already occurred and I am responding to it. Your "assumptions" are completely false, and to say I am the extremist when I only asked some hard questions is hypocritical. You have latched onto me and my "moral ground" only because it may differ from yours and therefore must be shouted down and suppressed. Others' moral grounds in this thread are OK only because you agree with them. So what, I do not believe in abortion for the purpose of birth control or killing of any sort. What happened to the dogs was sickening but I did notice that you did not even attempt to answer any of the questions I put out there – so I am not shamed by you, I actually feel more validated by you. Instead of answering questions, you attack to distract from the point.

February 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doglover

First of all how does this story have anything to do with abortion rights. Women have the right to choice whether or not to have children. Thanks for trying to bring us back to the 1800 when we had no rights. So do you think its better to give birth to baby and then throw it in the trash. Most people who have abortions have reasons behind them. And no amount of protection is 100%. REMEMBER THAT!
      Anywho! This story is about a horrible man who should be punished for the crimes he has committed. Him and this company are horrible human being with no thought of anyone but there greed. The company and employee should be shut down, fined and jailed. There are many places that would of taken these animals. DId they even try? I hope they rot in jail for along time. We all need to remember that yes they might only be animals but to most of us they are our best friends. I hope these animals rest in peace and I hope that the people responsible suffer for along time.

February 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. justin

p.s This didnt happen in vancouver , it happend in whistler .

February 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

?????

February 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

Whistler is in Vancouver. Vancouver is a province!

February 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • et

Vancouver is a city, not a province. Whistler is 2 hours or so from Vancouver. British Columbia is the province.

February 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

Whistler is in Vancouver? Vancouver is a Provence? Wow. Americans...

February 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

Interesting how Vancouver is distancing itself from Whistler while claiming it during the recent Olympics.

February 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robin

I saw this news article the other day and was very disgusted at what was done to those poor dogs.For a dog lover to literally take on the job of executing those dogs after being paid blood money to do this,it's an Inexcusable act. But,what's worse is he filed a claim to worker's compensation board for Post dramatic stess syndrom,I think this is an absolute joke and for them to have believed him.His compensation claim should be cut off.Also,I think the company Outdoor Adventures needs to seriously pay for there involvement in this hanious act as well

February 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. beth from canmore

Warning, the details of the killings are in this news report and they are disturbing. Read only if you can handle it.

This is one of the most horrible things I have ever heard. The man says he was forced to do it by his employers but that's a bull excuse. Did they have a gun to his head!? He should have gone to the police as soon as they told him to do it. I have NO sympathy for him! He AND the people who told him to do it should all be shot the same way the dogs were! You know, with half their faces blown off for 15 mins or so before they are finally killed.

February 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill811

Well, according to the Vancouver Sun, the employee WAS compensated. What a sick man. I agree with whoever said it, this man deserves every panic attack, bad dream, and traumatic flashback he gets. The poor dogs were tethered and those that were not shot had their throats slit. What kind of worker's comp covers emotional damage for sick people like that?!

February 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. masonbates12345

They did not try very hard to place these dogs. In the New England region, these dogs would be wanted – especially in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. I know that Sled Dogs are not good pets for most people but certain areas in the U.S. and Canada, they would have been wanted.

February 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sienna

That's what I was wondering about too. I have a difficult time believing that they would not be able to place these dogs elsewhere if they made a serious effort to do so. Very sad story – I stopped reading half way.

February 1, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. will III

the level of insanity in this world is frightening........

February 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jimbo

I could hardly read this article. Animal deaths like this trouble me way more than human deaths. I know that makes lots of you mad, but I can't help it. Humans don't appear helpless and are sure not as loving as pets are to humans, especially dogs. I suppose it's becuase pets have a love for humans that can't be broken no matter how bad you treat them they will always look at you for protection and love. I wish I wasn't at work right now, I want to go home and pet my dog!!!

February 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

ditto for me on all accounts.

February 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cmac

Jimbo- I feel exactly as you do. I care for my animals more than adult human beings. I care for my animals the way I care for children and the reasons are simple – each is defenseless and depends on US for love, compassion, care, and guidance in an ever hostile world. When Creator placed us here, he placed us here to care for his creation. Some of us are doing a great job, some of us could do a better job, and the others – well, they will answer for their actions. If not now, then later. Take comfort in the fact that this WAS hard to read, because it means you have a HEART.

February 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Autumn

I am so glad to know that there are other people out there that feel the same way about animals as I do. Animals don't have choices in a human world, especially domesticated ones. Humans have the ability to make choices, no matter the result, they are responsible for them good and bad.

February 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. diane

What's with Canadians and their atrocities towards anminals. This makes me so ill. And this man gets Workmans Comp? He should get jail time.

February 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • VancouverGirl

BC it's only in Canada? PUHLEASE, Michael Vick is AMERICAN, as are his cohorts working with him in his dog fighting venture....

February 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie Baynton

Every Canadian?
      Just cause one DISGUSTING HUMAN does something this awful, you label all Canadians?
      I don't think so.

February 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill811

1/10/11: Willow, AK: 150+ dogs rescued from home where dogs were left with no food, or water. many were severely malnourished, shivering, and some eating their own feces. 30 were puppies, and 22 others were found dead.

1/5/11 Jersey Shore, PA: Dog found drowned in river with rope around its neck and mouth tying it to a cinderblock.

12/25/10 Tallahassee, FL: 6 cats found in a ditch- they had been struck with a blunt object and shot. One survived.

Guess animal abuse isn't just in Canada, huh Diane....

February 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paul

I'm sickened beyond belief by this. Totally irrelevant whether he was following orders. Quit! Refuse! These dogs could have found homes with a little effort. Business is uninterested in anything but the bottom line and is indicative of the sickness underlying our society today.

February 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Juan G Casanova

Animal Cruelty has to stop every where. Look at what Michael Vick in our Country (USA)...
    As that dog lay on the ground, fighting for air, Quanis Phillips grabbed its front legs and Michael Vick grabbed its back legs. They swung the dog over their head like a jump rope then slammed it to the ground. The first impact didn’t kill it. So, Phillips and Vick slammed it again. The two men kept at it, alternating back and forth, pounding the creature against the ground until; at last, the little red dog was dead.” read all the facts at the following link and lets us all come together in the noble cause of protecting all animal life and stop Cruelty toward defenseless Creature world wide.

February 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53