50 people in 50 days: Texas girl vanished after leaving bus
February 2nd, 2011

50 people in 50 days: Texas girl vanished after leaving bus

Editor's note: Nancy Grace's new show on HLN, "Nancy Grace: America's Missing," is dedicated to finding 50 people in 50 days. As part of the effort, which relies heavily on audience participation, CNN.com's news blog This Just In will feature the stories of the missing.

This is the 13th case, and it aired Wednesday night on HLN.

Alexandria "Ali" Lowitzer, 16, was last seen getting off a bus just three houses down from her Spring, Texas, home on April 26.

Shortly before that, she spoke to her mother about her plans to pick up her paycheck from a restaurant just a half-mile walk from the bus stop. Restaurant employees say Ali never made it there.

Police classified her as a runaway. There is no sign of foul play, but her parents feels that something terrible has happened to their daughter.

1. N. W. Madison

"America's Missing's" one hour format is much to long to cover a single missing person. The producers should seriously consider covering at least 3, giving each equal time. As it is now, they keep repeating the same thing over and over, as there is only so much to say about a single case.

February 3, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. raven

It made me sick when I learned the cops just wrote her off as a runaway because there was no evidence to suggest foul play and left the burden of investigating up to the parents. I realise she wrote that stuff in her journal but it was over a year old . And besides runaways dont deserve to be looked for ??

February 3, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Red Yankee

1) Cops don't track down runaways over a certain age, they have crimes to investigate.
      2) If there is no evidence, there is nothing to investigate.

February 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sidewinder

Exactly Raven. And does it make sense to assume she ran away without so much as picking up her last paycheck? In writing her off as a runaway the police treated her disappearance as low priority, surmising she left by her own volition, and most likely missed out on locating the girl during those most crucial first hours she was gone (amber alert?). I'm sorry, but if that was my daughter I would have had someone's ass. This girl is most likely endangered. One can only pray she is found alive and unharmed, but I doubt it. There are a lot of sick individuals out there.

February 3, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Good morning sidewinder, raven. Interesting discussion you are having. Carry on! he he

February 3, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • sphae

Why would you say "He He" at the end of your comment???

February 5, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Veritas

@Raven and Sidewinder i agree completely with both of you. Her being a minor she deserves the same treatment as any other child (amber alert etc.). Why would she call her mom if she was running away? Why didnt she get her paycheck? I dont understand why a child in her early teens is treated like an adult when kids in thier teens are known to make bad choices. Just because she may have left on her own doesnt mean shes not in serious danger. Its sad and disturbing to think of her poor mother left powerless (with no help from law enforcement) to find her beloved daughter.

February 3, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

If one were to report that his 17 yr. old daughter had been taken by a man running a back-breaking tire and wheel store while collecting warveteran disability checks at the same time....(cont)

February 3, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip (cont)

Wont let me post you need to show proof b4 they wil investigate

February 3, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

The police will take your word for it, but only if you are what street thugas call a "ratfink". And they will pay you for filing the report!

February 3, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. EJG

This happened a mile from my house not a day goes by that I don't see this young ladies face on a poster. The cops here in Harris County have failed this family and failed this community. We are surrounded by miles and miles of woods that need to be searched I fear the worst for this child.

February 3, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip (cont)

Even after DNA proves this man rayped your daughter, all that happens is he has to pay child support. He still works his butt off at his shop here in town, while collecting full VA disabilty. He even claims to have contracted 'can't get it up' disease while serving. true story...happened to a close friend of mine.

February 3, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip (cont)

Google "VA fraud" if you, like the DA, won't take me for my word. These street thugs who join the army, when they et out, they make fraudulent disability claims and collect about 2,800 bucks/mo. with full medical...and they most all are packing loaded handguns. That backfired on this man...while he was reaching for his gun, I was knocking him out. Sure, he walks with a limmp and has trouble going pee-pee, but it cost me 87,500 bucks to take the law in my own hands, plus a felony conviction. Face it, there is nothing being done about this, and if you yourself do something, you are punished severely while the truly guilty skate. (albiet not very well thanks to the crooked leg)

February 3, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

My one comment before I go to work:

All children who are missing must be investigated...and if the evidence shows that child is a runaway, so be it. But to automatically assume that a teen is a runaway is like automatically assuming everyone arrested is guilty, because they were arrested. Not so, as we've all seen before.

And, Philip, taking the law into your own hands doesn't always work; the wrong person is usually convicted. I'll probably get thrashed for this, but I would have done the same thing as you did....

February 3, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. NancyGrace

@N.W.Madison: It's my MO to beat a dead horse. By beating a dead horse I mean I like to repeat the same thing over and over again. By repeating the same thing over and over again I can fool the dimwitted viewer into believing I'm really intelligent and leaving no detail out. By detail I mean things the normal human is too stupid to see for him/herself. Please refer to dead horse in wikipedia for more groundbreaking analysis.

February 3, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

banasy! Ummm, I don't think so cupcake! Not unless yer handy with a shovel. You are what they call a caste-iron marshmellow toots! And if it were on my shift that you found yourself in that position, the first thing that happens is you are taken somewhere safe. Period.

February 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Now, if the violence erupted before we could get you away, I'd be expecting to see one fiesty little momma fighting like the dickens. We could do a lot of damage you and I banasy. But I prefer the other way. Either way, I'd want a gal like you there. You are one hella gal I tell ya. And I know.[women] Women aren't from Venus, they're from Chicago dummies! (banasy lives in Chicago)

February 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |