Aguilera flubs national anthem at Super Bowl
February 6th, 2011

Aguilera flubs national anthem at Super Bowl

O say, can Christina have a do-over?

Christina Aguilera helped kick off Sunday's Super Bowl with a singer's nightmare, flubbing the words of "The Star-Spangled Banner" about 40 seconds into the song as tens of millions prepared to watch the game between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Standing at midfield at Texas' Cowboys Stadium, the singer-actress mixed a previously sung clause with the one she was supposed to be on.

Here's what she sang, with the error in bold:

"O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
What so proudly we watched at the twilight’s last [unintelligible].”

That fourth line was supposed to be: "O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming."

In a statement released by her publicist, Aguilera explained what happened:

"I got so lost in the moment of the song that I lost my place," the singer said. "I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through."

Aguilera isn't the first person to have trouble with the song, as Time magazine's "Top 10 Worst National-Anthem Renditions" will remind us.

The list includes Michael Bolton's effort at a 2003 playoff baseball game in Boston's Fenway Park, where he had to pause midsong and check some notes before correctly getting through the same line that troubled Aguilera.

Aguilera sang the national anthem twice during last year's NBA finals. She delivered both performances without incident.

- CNN's Denise Quan contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Football • Pro football • Showbiz • Sports
soundoff (2,138 Responses)
  1. xj6response

They should have had some Canadians do the anthem and 1/2 time show. They always do a great job

February 7, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Linda

I know a teenage boy who can sing the National Anthem beautifully. He doesn't have a big name, but he is wonderful and would definitely make the country and the NFL proud. She had a name, but failed singing the song.

February 7, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Richard Parrilla

Check out the 1997, 2000, and 2003 Super Bowl national anthems done by Luther Vandross, Faith Hill, and the Dixie Chicks respectively. Now those are what I call national anthems.

February 7, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cindy

What is even more disrepectful than her screwing it up is how the Flatlanders in Chicago do it – they cheer and yell during the entire thing. If you want to see it done right, come to a Milwaukee Admirals' hockey game where the only other noise you can here in the arena is people singing along in a proper manner.

February 7, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. JJ

This was the start of a horrible half time show too...............

February 7, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Notafootballfan

I'm so glad I watched a dvd – Clover Field – instead of the national anthem, the commercials, the game, or half-time. And believe me, that was a bad movie.

February 7, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. eboy

Seriously, how many people caught the flub? How many of truly know all the lyrics to the anthem? I was so in the moment of the game that I didn't realize the flub until the evening news. Try singing this song by yourself with no musical backup and millions of people watching.

February 7, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. cheryl

What do you expect when you ask that the song of pride of the U. S to be performed by bimbo with no talent!!

February 7, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. John in Delco

I I'd really like to see Lauren Hart, who sings the anthems before the Flyers games perform at such an event. Her voice is crisp, direct, and quickly gets them song done correctly without interjecting extra ego. She has a classy appearance without being a pre-madonna. Check her out if you are at a Philly event.

February 7, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Orange County

She was terrible. Cant they just find someone to sing the song, not change it, not do it "their way". Ugh.

February 7, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. B=Dog

She looks HORRIBLE.... I remember back when she only had one butt 🙂

February 7, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cdn Jim

It's the national anthem moron, it's not about you. Show some respect next time.

February 7, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Gary59

I'm sure her voice coach jane fonda is very proud of her. She has disrespected this country's anthem before. Yet another washed up so called singer's vie for attention. I bet if it was the Mexican national anthem – she would have done it respectfully. I hope her so called career suffers from this - before she is deported.

February 7, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. DolphT

It's a tough song to sing, but if you can't do it as written, decline the job. I'm sick of "arrangements" of the national anthem that singers hope will show off their voice or hide their lack of one.

February 7, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. MIchael

To be selected to sing at the Superbowl is a tremendous honor. With such honor comes responsibility, the responsibility to sing the song correctly (we can all agree at least that the lyrics should be accurate)? The fact that Christina made a fiasco of our National Anthem is an embarrassment to the entire country. I am as left-wing as they come, and I do not wrap myself in the American Flag. However, as an American, I am genuinely mortified and insulted by her performance.

February 7, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78