Aguilera flubs national anthem at Super Bowl
February 6th, 2011

Aguilera flubs national anthem at Super Bowl

O say, can Christina have a do-over?

Christina Aguilera helped kick off Sunday's Super Bowl with a singer's nightmare, flubbing the words of "The Star-Spangled Banner" about 40 seconds into the song as tens of millions prepared to watch the game between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Standing at midfield at Texas' Cowboys Stadium, the singer-actress mixed a previously sung clause with the one she was supposed to be on.

Here's what she sang, with the error in bold:

"O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
What so proudly we watched at the twilight’s last [unintelligible].”

That fourth line was supposed to be: "O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming."

In a statement released by her publicist, Aguilera explained what happened:

"I got so lost in the moment of the song that I lost my place," the singer said. "I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through."

Aguilera isn't the first person to have trouble with the song, as Time magazine's "Top 10 Worst National-Anthem Renditions" will remind us.

The list includes Michael Bolton's effort at a 2003 playoff baseball game in Boston's Fenway Park, where he had to pause midsong and check some notes before correctly getting through the same line that troubled Aguilera.

Aguilera sang the national anthem twice during last year's NBA finals. She delivered both performances without incident.

- CNN's Denise Quan contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Football • Pro football • Showbiz • Sports
soundoff (2,138 Responses)
  1. pantarra

not only did the dumb blonde forget the words but her attempt at being artistic sucked bad.. this is a typical DUMB BLONDE ..The NFL should not pay her ....or was this a scheme to get her name talked about being her career has halted.....BOycott her records

February 7, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. GODZILLA1

She and Britney Spears have this in common – NEITHER CAN SING!

February 7, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. OldFashioned

I'm sorry, but I believe the National Anthem should be sung with the correct melody. The person NOT to get to sing anything correctly is Christina Aguilera. Her style has always been to sing the correct note and then sing the next 4 above and below it in some sort of yodel (I think she wants everybody to admire her yodeling). It's like she has to yodel everything she sings. I am sick of that. I was so disappointed in the melody she sung that I played Whitney Houston's version on YouTube right after that so I could get a proper start to the Super Bowl. In my opinion, Whitney's has always been the best!! If I don't get chillbumps listening to the anthem, then it isn't any good. Aguilera gave me NO chillbumps.

February 7, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Josh

There is the old saying, "you get what you pay for".

How could anyone hire a comedian of such well known style, like Roseanne, and not expect the performance she gave?

February 7, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jacquelyne

She was a disgrace as was her voice.

February 7, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

She looked and sang terrible..of all the words that all americans should know it is the National Anthem. I don't care if she was nervous or not..she is a singer who apparently sings in front of millions of people each year so don't use that excuse..she just plain sucked

February 7, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Paul Cooper

Don't sweat it Christina. After that awful half-time show, flubbing one line is nothing.

February 7, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • JJ

How true, what a terrible performance by the Black-Eyed Peas. I couldn't believe they were doing the halftime show, but I shouldn't be surprised, they haven't had in good music at the show in years. Superbowl halftime show hasn't been good since the 90s.

February 7, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. palintwit

Next time they should let the dancing porker up there to do her thing. (Bristol Palin)

February 7, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. JJ

I'm going to be absolutely truthful here. I couldn't give a flying %@^$ if she messed up or not, knowing or not knowing the words to the national anthem doesn't necessarily make you a poor American. I think much more important than some song is the idea that this country was founded upon, and that can't be destroyed by a flubbed song.

February 7, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. mickey

she sings like it's a gymnastic event; vocal acrobatics with no substance or soul.

it's all about her, not the lyrics.

February 7, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Really????????

It's a swing............... and a miss! How about this idea...... Let's have a very talented soldier sing the song.

February 7, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

Great Idea!!! I'm sick of celebrities twisting stuff up.

February 7, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. Rufus T. Firefly

My problem with it wasn't the flub. It was the three billion notes per word that grated my ears. It's like "look at me! Look at how I can hit my notes! Aren't you proud? Of ME?"

February 7, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. Carl S

I know I can't sing or hold a tune, but at least I know how the national anthem is supposed to be sung. This is what happens when you have a cookie cutter singer that has an IQ less then the speed limit. Personal Opinion, the only thing she has is the ability to warble her words while she is singing other then that she is now better then some dude singing in the shower, and now she screws up the national anthem...

February 7, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. I'm Right

NOBODY CARES, NOBODY KNOWS THE NATIONAL ANTHEM –

February 7, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bill

Isn't it time that the powers that be just find a high school student, who knows the words and can sing our national anthem correctly. This is an embarrasement and continues to be so! It does not need to be jazzed up, just sung the way it was written. After all, it is our national anthem!!!

February 7, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78