Aguilera flubs national anthem at Super Bowl
February 6th, 2011

Aguilera flubs national anthem at Super Bowl

O say, can Christina have a do-over?

Christina Aguilera helped kick off Sunday's Super Bowl with a singer's nightmare, flubbing the words of "The Star-Spangled Banner" about 40 seconds into the song as tens of millions prepared to watch the game between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Standing at midfield at Texas' Cowboys Stadium, the singer-actress mixed a previously sung clause with the one she was supposed to be on.

Here's what she sang, with the error in bold:

"O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
What so proudly we watched at the twilight’s last [unintelligible].”

That fourth line was supposed to be: "O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming."

In a statement released by her publicist, Aguilera explained what happened:

"I got so lost in the moment of the song that I lost my place," the singer said. "I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through."

Aguilera isn't the first person to have trouble with the song, as Time magazine's "Top 10 Worst National-Anthem Renditions" will remind us.

The list includes Michael Bolton's effort at a 2003 playoff baseball game in Boston's Fenway Park, where he had to pause midsong and check some notes before correctly getting through the same line that troubled Aguilera.

Aguilera sang the national anthem twice during last year's NBA finals. She delivered both performances without incident.

– CNN's Denise Quan contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Football • Pro football • Showbiz • Sports
soundoff (2,138 Responses)
  1. cimmaron

This was the most disgusting rendition of our National Anthem I've ever heard. She had to sing it acappela because she can't stay in the same key. I wish they would have a high school, college or even an Air Force band play the song as it was written. Do any of you people know the story behind the anthem? It should be done with dignity and pride. The half time show was equally horrible.

February 7, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. cathy

we have two wars going on, with Egypt about to go into a state of war, and all you people care is how bad a this girl screwed up the National Anthem. I get it she messed it up but I know I couldn't have done it right and I know every word by heart.
    She stood in front of thousands of people and if you count millions watching live on T.V. So I ask could any one on this site have done a better job. I don't think so....... Her voice is beautiful SHE is beautiful. She is human like the rest of us and makes mistakes, give her a break.. I think she did a great job. it should be the half time show everyone should be upset with they were awful.....

February 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. char

There is more outrage over a national anthem messsup then our president going to a anti american church for 20+ yrs. Yup our priorities are screwed up

February 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Christina Rocks

To all the haters, since you're so Perfect all the time, you've got room to talk! I wonder how you'd do in front of the masses that attended! So shut up already!

February 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. H8 Illegals

I think when you sing something before Millions (like our National Anthem) - You might want to know the words to the song before you get up on stage!!! Geesh!!! She sounded a Bloated Screeching Fat Lady that got the wrong order from Crispy Cremes. She is horrible, I can't believe that troll was on the stage. Maybe the NFL needs to REVIEW what the singers are going to sing before they put them up there- instead of letting get naked and screech the wrong words.

February 7, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amused

You are a complete idiot! Christina was niether naked nor screeching... You DO realize the music of the National anthem is an old british DRINKING SONG!!! So, unless you can do better (which I seriously doubt!) you should get off your high horse!...

February 7, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. PD Gupta

I guess that Ms. Augilera's flub on the national anthem was nothing but a bad omen for the Steelers because she is from Pittsburgh and her home team just lost the moment of the game like her by three interceptions and touchdowns by the Green Bay packers! What a coincidence!

February 7, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Josh

I find this to be Unacceptable! part of being a profestional singer is knowing the lyrics you are supposed to sing. her failing to do so is just like a carpenter comming to you home to fix a fence and leaving the hammer at home. I have no oppintion of her as an artist, but failing to do half your job would get anyone else on here fired. I find her lack of prepperation very unprofetional. she cheated her fans, and her self.

February 7, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Snob

Blondes are dumb ...just forgive them and move on LOL ;)

February 7, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. justmy$.02

I get that it's probably terrifying to sing in front of that many people, but that's not exactly a new experience for her. It's what she does and has done FOR YEARS. No one can deny she has an amazing voice, but maybe if she had focused on singing the song the way it's intended rather than "making it her own" she would've remembered the lines. I thought it was awful – regardless of the mistake. Sing it the RIGHT way!!

February 7, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. denise

Pigs can NOT sing anyways so NO shocker to me!

February 7, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dan

She was a terrible choice to sing the national anthem. Lea Michele would have been better. Since the Superbowl was in DFW, they could have had Faith Hill or another country artist also.

February 7, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. outinthecold

who really cares. a nice twist

February 7, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jan

Guess what folks.... she is human, at least we know that she was actually singing and not lip-syncing like so many others do.

February 7, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Mike

Dance\Pop\Hip Hop Ho. What did the organizers expect?

February 7, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. couldubanydumber?

As others have said, the performers who are hired to sing the national anthem seem to be intent on making it all about themselves, instead of all about the meaning of the words. Singing any national anthem shouldn't be a solo performance, in my opinion. The singer should be leading everyone in the song, not attempting to create a music video with herself as the star. I would love to see the producers of these debacles have excellent singers, not pop stars, SING the song, not murder it.

February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78