Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. kburgoyne

It's getting so you can't tell the parties apart anymore. You used to be able to count on Democrats to have $ex scandals, and Republicans to have financial scandals. Lately it appears both types of scandals are equal opportunity for both parties.

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. drcid777

Alex- Well put. Morals aside, what kind of mind can this person have to believe that he would not be recognized? Free of perspective, let's keep him free of power too

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David

I found it ironic that Republicans continue to preach about what is moral and what is not. Clearly this man exemplifies the faulty logic of their belief. Republicans make up rules for society to cover up their imperfections and call Gay marriage "not moral".

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Left Wing and Darn Proud of it

Tea-Baggers: The Official Do As I Say Not As I do party,
    also I am so sick of that same old tripe about gay marriage being a threat to Families, lying cheating hypocrites like this guy
    have done more damage to the American Family that Gays living together happily

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

Give FoxNews and the Republicans a chance to spin the story before you come to conclusions. They'll probably claim that marriage equality polluted this poor man's otherwise strong morals.

February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GuestColin

Awesome. What a tool..

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SmarterHuman

As smart as any typical rethuglican...

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim Chapman

This is what happens when you and your party put themselves on a moral pedestal, and pontificate on "family values."

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Doug

That is too funny. What a moron.

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DONO

He had to quit, he was republican and straight. We know those don't got together.

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JeriD

I can't help but think that there will be more to this story! Especially given the history of closeted GOP representatives that have been outed recent times.

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sockpuppet

Ok my comment is missing–must've been something I said haha
    I was just saying how dumb this guy is because I've never seen a Craigslist ad with a pic above the neck-it's usually just body shots, mostly genitalia. If an anonymous retarded sl u t (male or female) on the internet knows better, how can a guy who makes his living in the public eye be so stupid?

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

and YEAH I've looked at those ads before....I just can't get over how ska n k y people are lol

February 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

ok so I see from a better article elsewhere that he sent the pic in an email to a complete stranger from CL...either way, just as stupid

February 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. 29 Palms officer's wife

It's sad to see yet another person lose himself to what has been a big problem for many, the social network. What's next? Congressmen, Pastors, Priests, what's next? I hate the fact that most Republicans set their lives on moral family values, and display to America just how unimportant those family values are. This guy should step down, his character is worthless. Whatever happen to background checks......Just sayin'

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DAPACE

I'll bet that right about now he wishes he was hiking the Appalachian Trail.

February 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Andrew

So much for the "new" republican. It seems that they are up to all of their old tricks.

February 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gypsy

The real question is when will he start his new gig as a personality / commentator on CNN?

February 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |