Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. Wow Oh Wow

I can see why some would want him to resign because he was married, and he's still chasing tail.

Myself....I'd want him to resign because he's clearly too stupid to hold office if he's posting his actual picture on CL to get said tail. Like someone wasn't going to notice it.

February 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. southern style

why shud he hasta resign??? Obuttcrack sit in his palace an laugh and amerecan value and the DUMocRATS still vote fur him .... i cant wait 4 2012 when Amereca will be recoverd by real Amerecans, we will send himself back to keyna were he can rule them into a the dark age

February 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • lagunadave

Your education must be incomlpete.

February 9, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

I am going to guess that he is making fun of Southerners.

February 9, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

What matters what anyone says? He DID resign. He thought it was bad enough.

February 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wendy Croom

Did you mean to type that in Comic Sans?

February 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tim

remind me to not totally screw my life up

February 9, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Bleh

@SO TRUE: so true!
    They sure got that song down, along with Lee's pants!

February 9, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. RUFFNUTT

Why am I not surprised? A Republican is a Republican and all are flaming hypocrites!!! Such are the right-wing fanatics in Washington! LOL!

February 9, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. kburgoyne

Somebody needs to start printing this guy's shirtless picture on rally posters for marriage equality. :-)

February 9, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wendy Croom

February 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bleh

Oh, the old Kenyon thing again. Same old, same old!

February 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. cas

Actually he is likely a typical of many GOP representatives......this "family values/GOD/Christianity" is a charade put on for the naive ...you know, the kind of people who wouldn't never figure out how unfair and unbalanced Faux News is. They hug their bible and create this Phantom enemy they call "liberals/left" etc....ironically these people they hate are critical to the strength of U.S. Let us create two nations...one with bible and one with all the liberals.

I don't believe that those who run for GOP offices are equally gullible as their audience, for some it is an opportunity for a good employment...until you get with your pant or in this case shirt down....

February 9, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Bad Man

Funny how all these DEMO DUMMIES are making remarks about "family values" when most of the people in their party have none. Do the names Barney Frank – who had a male "call boy" living under his roof and that boozebag and murderer, Teddy Kennedy ring a bell LIBS?

February 9, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • kburgoyne

It's the Republicans who are being the hypocrits, NOT the Democrats.

February 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

Bad Man, then perhaps the GOP should not campaign on family values.

February 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • nah

Both sides have been full of it for a long time now, too bad you slow people have not caught on yet.

February 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jessica

Ugh. I'm so glad to know idiocy does occur in my district in Western NY alone, but also the neighboring district. I'm in the 29th district so glad to have our congressman Eric Massa resign for tickling his male staff members. People 30 minutes from me in the neighboring county get this guy posting ads on Craiglist. What's wrong with our congressman in Western NY?!

February 9, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jessica

Does NOT occur in my district alone, rather. Sorry.

February 9, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kburgoyne

"The times they are a'changin'." - Another Republican demonstrating the Republicans hypocrisy of claiming they're the party of "family values", and a Demcoratic President and First Lady who are first rate role models for the American family.

February 9, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • lol

What a typical fool for siding with people on a party basis.

February 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. zwizard

Bleh I will let God judge if I have it right, not you or anyone like you. I have a lot of clues and my ancestors bled to establish this country and I am smart enough to see the changes and the actions that bring that change. I too served my country, not just an airhead spouting off without thinging.

February 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Bleh

The so-called “hypocrisy” charge is consistent with inane GOP attempts to bash the Dems. It has about as much depth to it as the charge that Barrack Obama is responsible for a war he did not start, and saddling the nation with a crippling debt he did not create.

Really, the right-wing conservatives are shameless.

Just as Lee is.

February 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Alert U

I guess it's no big deal when a governor travelled all the way to Argentina to satisfy his needs. Stafford served out his term and gets his full post-service compensation. I am surprised Lee choose to actually resign knowing GOP people gives the thumbs up....David Vitter and the list goes on and on.

February 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wendy Croom

Stanford.

February 9, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Martha

He looks like he's drunkm all red-faced and tired-looking..and I'm sorry, but this guy is so NOT good-looking...yuck...rough trade!

February 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply