February 16th, 2011

3 U.S. marshals shot serving warrant; 1 dead

[Update 1:35 p.m. ET] One of the three deputy U.S. marshals shot Wednesday has died, according to U.S. Marshals Service spokesman Jeffrey Carter.

The officer died from a shotgun blast while serving an arrest warrant in Elkins, West Virginia, Carter said.

One deputy "continues to recover from his injuries," and the third has been treated and released, the spokesman said.

[Posted 11:04 a.m. ET] Three deputy U.S. marshals were shot while serving an arrest warrant at a home in Elkins, West Virginia, at about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service said.

Their condition was not immediately known, he said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • West Virginia
  1. king d

Come on americans stop watching nra sponsored foxnews. Simply banning guns wont work ur right. Outlaw the manufacturing and production of guns. Sell gunpowder at 100,000 dollors a pound

February 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wvuproud

How many law officers are killed in wv, as apposed to the citys and everywere else. There are very little gun crimes here compaired to famous citys,at least I feel safe walking down the street here . I believe in my second amendment rights and there are nut cases and druggies everywere else as well. So think about that before you bad mouth my state thanks.

February 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cody

people that think that regular citizens shouldnt be able to have firearms to protect themselves and their families are just idiots trying to control everything everyone does thats why people get killed in home invasions and robberies everyone should have the right to protect themselves

February 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John G

When it takes over 5 minutes for a police officer to reach you after calling 911 and the intruder is in the house I'm sure all you pansies would still rather not have a gun. YEAH RIGHT!

Look into how long it would take the police to get to your house then think how long it would take for an intruder to knock you off.

February 16, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RUFFNUTT

i guess the guy didnt like the warrent.. why dont they just stake the guy out and catch him out side?

February 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. VI

I am so glad I live in Canada! We are so fortunate to have laws to control who has ownership in weapons; to a certain degree. I am very hesitate in visiting the U.S. because there are so many guns there.

February 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cheesehead

I believe CNN is trying to use this issue improperly. Yesterday on the site they posted Breaking News that implied Janet Napolitano might have been shot.

February 16, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe

Hey Joe, I'm Christian. I'll kill for protection of my family, not for fun.

February 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Trina

Why the comments abovt immigrants? did an immigrant or an american shoot the marshals?

February 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jacksonville

U mean guilty till proven innocent ... America is still as twisted as it was 20 years ago..... the morale hasn't increased only the technology.... but my main problem is the group blame. Y can't people blame the person who did it and them alone? So caught up in stereo typing nowadays.
    Get off your high horses and see what's really going on and stop the he say she say......

February 16, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryo

I started the post with the words On the radio side of the ensiubss to note how media time buyers of both television and radio take time spent with the medium in question as a factor before deciding which channels or outlets to place their advertising. Thus raw data can be incidental to making those choices. And I have no concern about whether PPMs are run in the rest of NY State, although in a sense they are run in the Long Island, NY market as part of NYC.

April 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tamelle

Those who would argue Guns don't kill people and rather that people kill people are the most narrow minded and selfish people in our society.

They hold up the rights to bare arms as if it ignores the obvious, you can have your car, passport, boat hunt, fish and sell alcohol but you need license.

Guns in any hand can kill, we must licence who sells them,
    Who buys them, what they buy and how much and get the buyers picture and finger print and DNA and investigate the buyer before they get the weapons.

If you cannot understand that you are morone and should shoot yourself.

February 16, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. I'm from Elkins, WV

Beender,
    You need to go back there and do more research, not everyone is armed and not everyone is crazy. Never has a gun in my house!!!!! It is a shame that people are labeled as crazy because of their misfortune of not having a higher education. Most kids do not have the luxury of attending collage after high school and as a result, they go to work where they can find it. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, where would this country be without our hard working americans. People from WV are proud of where they come from and who they are!!!!!!!!!! Just because we don't wear designer clothes from the latest runways or talk a certain way, WE ARE MADE FUN OF!! Well I can tell you one thing, I have traveled all over the United States and I would rather be in Elkins, WV on any given day!! A place where you can leave your doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition of your vehicle. Yes there is crime in Elkins, but just like everywhere if you want to find it you will and if you are smart and know right from wrong you will stay away from it.
    So lets talk about Charles Smith, #1 not even a WV native!! Yet WV was blamed for that one. #2 his choice to sell cocaine and elude arrest for the past 5 yrs has came to a tragic end today. He should of been a MAN and faced his demons and turned himself in but he chose to run like a scared rabbit and as a result 2 TWO lives where lost today!! We all make choices everyday and the choices we make effect many, MANY!!!! May god be with the families of these two men tonight!! A Brother, A Son, A Husband, A Father will not be coming home tonight..

February 16, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mintukumar

Hello friendz
    West Virginia gun trader is a forum which is related to sell or trade any gun according to west Verginia state laws. You are welcome to the forum and share everything.
    thanks