Teacher Natalie Munroe defends blog comments about 'whiny' students
Teacher Natalie Munroe says her blog posts griping about students were not meant for public consumption.
February 16th, 2011

Teacher Natalie Munroe defends blog comments about 'whiny' students

A Pennsylvania English teacher who called her high school students "rude, lazy, disengaged whiners" on her personal blog is standing by her comments after being suspended from her position over the controversy.

"I'm sorry it was taken out of context but I stand by what I said," Natalie Munroe told ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday.

The 30-year-old expecting mother said she wrote the posts on natalieshandbasket under the name Natalie M. with the intention that only friends would read the blog. The posts are no longer available on the blog but searchable in a cached version of the site.

"I was writing it not about anyone specific. They were caricatures of students that I've had over the years, things that I would say if we weren't limited in the canned comments that we're allowed to write. And again, it was partially meant tongue in cheek for me and my friends."

In several posts between August 2009 and November 2010, Munroe vented her frustrations - and shared a few positive experiences - with students she found to be "out of control" and lacking "honor and good moral character."

She has been suspended with pay, and her lawyer said she is waiting to see how the school will proceed before deciding whether to take legal action.

"It was not meant for everybody to see but if it's going to get out there, maybe it'll start a conversation that needs to be had," Munroe told ABC.

And boy, did it ever. The subject has topped Google trends and Twitter for the past two days, sparking heated discussions online and in real life over whether Munroe was out of line.

"Her comments about her students may or may not be on point. But as an educator, isn't*** her JOB to get through to these problem students and put them on the right educational track?" said one commenter on PhillyBurbs.com, the hometown newspaper of Bucks County, where Munroe teaches.

"To me, it seems as if Ms. Munroe is more preoccupied with complaining about her students than she is educating them. Her 'canned comments' look like something an eighth-grader would come up with. It's not helpful to anyone, and just illustrates how ineffective she must be as a teacher."

The controversy has also generated discussion on the timeless topic of what's up with kids today, anyway?

"She is 100% correct. There is no way she should lose her job," a Huffington Post commenter said. "When will we start holding parents accountabl­e? Perhaps if we make it a crime - a form of child abuse - to send a child to school unprepared, perhaps parents will become more engaged. If parents are fined for their child's behavior, maybe it'll knock some sense into both parents and child. I've taught in public schools and let me tell you it is hell for the teacher and any kid that really wants to learn," a Huffington Post commenter wrote.

As the controversy grew over the weekend, Munroe wrote a post titled, "Where are we going & why are we in this handbasket," lamenting that the public had latched "onto pieces of what I wrote without A. knowing any back story, and B. knowing the whole story."

She also noted that of 84 blog posts, 60 of them had nothing to do with school and work.

"Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, I didn't - and don't - feel negatively toward all students. As I mentioned in another blog that nobody chooses to talk about, there were delightful students in school, too. I fondly discussed some wonderful students who shined in the school's Jazz and Poetry Festival, and I even said that I was proud to be part of the school at events like that," she wrote.

"But the fact remains that every year, more and more, students are coming in less willing to work, to think, to cooperate. These are the students I was complaining about in my blog. The same way millions of Americans go home at the end of the day and complain about select co-workers or clients or other jerks they had to deal with, I came home and complained on my blog about those I had to deal with."

Post by:
Filed under: Education • Pennsylvania • Technology
  1. USteacher

Since teachers can now be suspended from their jobs due to blogging, can we now suspend students who post rude, degrading comments on public Facebook walls? Many contain profanity and slanderous comments against educators–and they give the full name of the teachers!

February 16, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank - Ohio

"What goes around, comes around". 🙂

February 16, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. teach

I agree with the remarks in her blog which is why I don't teach in the classroom anymore. At the college level, the students aren't much better. Many of them are there just to collect grants in order to pay bills and have no interest in learning. I don't mind this as much as I mind them keeping the students who do care about their education from learning. They complain when I flunk them for not doing their homework and failing their tests. Students have squared off with me in the classroom. I have been threatened and called names. I have had to call security more than once to remove a student and have stayed awake nights planning how to keep myself and my students safe if one of them brings in a weapon. For the pay, it's not worth it. I'd be safer in the military.

February 16, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Some teachers are no different

I understand where this person is coming from, if this is how she honestly feels then there is nothing wrong with that. However, if she's burned out she needs to put down the keyboard and find herself another job. Her general feeling is that kids now days are lazy, rude, and whiny... I wonder what her students will say of her?
    All I know is that as a parent I wouldn't want my child in her clasroom. As a coworker I say your part of the problem not the solution.
    I've been teaching many years myself, and yes students are not what they use to be. But, in all honesty neither are teachers. Are all students bad? Of course not! Are all teachers bad? Of course not! But we teachers are no different than the whiny student when we continue to point fingers at everything and everyone else. Stop for a moment and think, if my fellow teachers were evaluating me what grade would I get? I can guarantee you if it was up to me I'll get rid of plenty of you.
    Were quick  to say damn these bad parents, damn these bad kids. Yet, rarely do you here a teacher say "damn this f'kd up teacher"! pretending as if they don't exist.

February 16, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mom of 3 year old

Did she name names? I haven't seen it said anywhere where she singled out certain students, so why is this an issue? She made sweeping, general comments about students today. Guess what? She's right. My husband is a high school teacher and this lady's comments are spot on. Furthermore, have you ever griped about your job? Not every day in the life of a teacher is a cake walk, especially when the students look you in the eye and say 'f*** you', a common occurrence. And their parents justify the student's behavior, the administration capitulates to the parents and the teacher is hung out to dry. That's today's education system.

February 16, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sixoh

I'm proud of her. When I was a kid, there were bad kids too, but not as many as today...it seems that even the "good" kids are indifferent and even disrespectful.
    When kids were afraid to get their tails warmed at school AND home, they didn't want to screw up, not only bc they were afraid, but bc they had respect and didn't want to disappoint.
    No one teaches respect anymore. I'm generalizing.

February 16, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim

I'm quite sure that any trip into her school's Teachers' Lounge would regail a visitor with far more pointed comments along the same lines. The fact is that a sizeable percentage of high school students are lazy, unprepared on any given day, disruptive, and (in some cases) violent. If any parent were concerned she might be talking about their child, they SHOULD respond by slapping their kid upside their head, NOT by complaining about the truth of the teacher's comments.

February 16, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • hombresincamisa

Right on. It is so true. I am a teacher. Their are great kids in the schools, but because there are fewer consequences for the kids (no failures, not much flunking, hardly any suspensions and on and on) the kids lose respect. I have had kids tell me to go F my mother, leave my class room with out permission and nothing happened to them until i pitched a fit. The classes are huge now, i teach algebra and geometry to 32 kids times 6 periods for about 190 students. Ill bet of those 190 students I have close to 40 that still must count on their fingers. This integrated all levels of abilities ends up depriving the better students of the teachers they need so we can concentrate on the lower 20%...none of whom will ever use this math.

February 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

You could not have said it any better! These kids NEED to know who is boss like when we were kids! They seem to think they are. WRONG

February 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glenn

Perhaps the high schools don't flunk under-performing students these days, thanks to their useless self-esteem models of "educating" kids, but if or when they get to college (unfortunately, some of these dumb kids do), they don't last too far into their first semester, and, as a college professor, I am more than happy to see them fail or drop out.

February 16, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I agree. This teacher is correct, and as long as she isn't saying anything in public about SPECIFIC students, I don't see anything wrong with what she said!!

February 16, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teacher vs Student vs Common Sense vs Elitism vs Class Warfare vs Republicans vs Democrats vs Green Party vs Neo Nazis vs Black Panters vs Burt's Bees vs Whole Foods vs CNN vs FOX vs What happened to Nickelodeon vs Disney Blows Nows vs My Opinion on every

Maybe....just maybe having trying to enforce a hierarchy of teachers above students is a pretty archaic means of achieving eduction.

When has any hierarchal system in History ever truly achieved anything lasting? Here we are pushing each student, each person, down the exact same path with no attention payed to each student's individual areas of excellence.

P.s. You FAT

February 16, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Merely Amused

I concur with the teachers' lounge conversations being MUCH worse.

I used to be a teacher, but no more. I gave up teaching after a year where I was threatened repeatedly, had body parts flashed at me, spent an afternoon cleaning up blood after a fight and finally being told by the administration that I wasn't allowed to flunk anyone because of statistics involving funding.

If she wasn't threatening to beat the snot out of some of the worst of the bunch, then leave her to her job.

February 16, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Imwithher

If the parents read what their children said to this teacher on the internet in response to some of her blog posts on the site, on twitter, facebook and random discussion boards (most of which can simply be googled with the right search terms) they would see that this teacher clearly put up with a ton crap. Sadly tho they will just protect them and act as tho this lady was out of line and post one-liners from her blog to condemn her. That is not to say some of the blog posts weren't harsh but the fact remains she has a right to vent about her day along with freedom speech this should be a non-issue. This teacher didn't name herself let alone the kids or school. Give her a freaking break.

February 17, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Well said, Jim 🙂

February 17, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
    • theretheirthey're

hombresincamisa: Have you touched on the proper use of the words "there, their, and they're"?

February 17, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam Johnson

She is really cute. Oh, and I think she's absolutely right about the students.

February 17, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • functionalK

Having returned to college after a lengthy career in the medical field, I am surprised by the sheer volume of young students who have a poor grasp of language and basic math. I echo Glenn's sentiment in part in that I'm deeply grateful the college experience, for so many, is still challenging and find it disruptive to the curriculum flow when an instructor chooses to deviate in order to accommodate someone's lack of rudimentary skill.

That said, I'm reluctant to say much to them directly as I do remember my earlier years when school happened for "all the wrong reasons" and at a time when my maturity was not such as to provide the understanding that I could, in fact, NOT attend and await a greater sense of purpose. It does "take a village" and while these students may leave your class dejected if not rejected, bear in mind the likelihood you'll eventually be impacted by their lack of education, whether you like it or not. You may as well try to provide more than less while you have them in front of you – clearly a better opportunity than they've ever had. If, as one might interpret, education is for those with exclusively better upbringing – the "elite", if you will – then shouldn't the elite who choose to provide it do so without disdain?

Additionally, am I wrong assuming someone in Mrs. Munroe's position would, by her obvious awareness of social media along with the constant barrage of "he-said-she-said" stories in the news, should have known the pitfalls of so public a commentary? I don't necessarily disagree with her, but the news media is complicit in the very reality about which she's complaining if, instead of placing the focus squarely on the relationship between parenting and education – which is what this really should be about – and instead on the "shocking news" that someone got called out for saying appropriate things in an inappropriate manner, and especially if you bury the article under the "Tech" heading.

February 17, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Absolutely, Jim. It is her job to provide an education, it is the child's parent job to provide the brats with manners, respect and a good work ethic.

February 17, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Enough is enough

The problem with kids today is the simple fact that as a society we have raised a bunch of stupid ignorant kids. our "society" has become so self involved and has lost the sense of community. Parents think Church and state and teachers should raise thier children, Parents think that hotel employees should watch/mind thier children when they are staying there..... Really? Subsequently what happens is the kids become so out of control that when an outsider corrects thier behaviour the parents lash out at then stating redundancies like "thats my child, you can't tell them what to do" If it were up to me I would ban/scramble cell phones so that if someone wants to get a hold of the child they have to go through administration first.

February 16, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bazoing

There is supposed to be some sort of treatment for narcissism. Check it out.

February 17, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. patricia

For those of you who are NOT teachers, spend a week with one before you make any assumptions about them or try to even remotely understand what it is like to work with young people nowadays. You probably wouldn't make it past lunch (which is, by the way, an average of 10 minutes at your desk while replying to emails and answering phone calls from the little darlings' parents). Enjoy!

February 16, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • LM

Couldn't have said it better!

February 16, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick Gres

AMEN!

February 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Apple

Amen! I teach at a middle school and life in school is challenging at best. Most people who complain about the schools couldn't last a day teaching. Some days lunch is a yogurt eaten in the hallway during class change.

February 16, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • LORDY LORDY LORDY, Amen and Hallelujah!!!!

I done drank the Kool-Aid, Jimmy Jones HERES I COME

February 16, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • MRS. FEDUP

Precisely the point (among many others). I'm leaving the profession at the end of this year – we're so busy dealing with behavior issues, we can't teach the concepts or the real-life lessons these kids need.

February 17, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • raphael williams

Something tells me there might actually be an issue of incompetence here in this teacher.

To complain of children being rude, whining, and lazy in a rather rude, whining manner only says to me her frustration comes from being unable to connect to the kids to influence them. I don't know what adult, teacher or non teacher doesn't expect children with no life experience to not whine or to not lazy.

Not only to personally attack students as if their behaviour is unexpected, but to do it so publicly, makes her no better than a whining child.

Maybe she should rethink her career choice but the school was right. A child doesn't belong teaching a classroom full of children.

February 17, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • shadow eagle

everybody has the right to complain about their job. it's a free country. as long as theyre not using specifics. it's not whining, it letting go steam so you dont take it out on the offending parties.

February 17, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Seems to me that a lot of the complainers might be drop-outs, or parents of these "whiny" students. If I was the teacher, I would try to talk to the parents about the disruption their child is causing. If either of my daughters acted like some of these punks nowadays, they would know what they would have to come home to. I don't physically discipline my daughters, but, at the same time, they know the meaning of a little word called "respect". But to blame a teacher who has to interact with 20-30 different students at a time everyday for 45mins – 1.5hrs/day & then have 20-30 more students to teach right after is downright ridiculous. I could see if there were 1or2 students who had trouble learning something, but obedience is a different issue entirely. A teacher could spend all year trying to get through to a group of students, but if they're not willing to learn, it's all moot. Working for a state agency, I see so many high school dropouts, or even middle school/ junior high dropouts. You think their inability to get a job in this economy is because their high school teacher(s) gave up on him/her? Or is it because the individual gave up on the teachers and the school?
      Even if a teacher takes the action to speak with a parent, some parents don't give a $#!+, or act like they do. The latter might seem upset with their child & indicate that their child will change, then they go home and let them hang out with friends or play games. "Mom/dad! Can I have a beer?" "Yeah, sure. Just leave one for me". Neither teachers nor parents should act as a "friend" to these punks, but rather teachers or parents.
      Godspeed Natalie! Public comment or not, it should not be the students who are protected.

February 17, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. caringatc

I teach at an inner city alternative school–the place where they send kids that are expelled from the school system. We are the last hope for some of the kids. I get told to F off on a daily basis, have things stolen from me, and don't have any supplies. I teach PE and all of my basketballs have to be blown up 3 times a day because they can't hold air. When kids cuss me out or throw stuff at me, the most I can do is write a detention or assign ISS, which many won't serve because mom and dad excuse the behavior and say "What did you do to my child?" So not only am I supposed to provide supplies for my students, buy treats to motivate them, teach relavent lessons–which I attempt to do, now I have to take abuse from students and NOT say anything about it.

I say more power to this teacher for saying what many of us are thinking.

February 16, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • LM

I can relate. My husband teaches 12 year olds in a middle school and is told to "f...off" on a daily basis. Nothing is done. If they're sent to the office, they usually return right back to the classroom. They're disrespectful. Half of them do not turn in their homework even when given numerous chances to do so. They're even told they can come up after they eat to complete work or get help with it if they are having difficulty and they never show up.........and this is during his lunch period. I am also a teacher. Together we have a combined total of 70 years of experience. Believe me, we've seen a lot in our careers. But, nothing scares me more than where this country is headed as far as education is concerned. We're on the "downside" of all of this because in a couple years we both plan on retiring.........earlier if possible. It use to be that the "difficult" students were few and far between and most students were at school to learn. I honestly would not say that anymore. The rude and disrespectful students, with no respect for others or themselves........they're becoming the norm. Scary times!!!!!

February 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • altteacher

I too teaught in alternative ed and agree 110% with this. I had to make lessons and tried to make them relvent to today using my own supplies and everyhting I used i bought. I was attacked and told off by numerous students, but continued working. I even had a student who, after getting out of bed, taking two buses, and coming up stairs to my classroom asked me why I was still there...I said this is my classroom and I was showing up with work for them everyday! He and many others tried very hard to stop that from happening. Administration was no help and in most cases was part of the problem. Kids are just like the rest of society, some good and some bad. You can not change that, no matter how hard you try. I would invite those who think she crossed a line to think about how you would feel and what you would do if tomoorow, in your office 28 people came in and 12 of them sat on your desk, riped your papers and books, looked though your wallet, purse, desk and took what they wanted and destoyed the rest and then asked why the f... you were bothring THEM with questions like 'what are you doing?' and 'who the H... do you think uyo are for having the nerve to tell them to stop.' This is what the first several WEEKS are like on many classrooms. What would you do if after going to the boss were told that it was your fault for not being prepared and to just deal with it as long as you did not do anything to those who were doing it. Welcome to teaching! What are eteachers need is SUPPORT from EVERYONE!

February 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Like To Write Walls of Text Expounding My Deepest Thoughts On The Comments Board of CNN

Which no one will read

February 16, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

I applaud you for your efforts, caringatc. I wish there were more caring, devoted, determined, tenacious, patient people such as yourself within our schools. I bet you'll be part of a storyline for another Stand and Deliver movie. Hang in there and know that you're going to drastically change at least one of those kid's lives ... and isn't that what it's really all about by the time it's all said and done with? Keep up the good work!

February 17, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. Amy Spadoni

I have a 15 year old son, he is smart, kind, loving, athletic, outgoing, AND a lazy, complainer that I know will mature nicely. If I was a teacher I would say the same thing. Was just telling my son, that I give him the tools to complete his homework, provide help, watch over, remain in contact with his teacher's and encourage. In the end it is his job to do the rest. I have over 20 nieces and nephews, they all were lazy unless it serves their own selfish selves. They are teenagers, they will not always be like this......thank God. Parents are a teacher's worst nightmare. I respect what they do but would never do it. Bless them all! And for those of you who may disagree, angry or just bored, and don't like my comment.....you really don't need to go back through and correct my grammar and spelling. Every time I post out here I get called names or they correct me telling me if I am a bad speller that my opinion doesn't count. Now I am venting! lol!

February 16, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • jinco

Well said, Amy! I'm a college professor (16 years), teaching 60-90 freshmen each semester, and each year the lack of responsibility is more and more clear. Their parents (for the most part) aren't doing what you're doing. They don't really understand that their actions have consequences, and that I'm *not* going to point out the obvious (that they didn't turn something in, for example) or give them endless opportunities to re-do an essay or re-take a test. Every day, I see jaws drop when I say "no" or "I don't care why you were absent... you've got two more before it drops you a letter grade" or whatever. They're stone-cold shocked. As you say, your son will mature, and you should enjoy his teenage yeas as you can, but it sounds like you're paving the way for him to succeed in college!

February 17, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • yep

It's nice to see a parent who realizes that her son, like most kids his age, isn't always responsible or polite. Teachers have a tough job. While I think the subject of this article should have been more discreet so that her students don't lose whatever motivation they had to listen/learn from her, she certainly hasn't done anything worth being disciplined over. If these students want to prove her wrong, all they need to do is start completing their work on time and earning good grades on their assignments. Too bad I'm not a betting person ...

February 17, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. jason

So for all those out there outraged by this what would you have done in this situation? You can't force feed education down someones throat if they aren't willing to put forth the effort and work with the education system. Your not allowed to vent your frustrations apparently and disiplinary action seem to cause outrage as well . So what then? Let the students of today run wild and slack there education away without being held accountable? They have all rights to disrespect teachers and authority? Yet teachers and authority aren't allowed to speak against this bad behavior , vent it out or take some hardlined apraoaches to get students across this country back on track.. WOW it seems to be looking like more and more American children are taking over and are really spoiled to the core these days.

February 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. neonlizard

This is why I homeschool. Kids today ARE spoiled rotten, not challenged, and not parented. PARENTS are responsible for their child's behavior. The teacher has every right to her opinion. Ever read the Bill of Rights?

February 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Team Fat Approves

+1 – The only worth while post on this board

February 16, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia

Homeschooling is not the answer. There is more to getting an education than learning to read, write and do math. There are advantages to attending a public school and if you think you are doing just as good a job teaching your children as the teachers would you are wrong. What about band, cheerleading, chorus...oh, wait, you think your children should be able to participate in all of that, I forgot.
      Sorry, I think homeschooling produces little snobs. What is needed is to give power back to the schools and the teachers. Bring back dress codes and paddling and require the parents to either back the schools up or find another alternative. I know, the bad ones can join your homeschool co-op.

February 17, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Old Hag Believes in Medieval Schooling

No, no, you're correct on all counts.

We should let our children go to a school where they are made to feel like nothing and are below everyone else. Where unqualified teachers are the end all be all of the system, where if you step out of line the teacher decides he/she knows whats best and has the authority to inflict physical pain. Paddling...are you serious? Little snobs, that's quite subjective.

I'm sorry...what does it take to be a teacher in America? Not much. What does it take to homeschool in America? Even less. Our public school system is an archaic outdated and ineffective mess. Not all people are capable of homeschooling and your correct that there is more to learning than reading or writing. We all know that public school system is utter crap and that our standards at what it takes to become a teacher are even less stringent but taking two steps back to a methodology that's even worse is not the right answer. Physical punishment and emotional war games are not what shapes a child into a successful, well-adjusted person.

P.S. You're FAT

February 17, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Joscelyn

Cynthia,
      Her home-schooled kids have just as much right as yours to join those extra-curricular activities. She is paying the same taxes you are for public school. She is paying the same uniform fees as you are.

February 17, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Wow

@ Cynthia – Are you always this judgmental? What's so great about sitting in a classroom waiting for the teacher to provide extra help to the under-performing students, give more detailed assignments to the over-performing kids, correct discipline problems, excuse kids to go to the restroom, and talk with the translators of the kids who don't speak English? As for wanting homeschoolers to participate in band, cheerleading, chorus – why shouldn't this mother be able to do that? Her taxes help pay for those programs. As for homeschoolers being snobs, I can't imagine that they would be more snobby than someone who wants to force them to spend their day with "bad" kids, as you put it, just because they choose a different atmosphere for their education. Maybe you can redirect some of your anger to helping out some overworked teacher by grading papers, but I hope you're not working directly with kids until you lose some of that hostility towards those who make different choices than you. No one would benefit from that.

February 17, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • rocker

Cynthia: I think all of us homeschooling parents would like to hear about the "advantages" of public school and the reasons why a teacher in a public school teaches better than one in a private school (homeschooling is considered a private school). Assuming you went to public school, I'd have to say you didn't exactly learn a lot about contemporary rhetorical strategies.

February 17, 2011 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
    • KC

IN RESPONSE TO CYNTHIA . You state that homeschooling can prevent participation in extra curricular areas of the public school environment. My children both attend a public school in which I work. Their school does not have the funding for any extra curricular activites that which you mentioned. They consider them clubs that the rec dept handles and can be joined by anyone withing the county. The school does not have enough books for each student, they have a single classroom copy of their social studies book that the teacher makes copies of so they have a study guide. They have cut recess/break to a 15 minute block before lunch. They must pay to use a locker. If they are riding a bus , the bus has a mix of K-12 students. The homeschooling co ops in my area offer vast oppportunites that used to be within the school system , but with budget cuts and test grades making the difference in those – they can no longer afford them. They meet weekly , have tutors available, and go on monthly field trips together. The universities around here have "homeschool days" in which they open up campus to homeschoolers and have activities and hands on learning stations for all age groups . They allow the older students to use the labs and darkrooms and such. These are attended by hundreds if not more homeschooled children everytime they open their doors. It used to be that children whom attended private schools were thought as "snobs" as you say , and I'm sure you align your thoughts with this stigma too. To dismis homeschooling as a viable option for education because of the claim that the socialization / interaction aspect of a public school environment remains steady – is unfounded and misinformed at best. I would rather have a smart "snob" then a stupid sociable individual , and really , does it matter what means of education you use to get there?

February 17, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • KC

Forgot to mention as well Cynthia , Our school does allow corporal punishment , and has a dress code that it adheres to. Being as I work at the school I am in constant contact with their teachers and still I feel that the education they are receiving isn't suffiecient. We come home and hit the books for about 3 hours night – why shouldn't I be doing this at home where my son who has a LD can flourish?

February 17, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. AP

I understand her frustration. Trying assigning homework to a class of 30 students. You will be lucky to get 5 students that even tried to complete the work. Public schools are such a bureaucracy now, it is impossible to get anything accomplished. Even if they don't turn there work in, you can't give them a zero. You have to give them 10 more opportunities to complete the work. The students know this. Discipline and grading scales outlined by the politicians at the state and district levels are a joke. Both the teachers and students know that. The majority of students are wonderful kids, but the number of students with discipline issues, attendance issues, and coursework issues is increasing.

February 16, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I teach college and I WILL give them a zero. If they want to flunk, they can flunk. Teachers can only do so much. Parents and students need to do their part too.

February 16, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wally J

Why can't a teacher vent about there job just like any one else? Teaching is frustrating ...especially when you see so much potential and so little effort...apathy is killing our students

February 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |