Teacher Natalie Munroe defends blog comments about 'whiny' students
Teacher Natalie Munroe says her blog posts griping about students were not meant for public consumption.
February 16th, 2011

Teacher Natalie Munroe defends blog comments about 'whiny' students

A Pennsylvania English teacher who called her high school students "rude, lazy, disengaged whiners" on her personal blog is standing by her comments after being suspended from her position over the controversy.

"I'm sorry it was taken out of context but I stand by what I said," Natalie Munroe told ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday.

The 30-year-old expecting mother said she wrote the posts on natalieshandbasket under the name Natalie M. with the intention that only friends would read the blog. The posts are no longer available on the blog but searchable in a cached version of the site.

"I was writing it not about anyone specific. They were caricatures of students that I've had over the years, things that I would say if we weren't limited in the canned comments that we're allowed to write. And again, it was partially meant tongue in cheek for me and my friends."

In several posts between August 2009 and November 2010, Munroe vented her frustrations - and shared a few positive experiences - with students she found to be "out of control" and lacking "honor and good moral character."

She has been suspended with pay, and her lawyer said she is waiting to see how the school will proceed before deciding whether to take legal action.

"It was not meant for everybody to see but if it's going to get out there, maybe it'll start a conversation that needs to be had," Munroe told ABC.

And boy, did it ever. The subject has topped Google trends and Twitter for the past two days, sparking heated discussions online and in real life over whether Munroe was out of line.

"Her comments about her students may or may not be on point. But as an educator, isn't*** her JOB to get through to these problem students and put them on the right educational track?" said one commenter on PhillyBurbs.com, the hometown newspaper of Bucks County, where Munroe teaches.

"To me, it seems as if Ms. Munroe is more preoccupied with complaining about her students than she is educating them. Her 'canned comments' look like something an eighth-grader would come up with. It's not helpful to anyone, and just illustrates how ineffective she must be as a teacher."

The controversy has also generated discussion on the timeless topic of what's up with kids today, anyway?

"She is 100% correct. There is no way she should lose her job," a Huffington Post commenter said. "When will we start holding parents accountabl­e? Perhaps if we make it a crime a form of child abuse to send a child to school unprepared, perhaps parents will become more engaged. If parents are fined for their child's behavior, maybe it'll knock some sense into both parents and child. I've taught in public schools and let me tell you it is hell for the teacher and any kid that really wants to learn," a Huffington Post commenter wrote.

As the controversy grew over the weekend, Munroe wrote a post titled, "Where are we going & why are we in this handbasket," lamenting that the public had latched "onto pieces of what I wrote without A. knowing any back story, and B. knowing the whole story."

She also noted that of 84 blog posts, 60 of them had nothing to do with school and work.

"Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, I didn't and don't feel negatively toward all students. As I mentioned in another blog that nobody chooses to talk about, there were delightful students in school, too. I fondly discussed some wonderful students who shined in the school's Jazz and Poetry Festival, and I even said that I was proud to be part of the school at events like that," she wrote.

"But the fact remains that every year, more and more, students are coming in less willing to work, to think, to cooperate. These are the students I was complaining about in my blog. The same way millions of Americans go home at the end of the day and complain about select co-workers or clients or other jerks they had to deal with, I came home and complained on my blog about those I had to deal with."

Post by:
Filed under: Education • Pennsylvania • Technology
  1. DaleBU

First place betting there is a glowing normally of professional players, "Risk with your crumpet not with heart." If you're remarkably partial to to a party better not affect any bets on who is confusing in this team. Diverse gamblers suffer the loss of landed sums that procure too much aplomb in a duo

April 30, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. buy sustanon

My neighbor and I were simply debating this particular subject, he's often seeking to prove me incorrect. Your view on that is nice and precisely how I truly feel. I simply now mailed him this website to indicate him your own view. After looking over your web site I e book marked and will be coming back to learn your new posts!

May 5, 2011 at 3:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Windsor

Windsor is the leading supplier of Rasp Bar and Blades having agricultural application to be used in combine harvester. We have vast sale network all over the world to better serve the global market. We are a leading manufacturer & exporter of modern Agricultural Tools Blade & Rasp Bar for harvesting activities.

May 10, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Joseph

You have to look at the source if the parents are not invovled and there are not doing there part I just hope she made an attempt to contact the parents before she made those comments all the more reason to have cameras and mics in the class room the camera and the audio does not lie and that way whether it be a child or a teacher you can see what really goes on with indisputible proof Maybe she should have handled it a different way Maybe but some of these kids and there parents need to really wake up and see what there doing.

August 3, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Timothy Braunschweig

Sixty whiners want to disengage from her class to be lazy in some other class. Proof of her observation they are "lazy, disengaged whiners" is in the departing. I'll bet the better students are not the ones leaving her class.

August 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. me

well its not like she said anything that was so offensive. Most high school kids are exactly what she said those kids are! She shouldn't get fired for that and no she shouldn't have to say she's sorry for venting! Fire her if she isn't a good teacher not for venting on a blog! More than likely the parents of those kids in her class agree with her and that's the real reason people get offended because the truth hurts! I know how high school kids can be because I've had to deal with them myself. By the time your kid enters high school they should be ready to learn and be ready to enter the adult world, being as though by the age of a high school kid; they think they're grown anyway!

So parents if you don't want your kids teachers venting about your child after they've left work for the day, do your Job as a parent and make sure that when they go to school they are ready and prepared to do exactly what they are there for..............TO LEARN!

August 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Student

As a graduate of Central Bucks School District class of 2011, i find it disgusting that she gets to return to work. Several teachers who love their job and respect their students wont be returning because of bad financial times. However, this woman gets to stay in the district? That is awful. This exposes the fundemental problem with our education system, that bad teachers can remain simply because they have been there for a long time, and young, brilliant teachers are laid off.

August 4, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Danabol 10 mg

Estoy impresionado! Blog muy informativo mensaje el # nombre de mi amigo. Sólo quería comentar y decir mantener la calidad del trabajo.

November 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Deca Durabolin

Su entrada en el blog de news.blogs.cnn.com ofrece el mismo presente como otro autor del artículo, pero yo al igual que su mucho mejor.

December 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Comprar Deca Durabolin

Eso fue hace cosas interesantes aquí en news.blogs.cnn.com Gracias por publicar la misma.

December 5, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. ceai negru

You can certainly see your skills within the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

April 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Joachimb Reidheadw

Hey there! I've been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent work!

July 8, 2012 at 6:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. abraham

It is her right as an American citizen to speak her mind. Freedom of speech!!!!!!!!!!

October 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. jackberk

Lots of Good information in your post, I favorited your blog post so I can visit again in the future, Thanks.

private tutor birmingham

November 16, 2012 at 4:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. isteroids

What are the prices of steroids in Egypt?

June 12, 2013 at 5:55 am | Report abuse | Reply