Teacher Natalie Munroe defends blog comments about 'whiny' students
Teacher Natalie Munroe says her blog posts griping about students were not meant for public consumption.
February 16th, 2011

Teacher Natalie Munroe defends blog comments about 'whiny' students

A Pennsylvania English teacher who called her high school students "rude, lazy, disengaged whiners" on her personal blog is standing by her comments after being suspended from her position over the controversy.

"I'm sorry it was taken out of context but I stand by what I said," Natalie Munroe told ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday.

The 30-year-old expecting mother said she wrote the posts on natalieshandbasket under the name Natalie M. with the intention that only friends would read the blog. The posts are no longer available on the blog but searchable in a cached version of the site.

"I was writing it not about anyone specific. They were caricatures of students that I've had over the years, things that I would say if we weren't limited in the canned comments that we're allowed to write. And again, it was partially meant tongue in cheek for me and my friends."

In several posts between August 2009 and November 2010, Munroe vented her frustrations - and shared a few positive experiences - with students she found to be "out of control" and lacking "honor and good moral character."

She has been suspended with pay, and her lawyer said she is waiting to see how the school will proceed before deciding whether to take legal action.

"It was not meant for everybody to see but if it's going to get out there, maybe it'll start a conversation that needs to be had," Munroe told ABC.

And boy, did it ever. The subject has topped Google trends and Twitter for the past two days, sparking heated discussions online and in real life over whether Munroe was out of line.

"Her comments about her students may or may not be on point. But as an educator, isn't*** her JOB to get through to these problem students and put them on the right educational track?" said one commenter on PhillyBurbs.com, the hometown newspaper of Bucks County, where Munroe teaches.

"To me, it seems as if Ms. Munroe is more preoccupied with complaining about her students than she is educating them. Her 'canned comments' look like something an eighth-grader would come up with. It's not helpful to anyone, and just illustrates how ineffective she must be as a teacher."

The controversy has also generated discussion on the timeless topic of what's up with kids today, anyway?

"She is 100% correct. There is no way she should lose her job," a Huffington Post commenter said. "When will we start holding parents accountabl­e? Perhaps if we make it a crime - a form of child abuse - to send a child to school unprepared, perhaps parents will become more engaged. If parents are fined for their child's behavior, maybe it'll knock some sense into both parents and child. I've taught in public schools and let me tell you it is hell for the teacher and any kid that really wants to learn," a Huffington Post commenter wrote.

As the controversy grew over the weekend, Munroe wrote a post titled, "Where are we going & why are we in this handbasket," lamenting that the public had latched "onto pieces of what I wrote without A. knowing any back story, and B. knowing the whole story."

She also noted that of 84 blog posts, 60 of them had nothing to do with school and work.

"Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, I didn't - and don't - feel negatively toward all students. As I mentioned in another blog that nobody chooses to talk about, there were delightful students in school, too. I fondly discussed some wonderful students who shined in the school's Jazz and Poetry Festival, and I even said that I was proud to be part of the school at events like that," she wrote.

"But the fact remains that every year, more and more, students are coming in less willing to work, to think, to cooperate. These are the students I was complaining about in my blog. The same way millions of Americans go home at the end of the day and complain about select co-workers or clients or other jerks they had to deal with, I came home and complained on my blog about those I had to deal with."

Post by:
Filed under: Education • Pennsylvania • Technology
  1. RobCo Systems

Let's get something straight: these kids are at home, at best, 12 hours out of the day, five days a week. Six to eight of those hours are spent sleeping. That's, best case, six hours a day, awake, at home. Most kids are out of school long before most parents even get off work. Now take that six hours the kids are at home and awake, and say the parents don't get home until 6 PM...hopefully, even high school students are in bed by 10 or 11 PM. These parents are getting around four hours of interaction with the kids five days out of seven; and that assumes the parents always get off work around 5 PM, and that they have weekends off. All this also assumes that the children and parents are completely focused on one another for that entire time period, with no distractions. In a nutshell, the schools simply have to take some role and responsibility–the kids,simply put, spend more time with the schools than the parents.

February 16, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lorraine

Kids today are whining and lazy, because there parents allow them to be so... Parents do not believe in teaching manners anymore.and when they get older and go into the work force ... if they can find a job.. They are surprised that they have to work and whining is not acceptable.,. I respect a teach that says the truth... If more School administrators would go into the class room the would agree about the behavior of kids today...

February 16, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robin M

The woman was venting, it's something we all do to keep our sanity.
    I come from a family of teachers and have heard stories about rude children and parents that were outragous. I hate articles like this that say "isn't it the teachers job", it's the teachers job to educate so that these children can go out into the world and become a productiive member of society, it is NOT their job to teach them social skills, that is the PARENTS job.
    If we as a society decide we want to double the salary of teachers, then we can demand more from them. In the mean time, most teachers (like the one in this article) are doing a great job considering their budget keeps getting cut and then cut some more and they are working with fewer resources.

February 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kevin

All these crazy comments about the First Amendment. Does not even apply here. See if you can figure out why. Perhaps those spouting that off are rude, lazy, disengaged, whiners.

February 16, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TC

How about people stop having kids to collect more welfare. Those parents don't care about their children. Then when their kids are taken away for poor living conditions, they just have more. Sterilize them.

February 16, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The5thFloor

Failure is not an option; therefore, we shall redefine success.

February 16, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TURBOVIRUS

The problem is not the teacher it's the parents who want the teacher to wipe their kids butt. Parents need to step up or shut up!

February 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. demogal

Yes, in 33 years of teaching high school English, I did have students who were rude, lazy, disengaged whiners, but I loved them and taught them anyway.

February 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tina J.

This is the problem with people today, if you can't tell someone they're being a jackwagon how will they learn how NOT to be a jackwagon. I'm 40 and attending college and some of those kids are hopeless. I don't know who should be slapped harder the kid or their parents.

February 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chris

If I were a teacher I would do the same. parents aren't raising their kids with honor or good morals. A lot of kids are totally out of control. And the only ones to blame are the parents.

This has nothing to do with a teacher wanting to vent then teach. this is a teacher that is frustrated from the lack of respect, kindness, proper behavoir from the kids in her school. She shouldn't be punished for this for the simple fact that it is the truth and those that feel hurt from it should take a good look at their kids and without bias see where their kid is heading.

February 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. teachermom

I am a teacher and I absolutely applaud what this lady has done. As teachers, we need to start standing up for ourselves, and get the word out about the real problem with education...... PARENTS and LAZY STUDENTS WITH NO WORK ETHIC!

February 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. anonymous

While I empathize with her frustrations and feel she had the right to vent, she did so under the false pretense that her thoughts were protected with anonymity, as stated on her most recent blog post, which aided her in a false sense of security. It is my belief that she probably would have better kept her composure had she fully understood the thin veil she seemingly had covering her person under the guise of Google and Blogger. The shock and awe she felt at the backlash should not have been such a shock because she put the information out there for everybody, regardless of how guarded she thought she was. Free speech is fantastic, but use discretion or be prepared for those reactions. Teachers have an unwritten code of conduct that enters into the idea that teaching is a profession, unless you're of the mind that it is not a profession. Professionals would generally not rant in a public forum about those they purport to serve. Raise yourself higher than this. If you're feeling the need to vent, turn that energy into something positive. Do it in a positive way in public–keep the generalized negativity private.

February 16, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • teachermom

We need to remember that every one of those students are somebody`s loved ones. One goes into the teaching profession because we love the kids. Too bad that a 30 year old is already burned out, she does not represent any of the teachers I have worked with in my 25+ years.....

February 16, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mei

Her comments were FAR from criminal or even cruel. Even as a student, we've all seen the troubled kids who make the class very difficult to attend. And wouldn't this be a matter of free speech in this country?! I mean, she can still be a great teacher and be human at the same time (meaning she might want to vent to her friends from time to time). She should NOT have been suspended for something like this. Not to mention this teacher is expecting and will need her career to support her own family. This teacher is still a hero given that she faces disobedience on a daily basis.

February 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

the fear of god worked well, now we just have kids bullying teachers parents , oh wait parents are to busy making money to send them to college boats big house nannies nice cars video games did i miss anything?

February 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

@Mei
      I don't think a suspension was needed, but it does bring to light the fact that teachers are expected to behave a certain way within the public sphere given their profession. Teachers have lost their license for posting pictures (or others posting those pictures) of them in situations that are perfectly legal (drinking, for instance), but because of their profession, it puts them beneath the standard they are meant to uphold. I'm not saying this is right–it's a highly debatable phenomena that kind of puts things in perspective as to how this particular situation ended up causing controversy. I think the difference is, certain professions have embedded within their codes of conduct certain client confidentiality clauses. For instance, I work for the government in the public sector. I am not allowed to even discuss my clients in a casual way with my spouse, let alone rant about them on a blog (and believe you me, I could fill books). Teachers don't have this same written code, yet we often think of them in terms of professionals. One of the conflicts here is whether they are indeed professionals–talk to a teacher. Most would liken themselves, rightfully, to this status, yet certain things such as this clause causes the line to be fuzzy. Society generally regards teachers highly throughout the world, but their standing is somewhat lowered in this country. Is it because of instances like this? I like how teachermom commented that this particular teacher seems rather burnt out. It sadly seems that way.

February 16, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

To The Teacher: Yes, you may be right in some of your assumtions. Kids these days are demanding and expect rewards with little, to no work. The problem is, teachers like you out there arn't doing a good enough job motivating these children. Learn to put the world in perspective for these kids. Educate them on how things currently are and how hard work can sometimes pay off. Yes, some rich kids these days definately don't exhibit the same motivation young people had 20 years ago; but then again, a college education these days doesn't even secure you a good job in some parts of the country. Try to be a motivater, not a critic! America's youth needs it's motivation back!

February 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Right on.

February 16, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • dennis

She said what she said. Why in America would she have to back down. Truth disturbs the waters of the corruption. They can only try to defend what they know is wrong. She must stand her ground. Have any of you taught in our schools lately? Give it a try, you will wonder what planet we are getting them from. It's not the kids fault, they are just products of no expectation with parents of no realization.

February 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • mycatsbreathsmellslikecatfood

good for her, it shows people that teachers are human. maybe the parents of the children who act up should take a hard look in the mirror and realize they need to have a little more input in their children's lives.

people, if it is an "unwritten code" of conduct, then it has no legal merit, only the ramifications you decide are appropriate.

unless you or your spouse teach, i would say you really have no idea what teachers actually go through. i know my wife spends quite a bit of OUR own money on teaching supplies for the kids, treats to encourage them, and everything in between because parents and admin expect it and dont provide it.

the whole education system in the US is seriously jacked up

February 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • hillbilleter

This is the age-old problem of a teacher punished for noticing that there's a problem in the system. In this case, the problem is the undisciplined nature of the raw materials. By the time a student is in high school they should know how to hold a conversation, when to shut up, how to study and how to mind their business. Parents who promote self-expression and venting feelings over cooperation on tasks are raising citizens who will be at a loss in life itself. Feelings are personal and do not belong in the classroom or in the workplace. What does belong is a disciplined work ethic and keeping oneself to oneself. The teacher could have done a better job of making the problem public.

February 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • edu

These comments are cute- the "unwritten code of conduct" I keep hearing about is the reason nothing changes in education. NO ONE LISTENS TO WHAT WE (the teachers) are saying. At least this got the conversation going.

February 16, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • kasey

To Jake: "The problem is, teachers like you out there arn't doing a good enough job motivating these children."

While I agree to a certain extent that a teacher's job is to motivate, it is obvious to me you have never been a teacher. Yes, part of the job is motivation. However, that is also the parents' job at home. Many of the kids today are impossible to motivate, and the main reason why is no discipline at home or in the schools. Teachers can't discipline anymore. They can't even call the kid out in front of the class anymore because it might hurt their feelings. They are told to not send them to the principals office either. What they end up having to do is after school detention or in school suspension (ISS), neither of which is effective with kids anyomre. Parents don't discipline because they want to be the kid's buddy and not their parent. Kids are not taught the value of an education, and they aren't taught that they have to work to get what they want, and that responsibility lies with the parent and not the teacher.

February 16, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

What about just starting with something simple like getting students to do their work. Both parents and teachers work together to have a policy stating "That the day an assignment is due is the day it is due." If parents would back teachers and schools on just this one policy most work related problems in schools would be solved. Students would know that if my work is not done on time for class that I must stay after school until it is finished. No sports, no activities, no time with friends, no nothing until the work gets completed ..... Think about how this policy backed by all America could change our entire school system.

February 16, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

@edu
      I think you're totally right. I've actually taught, and I currently work part time as a tutor, so it is something I've been involved in personally. Teachers in this country are expected to handle themselves a certain way, but when we look at what the role of the teacher is, the government, on both state and federal levels, dictates heavily to us what that role actually revolves around. In other words, those teachable moments have dissolved into too much policy, too much rhetoric, too much disregard for what we should be doing for what we have to do to make the "real" professionals happy. Teachers aren't listened to–their positions, in many states, have been lowered to a nanny position where the qualifications are almost non-existent. Quality teachers are few and far in between in public schools because the career is easily obtained and slovenly corrupted by state and federally mandated squabble.

I am glad this this has opened up the conversation, but I highly doubt it will do much for positive change–it will probably push a deeper hole into a dark pit.

February 16, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

I think she describes the next generation pretty good. There are exceptions but for the most part we are in big trouble.

February 16, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

From what I read in this story, she represents just about every one of the last 100 teachers I have taught with in my tenure as a teacher. When universal education began in this country, the students held most of the responsibility. A few decades ago, much of the responsibility was transferred to parents. Now, every last bit of it is placed on the teachers, and not one iota falls on any person related to the child. Just an observation (sorry that this blunt point is politically incorrect).

February 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • rh

"somebody's loved ones"? Really? Then why are they so rude, disrespectful and lazy, didn't their "loved ones" teach them manners?

She messed up, and printed comments in public that at worst should be shared with her husband (if any, yikes!) or best friend. You just don't print things online that you would post on a telephone pole.

February 16, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • John L

Unfortunately the teacher stated the truth. Too many students are lazy, disrespectful and think it is owed to them to get a passing grade and not suffer consequences for their actions. American society is at fault for how we expect teachers to do parenting. Parents need to take responsibility for their children and take interest in their children’s studies, check homework, talk to their kids and hold them accountable. No Child Left Behind is a failure where the school districts are penalized by less funding for failing students which results in adults in our society with a high school diploma but who only can read and write at a 6th grade level if that. Teachers do their best and they should be rewarded for wanting to have high standards and not be punished for telling the truth about our precious kids who are not all angels.

February 16, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marc Wade (If you express an opinion, leave your name.)

Unwritten code of conduct? Don't be so simple minded to think that a teacher is somehow professionally obligated to keep a perpetual sunny exterior in the face of the reality of today's educational quagmire. The simple fact is that her comments state a truth about the condition of the preparedness of American youth to compete on a global scale, an issue that we have recognized for some time now, but have refused to take seriously as a society.
      This teacher further delivers a good lesson in standing by her comments instead of wilting under the pressure imposed by the school district in the name of political correctness. Meanwhile, in their zeal to impose victorian cannons of taste, the school would inadvertently teach an ugly lesson, that those in power can suppress the expressions of those with whom they disagree.

February 16, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

mei... i hope you arent the same guy who works at ATS...I would hate for you to have this viewpoint at work... and you really don't have anything to say about this because you're from china... i'm sure the rules in your communist country don't apply here anyway.

she's a larda$$ too and deserved to be suspended for that reason alone. nasty b!tch. 😦

February 17, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris Martin

Marc you don't have any idea what you're talking about. Read her blogs and see how often she criticized the people she was teaching. She's bashing them constantly. It's not that she doesn't have freedom of speech, it's not that what she said was false necessarily...but she shouldn't have posted it online for her students and parents to read.

It would be just like me bashing co-workers and talking sh!t about people at my job. I could lose my job for creating a hostile work environment due to things said and posted online. So she deserved exactly what she got.

and she's fat too...so that doesn't help her case much in my mind either. what a loser.

February 17, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sarah

Corporal punishment should become more of a form of molding kids behavior.

February 16, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Gerken

You're kidding, right? Teachers should beat up kids more?

February 16, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Gerken

Teachers should beat up kids more?

February 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • P T Helms

Absolutely. It's not 'beating kids up', it's a well-deserved smack. It's like when you train a dog; you don't tell it you're disappointed in it for going to the bathroom in the house, you rub the thing's nose in it and tell it not to do it again. Parents these days are either using timeout or no discipline at all, and it's just not working out for the rest of society. If parents won't do it, the teachers need to, or we end up with buttheads like Julian Assange running around.

February 16, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jughead

Fear breeds respect, just say'n.

February 16, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • dawn

There was corporal punishment when I was a kid and no one was beaten by any means. I think kids had a healthy respect of authority and understood right and wrong. And if you were punished at school, you also got punished at home afterwards because your parents would find out. Nowadays many parents side with their children instead of the schools, even when their child is in the wrong. What is this teaching the child?! There are some great parents out there that teach their children to respect authority, whether it be teachers or just adults they encounter every day... Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot more parents who want to be friends with their kids and don't enforce the rules.

Personally I don't blame Ms. Monroe for her comments. I think they reflect the truth and I bet most of the parents who are up in arms are undoubtedly the ones with kids who don't behave. The truth hurts sometimes...

February 16, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • hillbilleter

That's a fact that, if someone took the actual data that is available, would show a glaring difference in the success and brilliance of students who had undergone corporal punishment and those who are allowed time off from school for infractions of behavioral codes. I have always been bemused by the ill-advised logic of giving a kid bonus time off for misbehavior, then complete expulsion if the behavior continues. It's a gift, not a punishment. If punishment stung, behavior would improve drastically.

February 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • juniorgong

Sarah agree with you completely. The so called parents let kids get away with so much, they have no respect for anyone. Kids should be taught basic respect for authority at home. Charity begins at home.

February 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

I think that behavior is not as black and white as everyone assumes it is. There are alot of real neurological differences that can work against a child and make it seem like he/she is a bad kid. All the smacking in the world can't fix it but will only cause emotional damage and compound the problem for the child. Also, in the cases of neurological differences I am referring to it is proven scientifically to be genetic and NOTHING that the parent has caused. Everyone envolved needs to stop being completely ignorant of the facts, go do some research on how to help these kids not damage them.

February 16, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

YOU GO GIRL

February 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris Martin

Yeah, you stand in line first and take the beating... there's no way in h3ll I'd allow some random person hit my child (or anyone else for that matter). Teachers have been known to sleep with students...i imagine some are capable of extreme abuse. I feel bad for you if you truly believe this Sarah..and I feel bad for your children (if you're allowed to have any)

February 17, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. how does that splinter in your eye feel

Have students changed? Yes they have maybe Monroe is right they are becoming more lazy, rude/ But she failed to mention how much teachers have changed too. You want to talk about “Whiny” just look to your fellow teacher. In a classroom you will have those students that regardless of the type of teacher they have they will learn they only need to be told things once and they’ll get it. Boy do teachers love those students, of course they do! They make their job easy. Then you have those not so bright kids who need to constantly be reminded how to do something, or need to be taught something 4 different ways.
    Now suddenly the “whiny” is out of ideas, and it’s everybody’s fault but herself. How dare this child be so difficult! It must be the parents fault even though they don’t hold a degree in the art of teaching. Munroe also failed to mention how now days most teachers look at their job as nothing more than a paycheck, that they constantly belittle children, that teachers lounge is nothing more than a gathering of teachers trashing children, that they can’t stop talking about “Happy Hour”, that they bring nothing original to their classroom, that they read straight out of a teachers handbook and nothing more, that every activity is nothing more than a worksheet with absolutely no creativity, that they show up to class with a hangover, that they can’t put down their cell phones while in class, that they are constantly on Facebook, that they themselves don’t know how to spell or use proper terminology, that they show up to work dressed in the most unprofessional manner.
    Yes kids have changed but lazy, whiny, and rude describes most teachers too

February 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • k

Clearly you are never around a school or you only hear what you want to hear. I am sick of people making vast generalizations about teachers and how hard they work. It is 7:45 pm and I just finished working. Yes there are frustrations, and teachers( like every other person with a job) have a right to complain every now and then...even over happy hour on Fridays or over lunch (if you call my 17 minutes of eating while standing up lunch) if they so choose. But most of our conversations revolve around trying to solve problems with our students and their parents.

February 16, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmmmmmm

Apparently you have no idea what it is to teach. Most of us spend our own money on class items and are asked to do more with less. All we are asking is that a parent teach their child basic manners and take an interest in their learning. Some day these kids will become our workforce and our leaders. At the rate they are going, we are in big trouble. By the way, maybe you should have paid more attention in school because you grammar and punctuation are horrible.

February 16, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • how does that splinter in your eye feel

"Making mass assumptions on teachers", kind of like what whiny Ms. Munroe did to her students. What I say is things I have witnessed first hand, I'm so fed up with teachers making excuses for those teachers that THEY KNOW are incompetent.

"The failure of your students is your failure as a teacher"

February 16, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vol

Yes, talk about a run on sentence. It's never ending.

February 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vol

Teachers cannot control home life. What about kids who are kept up all night and come to school so sleepy you can't keep them awake? I guess that's the teacher's fault too. Some of you live in nice cushy suburbs and have no idea what it is like in the inner city and rural areas.I witnessed a child ask a parent the other day "why they didn't punish them when they did something wrong?" Pretty sad when a kid knows better, than the parent.

February 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • lkl

I love it when people who have no experience teaching whatsoever pass judgement on teachers and try to tell them how to do the job. I'll tell you what–tomorrow I'll be at your job to tell you how to do it. I have no idea what you do for a living, but I feel very knowledgeable about the subject already.

February 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Former Resident

Your fantasy vision of what a teacher is and does is a reflection of your cowardice. If you're the expert on teachers, why don't you enter a classroom as the teacher and see how long you last? What have you done to improve this world? My guess is nothing much and you'll never come close to what our teachers are doing each day for students and this country.

February 16, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • gretchen

I totally agree with you. In 1968, I had a teacher in sixth grade who should NEVER have been given a teacher's license, as she did not deserve it at all. She made fun of me in front of the entire class, and NOBODY lifted a finger to help me.

Ms. Munroe needs to be fired, immediately, and have her license permanently yanked.

February 16, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • mycatsbreathsmellslikecatfood

phuck and you.

my wife is at school almost 60 hours a week to help provide the best education possible, for second grade. there will always be the lazy teacher, but kids are definitely the problem.

parents – DISCIPLINE YOUR CHILDREN, TEACH YOUR CHILDREN. when your little snowflake turns into a total burnout because you expected the teacher to do your job, youll only have yourself to blame

February 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bothsides

There will always be some tension between educators and parents about who is primarily responsible for which failures and which accomplishments. However, I feel many of the responses miss the point. Teachers ARE in a profession, like many others, in which a certain code of conduct is expected by society. An earlier response with an analogy to business people griping about co-workers or clients is flawed. Real integrity involves not engaging in systematic denigration of colleagues regardless of profession. Furthermore, that balance of power is very different between an adult teacher and a child (student) than between two adults in a business environment ( I am not talking about boss/subordinate relationships).

In my community, a teacher's retirement party contained materials intended as a joke about students that the teacher would most like to kill. This is exemplary behavior? Despite the embarrassment this caused, it was more a case of being embarrassed they got caught versus understanding how wrong it was in the first place. How would these same educators have felt if their own children were the targets of such "humor"?

February 16, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Irishjayt

You truly have no clue at all.

February 16, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jmac

The correct form is "expectant mother".

February 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Whateverrrrrrr! She has a bun in the oven...proper enuf foya?

February 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • GinnyL

Guess the Bible got it wrong. (And I'm not even Christian!)

February 16, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |