Wednesday's intriguing people
Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says a license plate honoring Klansman Nathan Bedford Forrest won't actually pass.
February 16th, 2011

Wednesday's intriguing people

Haley Barbour

The Mississippi governor, who is reportedly considering a 2012 presidential bid, refused to denounce an effort to put a Confederate-era member of the Ku Klux Klan on state license plates, saying, "I don't go around denouncing people." Barbour also said of the ex-Klansman, "He's a historical figure."

Kiel Eigen

Five years ago, a spinal injury during his eighth-grade football game confined the boy to a wheelchair. On Tuesday night, before his hometown crowd at a high school basketball game, Eigen, now a young man, walked with the help of a metal walker, according to CNN affiliate WBRE in Pennsylvania.

Emanuel Cleaver

The Missouri congressman and Congressional Black Caucus chairman broke with President Obama on Tuesday, saying if the president were still a caucus member, he would oppose his own budget.  "We have an obligation ... to oppose things that we think will impact negatively our constituents," Cleaver said.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • District of Columbia • Economy • Education • Football • Health • History • Mississippi • Missouri • Most Intriguing People • Pennsylvania • Politics • Race
  1. Dr. Strangelove

klangster,
    I did not say I was black. I am a mixed race individual and thank you for pigeon holing me as a "racist white southerner" although I look anything but white. Did you even read the entire email? Because if you did, and by your response of my email as B.S., you are stating that the Rev. Martin Luther King should be remembered as an adulterer rather than a man who sacrificed his life to try to mend the fences between races. Oh, and "nice try" for trying to dismiss me as a racist. I think by your words and your two dimensional thinking "power" that you are the racist. And there were carpet baggers, lots of them and don't forget about how the U.S. Government reneged on the promise made to many African Americans (remember 40 acres and a mule?). Get a life or get educated (if you can).

February 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. klangster

you claimed to be a mulatto that would make you black but you don't know that because you are lying. Adultery is not the same as keeping humans in bondage or selling children or mass murder in the name of those who would. How dare you make the eqivilant from martin luther king who gave his life to end apartheid and save this countries soul with a coward who committed treason murdered brave AMERICANS who fought to free their brothers from slavery. You need to educate yourself about the atrocities committed by the klan right after the war. One nice speech at the end of his life does not make him an American hero, he was a stain on our history.

February 16, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Strangelove

Klangster
      Thanks! First I am a racist and now I am a lier. I do not claim to be a Mulatto, again I am a mixed race individual. I am descended from Cuban mulattos. And Mulattos are not black, they are half white and half black. If you are going to be a racist please get your racist definitions correct. About MLK, if you are a man of God such as a Reverend and you commit adultery, then you have broken one of the10 Commandments. Even more so because of the hypocrisy of the situation. MLK was a great Civil Rights leader and deserves all of the accolades given to him, he was a great american, but he was not a good husband and not a good reverend. And he did not end Apartheid. Apartheid was a system of legal racial segregation enforced by the National Party government of South Africa between 1948 and 1993. If you want to say he shattered all of the Jim Crow Laws in the south, then I am in agreement with you. Gen. Forest was anything but a coward, you would know this if you sought the truth (try it, I think you'll like it). Also, I have some bad news for you, there were many African Americans who fought in the Confederate Army. You will emotionally reject that statement and that is your downfall. We do agree on one thing and that is the KKK is a bunch of worthless individuals. You call them cowards, I don't think there are enough nasty words in the English Language to accommodate their doctrine of hate, misinformation and just plain stupidity. Gen. Forest is hardly a stain on our history as he is still considered in the Top 10 of American Generals. But then again, for those who think in black and white terms like yourself, I don't think anything he could have done before he died would have satisfied your lust for misinformation. I believe there is always a chance to redeem yourself no matter how late in life it is. I firmly believe Gen Forest tried and also firmly believe he did it out of shame first for being a slave merchant and second for being a member of the KKK. But in your narrow view of the world the man could not do and could never have done anything to satisfy you and many like you. One last thing, the SCV is not affiliated with the KKK. The SCV has nothing but disdain for those cowards (as you call them), and yes the SCV does have African American members, oh and. The SCV has never and will never discriminate. This is my last email about this subject because there is nothing to be gained from this conversation. I can only hope you open your mind and seek the truth, because ignorance of the truth is a tool to control the masses, ask Adolf Hitler.

February 17, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jennifer

Dear Haley Barbour,

Shut the h*** up. What little educated, non-racist people we DO have living here get lumped in with the bigots because of ignorance such as yours and quite frankly, we're sick of it. Some of us here would love to see progress, unity, and peace in this state and good ol' boys such as yourself are screwing all of that up. The sooner you leave the Governor's mansion AND the public eye, the better off Mississippi and this country will be.

February 16, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Earnest hawkins jr

Hawk great,great,great grandfather us third colored cavalry of miss fought in the civil war and we have been in every war since. Semper fidelis

February 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOYDE COFFMAN

las pulgas and iwakuni mip2 u were main side i was wingside . jeam beam and orange crush.

February 18, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Worm

All of u r dumb

February 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Smart One

THE DIVIDED STATES OF AMERICA.

February 17, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |