February 27th, 2011

Arizona lawmaker in freeway fight, police say

Police say they did not detain an Arizona state senator who was involved in a domestic violence incident over the weekend because state law gives him immunity from arrest while the legislature is in session.

Officers responding to the scene of a reported altercation on a Phoenix-area highway Friday night found state Sen. Scott Bundgaard and his girlfriend, Aubry Ballard.

Both had marks on them indicating they had been involved in a physical dispute - constituting an act of domestic violence on the part of both individuals, Phoenix police spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said.

Ballard was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault. Bundgaard was not, but could later face charges from the city attorney's office, Thompson said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arizona
  1. FRANK

People of the United States of America,
    So if I understand this AZ law,if a State REP or Senator murders someone,he cannot be arrested while the Legislature is in session,You know,just based on this law still exsiting,(I will bet the law is over 100 years old) everyone in the AZ State Government should be arrested just on the principle of leaving this law in exsistence.

February 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Centrist

I've dated some pretty astounding *sarcasm* women in my life, but beating them was never an option. Even if a girl may deserve a smack you should cut your losses and run. I'm also amazed at the pure hypocritical nature of our government. Some politicians are wretched humans yet they feel like they have some moral authority over us. Lock him up and double his sentence, because he writes the laws and should know better. Now I will sit back and watch people defend or crucify him based on party affiliation.

February 27, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Guess who ????

Mike + CNN Blogs = onestupidmotherfuker!!!!..... And leave banasy out of this u crybaby this is between u n I ..... Btw u like it up theasshuh!!! Whats the matter did'nt your mommy show u any love as a child ? Your posts reflect how worthless u are as a person , I'll bet you pretty much have no friends ..... And you probably contribute nothing to socioty ...... Hey get hint !! Nobody Likes U........!!!! Are u proud of yourself now....... Now do us all a favor and go kill yourself Goodnowgosukyourselfoff !!!!!

February 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Darrin G

Big story here in Chicago of an officer being shot and a mexican drug cartel, NOW can we invade?

February 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

I think the guy shoulda been arrested too .but i get sicka these butch women whowanna fight like men

February 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

CNN,what did I say that was so bad ? I only said a certain population of (ahem )women take advantage of the fact that some men wont hit a woman .

February 27, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

hitting a woman is totally acceptable.. i mean you belive in eqaul rights... right?

it's best to punch them in the stomach so they dont bruise and turn you in.. or a choke hold..

February 27, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. leeintulsa

100 years old and written by a guy that killed someone i bet lol

February 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ernie

Did I miss something, or did the story fail to mention his political party? Not that it matters, a bum is a bum regardless of party. He should be arrested like anyone else. I am wanting to bet he is a dem, but I notice the GOP has plenty of bad apples to. However, if he is a republican I feel fairly certain it would not have been left out. Wonder if I will be proved wrong?

February 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ernie

Ha! CNN set us up! This moron is a "bigwig" in the GOP, how did they miss that chance to slam the GOP? lol

February 27, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mike

im a big azz who can't get hard so I gotta be a azz when it comes to peeple. sorry im such a looser

February 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Patty

CNN!! Whats up with all bad language????

February 27, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sammy

At least there wasn't any road rage or a killing. They made up by now.

February 28, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ernie

I'm in a mood for a strawberry shake but without the strawberry flavor.

February 28, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

Hi Patty. Buy me a beer at Olive Garden. I prefer a tap Bud Lite, I'll cover the tip.

February 28, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

Patty? How about Mary then? Hello? The trolls are asleep so they won't bug us till the morning.

February 28, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |