Doctor to face death penalty trial in late-term abortions case
Prosecutors say infants were killed with scissors at this Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, clinic.
March 2nd, 2011

Doctor to face death penalty trial in late-term abortions case

Philadelphia prosecutors say they may seek the death penalty against abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, who is charged with murder after allegedly performing illegal late-term abortions at a dirty facility.

Authorities allege that some of the infants were born viable and alive during the sixth, seventh and eighth months of pregnancy and then were killed with scissors, which were used to cut their spinal cords.

Gosnell, 70, faces eight counts of murder in the deaths of seven babies and a 41-year-old woman.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Abortion • Crime • Death Penalty • Pennsylvania
  1. Normby

Don't forget that this is about illegal (or possibly illegal) medical practices.
    It, actually, has nothing what-so-ever to do with the abortion argument.
    The term is "pro choice"; only a very sick person would actually be "pro-abortion"

March 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bob

Though not "pro-choice" myself, I've generally kept an open mind and not thought down on those who disagree with that perspective.

But this? This is simple and straight-forward murder. "With scissors" ??? What. The. Eff.

March 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PrisonPlanetMinister

I really don't like abortion for birth control reasons (I met a girl who had 6), but as long as people who are against it don't have to pay tax money for it then I see it as being between the Dr., patient, and God (if you believe in God). I have also read about cases where babies would be stillborn, or missing vital organs that would eliminate their chances of survival. There are legitimate reasons for certain procedures that most people find grotesque. That being said, I trust a jury to come to the right decision here. I also have faith that there is a judgment for those who are guilty of murder. I'm surprised most devout religious people think God doesn't exist when they talk about abortion. God supposedly controls everything, yet abortion exists. Nice contradiction.

March 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

Reading your post referring to abortion as "birth control," I realize that what Mr Hunnykins and I have practiced all these years has been "conception control." For us The Pill was also very effective "abortion control."

March 2, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gonzo

I've been saying for years it's not Kermit's fault. Blame Jim Henson!

March 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kermit

Jim Henson made me do it!

March 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Johannah

I have always found it ironic when those that are anti-abortion support the dealth penalty.

March 2, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

Actually an innocent new baby and a hardened criminal who commits a heinous crime seem like very different creatures. But I see your point.

March 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Ive still got the willies from readin this .ugh ,prolly gonna have nightmares.

March 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar

@raven: Hide under your blanket.

March 2, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. micwil

I believe in abortion and have been them There my self people will believe or say what they any thing to pass judgement but thats okey to but what this doctor did was in human he will not make it in prison because baby kills will be delt with in a manor that he put others in harm
    please have an open mind about women who go througe this knowing what their future will hold for thim

March 2, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ed

This doctor is the poster child for retroactive birth control. Give him life w/o parole and let his fellow prisoners help him along.

March 2, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SHOOOOOO

I just farted. Shoooooo : )

March 3, 2011 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. anaeliss

If you keep your undies on and pants zipped you won't has to worried about any abortions! Try it, it work. There are people desperate to raise a child.What happened to putting the babies up for adoption? The mothers are murders too.

March 3, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Godsson

Actually this is the worst piece of slanderous trash I have yet to read. I think this "journalist" (use the term loosely) gets his/her stories from the creators of South Park. They had an episode about Christopher Reeves eating fetuses. Eerily similar. I thought Fox was the only faux news source.

March 3, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • April

You are such a moron. Just because the news story paints abortion in a poor light you think it's made up. Hate to burst your perfect world bubble but this actually happened.

April 12, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. noemi

I,M pro choise and I belive in the death penalty.in my state if u kill someone they the state will kill u back.this animal needs to go .pray for the babies he killed.pray for the women that weren,t able to deal with another babe to feed.donn't let him get away with what he's done.cause if he gos free he'll' just go to a new state and open up another clinic.

March 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Randy

FYI the abortion industry is the least regulated of all medical facilities in the US. Inspection rarely occur, and recored keeping is minimal and tainted. Planned Parenthood is behind this whole disturbing industry of murder and death. PP even is now wanting the right to kill babies that are born alive. And thats a fact. This Dr. Gosnell is nothing more than the product of an industry gone crazy with killing babies for money....its all about the money and nothing else. In case you are no familier with the history of the abortion industry in the US....starting reading up on it. Ready why PP is really in the Black and Hispanic communities....they are there to keep these races at a minimum. Its a fact. Smarten up people....next it will be the old folks who could be put to death, the disabled....if you don't think it will happen....just wait and see.

April 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |