Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona speaks with Jim and Doris Tucker in Tucson on the morning of January 8.
March 4th, 2011

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' office Friday released a picture of her taken the morning of the shooting.

The congresswoman is seen standing in front of the grocery store, talking to constituents identified by her office as Jim and Doris Tucker.

Jim Tucker was shot twice, once in his calf and once in his collarbone, according to CNN affiliate KOLD. His wife escaped unharmed.

"I've wondered since the very beginning why wasn't I shot? But I just take it as a miracle from God that I wasn't, for some purpose," Doris Tucker has told the network.

The shooting outside the Tucson, Arizona, store on January 8 left six people dead and critically wounded Giffords.

She is undergoing rehabilitation at a medical facility in Houston.

The accused gunman, Jared Lee Loughner, was indicted Friday on 49 counts including murder and attempted murder.

Post by:
Filed under: Gabrielle Giffords
  1. Rich

While it's certainly nice that the Tuckers survived, it's sad that anyone can think God saved them from the carnage. For that to be true, they have to believe that God didn't want to save those who died.

March 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • gustav maia

indeed

March 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

Right, because in order for God to ever save anyone, everyone has to be immortal?

March 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alfred

@ Andrew – that makes no sense. If the woman in the article believed that God specifically intervened and saved her life, he must have chosen not to do so for the 6 killed during that shooting since, well, they died. So either this woman is offensively deluded, or God is sadistic.

March 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

I think the point Andrew is trying to make is that everybody dies. Being thankful for life doesn't belittle the suffering of others any more than enjoying the beauty of a nature belittles a forest fire that happened fifty miles away.

I think Andrew – correct me if I'm wrong – was trying to say that affirming life doesn't need – or mean – to belittle death. It is precisely in the face of tragedy that we can truly recognize the value of life.

March 27, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dike

Miracle she survived and everyone is happy for her. and god did not stop the killer, did god create the killer and did god make the killer kill people... to many unanswered Questions if God is involved

March 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

I can answer them for you. If God exists, he didn't stop the killer because he allows free will. He did not create the killer, the killer's mom and dad had a special time together and he popped out nine months later. God did not make the killer kill people, the killer was crazy and decided by his own free will to kill people.

Quite simple.

March 4, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

Yeah, Andrew, but God DOES allow earthquakes, tsunamis, and diseases to kill millions. Oh but wait, I forgot, now religious people point to SCIENCE to explain such things. I forgot that proof of God's existence can be found (LAUGH) in everything science CAN'T explain yet. Absurd.

March 4, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

God doesn't allow or disallow anything. He doesn't save people. He doesn't kill people. He doesn't exist.

March 4, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

Tyler – why exactly is it that in order to believe in God, it's also required that we believe God does literally everything? People like to throw around the "goddidit" joke until a Christian mentions science, and then all of the sudden reason becomes the joke?

Jack – the burden of proof is on you here, buddy.

March 4, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alfred

@ Andrew – How is the burden of proof on non-believers? There is no physical evidence of God in our daily lives. There aren't angels flying around or seas being parted. The default position is that there is nothing. If somebody wants to claim that God, Allah, whatever is actually in sky pulling the strings, the burden of proof is on them.

March 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DRILL BABY DRLL

If you are a woman I care about you HD, if you are a man you can go ........

March 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DGR

This thread once again shows why it is stupid for CNN to allow viewers to post on the site. It makes a mockery of everything. Shame on you CNN.

March 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I agree with you, respected news organizations should remove the option to leave comments, I think "shame" is a strong word, but still I agree with you.

March 5, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • rob

most accurate and compelling truth spoken yet.

March 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

So why do you post DGR

March 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rich

famous athiest once said on his death bed that it was ok to live as an athiest but sure sucks to die as one

March 4, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • tcp

Is that supposed to somehow prove something?

March 27, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Loud Noises

I guess no one leaving comments has ever suffered a traumatic event in which people died. If so, none of you would be leaving comments of such a incongruous nature.
    Doris Tucker witnessed a horrific and traumatic event. She saw her husband get shot, she witnessed many people shot, and many people murdered. She has probably tried over and over in her head, to understand why such a horrible thing had happened, and she probably wonders "What if...?" She probably has horrible nightmares. So, I guess for her, believing that god spared her for some purpose, is a good way to cope with it.
    If she was an atheist, she could have said "I guess it was just pure luck." If she said that, all of you would still act like complete morons, and try and win some battle of "Who is better." Guess what, none of you are better, just because of what you believe. Believing in God works for some people, and it doesn't work for others. It is THAT SIMPLE.

Golly Gee, I love watching Atheists and Theists foam at the mouth like rabid dogs in the comment space.

March 4, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

Is your intense lashing out also directed at my posts which do nothing than defend the woman and her right to her own beliefs? If so, why is it okay for you to say it but not me?

March 5, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Alana

Agreed.

March 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jim Davis

I used to be okay with Athiests. I figured, they have a right to believe whatever they want, that's fine this is America, afterall. However, after reading disrespectful and rude comments day after day, I've deceided that Athiests are underserving of my respect, because they can't give others the same consideration. I have now resolved to lump you all together as A holes and pin heads and scu m. Your head is so busy sniffing your own azzes you can't comprehend any thing that doesent kic yours. I s p i t in your face and laugh at your pea brain mentality. You are morally bankrupt and worship nothing but your pe peas. Athiests are the lowest form of of life, and take every opportunity to prove it. Nice job guys, I know you are so proud of yourselves.... Again, it just goes to prove my point that Athiests don't deserve respect from anyone. One thing you HAVE accomplished though, you have made me dispize ALL of you. Congratulation !!! I'm sure your fellow non believers are happy to be associated with such fine examples as yourselves.

March 5, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Mehgann

Well, clearly you are the authority to which we all should hope to be judged.

March 5, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Alfred

Congrats Jim, you've now proven that you judge entire groups of people based on individuals. That's what we call "prejudice" or "bigotry". I don't know you so I can only speculate, but I wonder what your views are on black people or gay people?

March 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrlgh

Ummm...I know I'm supposed to be a pea-brain and all but it's despise and not dispize....but nice rant anyway. Please, continue...don't hold back now....tell us how you REALLY feel....

March 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

Did you ever notice how most thumpers are barely able to construct complete sentences, spell the simplest of words, or grasp basic grammar and punctuation? Seriously, my five-year-old can write a better paragraph than most of you morons.

March 25, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Smart a$$

@ Jim Davis: high five! God needs not explain Himself nor be understood by the small-brained.

March 5, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Loud Noises

@Andrew- No it wasn't directed at you. You were not being insulting at all. I enjoyed your comments. It was directed at a couple other people. Their comments read to me as obnoxious
    An example, the first commenter said it was sad that she believes what she believes.
    There was another commenter that left an obnoxious comment.

I have a good idea of what that woman is going through after being in a scary situation like that. So I got on the defensive. I just know, that in order to deal with something like that, you have to go with what you believe to get through the day. Some people use faith, others use scientific fact, others just say it is what it is.

March 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ChiltepinRN

If your eyes were opened you would see the angels fly...and you'd pis$ yourself. one day your very lips will declare what you so vehemently deny now...and you will do it quaking on bent knees. Laugh while you can. The laughter will end. It will be a sadness immeasurable and unending.

March 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • tcp

One day you will die and you will be interred and your body will decay...that's it. But thanks for you point of view.

March 27, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Koji

Fun fact... studies have shown atheists know more about religion than believers... Just figured I'd fan the flames a little.

March 6, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
    • tcp

WOOSH!!! 🙂

March 27, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. DLR

Google: "Hell is an Awfully Big City," to see why this blog is a sign of the end times.

March 6, 2011 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. jfk

Religion kills...why can't u all keep your f'n thoughts 2 yourselves? Your ego won't allow it. u should all shut the f up and move on to something more important.ie:saving the world . It would seem u r all qualified .

March 11, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jfk

On and on and on and on ...and the winner is?

March 11, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |