The man who fell into an abandoned northern Nevada mine earlier this week has been declared dead, an official said Saturday.
The Pershing County, Nevada, coroner made the determination around 12:30 Friday afternoon, U.S. Bureau of Land Management spokesman Doran Sanchez said.
There was no safe way to retrieve the body and that the shaft would be sealed, Sanchez said.
The 28-year-old man, who has not been identified, plunged into part of the Murphy's Mine Complex on Wednesday, officials have said.
Rescue teams were called in, but operations were abandoned shortly after authorities determined that sending anyone into the shaft would be too dangerous, given the mine's age and instability.
They lowered a camera that showed the man still breathing as of 3 a.m. Friday.
Sanchez said the young man had suffered severe head and body trauma injuries during the accident. The man fell into the shaft in part of Pershing County, located about 60 miles south of the city of Winnemuca. The complex dates back to 1895 and had been abandoned.
He worked as a contract employee of a drilling company and grew up in the community, Sanchez said.