BYU basketball faithful still love Davies
Brandon Davies, right, takes a shot against UNLV in January. He was suspended last week for the remainder of the season.
March 7th, 2011

BYU basketball faithful still love Davies

Brandon Davies, who was suspended from the Brigham Young Cougars basketball team last week for an honor code violation, sat with his team for the last regular season game against Wyoming this weekend.

And the crowd went wild.

Davies was allowed to sit on the bench Saturday with his teammates, and about 5,000 students chanted “We love Brandon!” and “We love Davies” before the game and during timeouts, The Salt Lake Tribune reported.

After the game, during which No. 3 BYU clinched a conference title, the street-clothes-clad sophomore forward climbed up the ladder to help cut down the net. “Davies! Davies!” the crowd roared.

Coach Dave Rose told the newspaper he felt it was a good idea for Davies to attend the game. Seniors Jimmer Fredette and Jackson Emery concurred.

“He’s like a brother to us, and we’ve had a lot of good times together. He’s been here two years with us, and he’s a huge part of this team. To have him on the sideline feels right. It feels right to have him there with us, enjoying this moment, instead of him not being there,” Fredette told The Tribune.

The university’s honor code, which must be signed by anyone attending BYU, states students must “live a chaste and virtuous life,” among other provisions. Davies was suspended for having premarital sex, according to several sources who spoke to The Tribune.

BYU was dismantled 82-64 by unranked New Mexico in its first game following the suspension of its 6-foot-9 forward.

Though the Cougars were ranked No. 3 and appeared on track to earning a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament later this month, they are expected to fall in this week’s rankings, which will be released Monday afternoon.

Post by:
Filed under: College basketball • Education • Religion • Sports • U.S. • Utah
  1. Centrist

I notice nobody ever commented on Joel Osteen ripping people off at the begining of the financial meltdown. *whistle* Joel Osteen? Who? Where? What? Greedy snake oil salesmen? Where?

March 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. BillMillerMasterOfDisguise

Oh numsheeba molarum zulurum.. Kalimahhh... Turtle turtle! Chica-go shikaka!

March 7, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. myklds

@Centrist: We have no intentions of leaving you and your family alone! We will continue to knock on your door and pester you until you come to church and donate your money or your virgin 14 year old daughter. How else will our numbers grow if we don't monopolize all the young spring chickens? No you can't buy a car factory direct and no you can't get into heaven without 2-3 middlemen! Geez.. Now ya wanna join?

March 7, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • myklds

I thought that Atheists has a brain as the size of a quarks. A desperate move of using my monicker by one of their loylyf minions here had just took away all the doubt.

March 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Centrist

@myklds: I believe in the real God. I volunteer, donate $$$$ (even though I don't have $), and live a generally isolationist existence. One time I volunteered at Salvation Army. The manager and another worker took a piece of dog excrement that fell out of a donation bag and tossed it back and forth. They played with dried doggy waste is what I'm saying. Now I must have missed that part in the bible. Lol! Now tell me I'm going to hades because I don't accept a middleman.

March 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • myklds

@Centrist..Believe me or not, there is a lowlyf troll that is using the inability of CNN to to detect different IP or e-mail address using the same monicker. I don't know what's the use of requiring an e-mail ad in making a comment.

There's a FAKE using my monicker, it's up for you to identify it.

March 7, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Centrist

I have a 3.67 gpa. My Iq is 125-130. My major in school is in biochemistry. What are your credentials? Oh the bible? Oh some book about a kid who looked into his hat? Tell me does all the knowledge in the universe exist in one book? I'm pretty sure God is smarter than the Bible. Just my opinion. You brought up quarks after all. Which verse does the bible cover subatomic particles? Oh it doesn't? Well my God is intelligent not some angry lamb eater. Lol God Bless you! You need it.

March 7, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • myklds

@Centrist..Again, Believe me or not, I was supposedly replying to the FAKE (myklds) poster @ #10. Honestly, I was not referring to you when I mentioned "a brain the size of a quarks" but to that FAKE and LOWLYF TROLL.

But wait...you said that "you wholeheartedly believe in God" but I was referring to the "Atheists" for that reply, but Atheists DO NOT believe in God right?

Too bad that your "3.67 gpa., Iq is 125-130 and major in school is in biochemistry." wasn't enough to realize it that you may not be caught by your own mouth.

Thanks to the FAKE (myklds) for setting-up the hook, but no thanks, I had enough fish for the day.

March 7, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Centrist

Oh... Yeah I'm not black. Amistad doesn't apply to me lol. I'm getting off here now. Good movie though.

March 7, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Demps

Ok, so he got suspended from the team. He shouldnt have been allowed on the bench either. He got caught and had to pay for it. Sorry bout his luck. Thats how it goes. Personal beliefs have nothing to do with it. He broke the rules, got caught, and had to pay for it. Again, sorry about his luck!

March 8, 2011 at 3:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. SADIE

I am so glad Brandon is being a man and taking his consequinces. NBA players need to watch this guy for tips!

March 8, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Amanda

the morom religion amongst all religions are nothing more than control over the masses. The truth is no one knows what happens when we die. All the different religions in the world conflit with one another as well as contradict its teachings. If it makes your life easier by telling yourself lies,be my guest. Human beings need to stop being enslaved by fear of a man made book. Divide us and they win. Open your eyes people and start asking questions

March 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. kimberlyn

As for being an LDS member sense i was a baby i thank my parents for the road they put in front of me. Sense i was a child it was there for me to take it yes or no, i believe i have chosen well i love this church and at such a young age "15" I'm thankful for the knowledge this church has increase for my family as it has for me. It seems for me that there are places were the rules will be oppressive at the end we all know just to do it be good, OBEDIENT!.

December 5, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. ObammaAlabamaSlamma

Maybe you should read up on the definition of a cult.

March 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Reality

@Slamma: Mormons are a member of a cult. You should read up on the definition of a cult and you'll understand that the Mormon religion by definition is a cult.

March 7, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Rico

Hmm might be the most ignorant, uninformed comment i've heard about BYU in a long time...

March 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. yescult

Rico, you much not read much if that is the most uniformed comment you've read about BYU. Yes, Brigham Young was a leader of the Mormons and the Mormons are a CULT, so what does that make BYU?

March 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Wahine

Why do you say it is a cult...What is a cult????????

March 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply