NATO starts Libyan surveillance, while U.S., UK, France mull no-fly zone
France, Britain, and the United States are drafting a resolution that would create a no-fly zone over Libya.
March 7th, 2011

NATO starts Libyan surveillance, while U.S., UK, France mull no-fly zone

NATO has launched around-the-clock surveillance flights of Libya as it considers various options for dealing with escalating violence in the war-torn country, America's ambassador to the organization told reporters Monday.

Representatives of key Western powers also highlighted the possibility of establishing a no-fly zone in Libya - part of growing campaign to break strongman Moammar Gadhafi's grip on power.

France, Britain, and the United States are working on a draft text that includes language on a no-fly zone over Libya, diplomatic sources at the United Nations said Monday.

The possible resolution will deal with triggers rather than timelines, one diplomat said.  If gross violations of human rights are committed, the diplomat added, the elements could be quickly turned into a resolution.

The text would be subject to a vote by the 15 members of the Security Council.  A Security Council diplomat said they were looking to submit the ideas to the council soon.

Any kind of military intervention in Libya could face sharp criticism from Russia and China who rarely approve of such measures.

Post by:
Filed under: France • Libya • United Kingdom • World
  1. Centrist

@Frank: I think you need prozac or something. Not everyone on here is a tea bagger. Lol Just because they disagree with you that makes them a tea party member?

March 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. L64

Frank, you were the one who inspired me to write that post. Your hatred is going to eat you alive.

March 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. L64

Centrist, l agree. Education, formally or informally, creates an atmosphere of discussion and understanding.

March 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

Centrist and 64, fukk you, you stupid motherfukkers I'm Fukkin Frank and no one insults me, next time I'm fukkin your mothers

March 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Anyone with half a brain knows that you're not Frank,just an ignorant Tea Partier posting under my name. Your profanity again gives you away!!!

March 8, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Frank

Lee you to, asholld , go post on your grandmas ass you stupid fukk

March 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Frank

To all of you fukkers out there, don't dare insult fukkin Frank, I'm the real and true motherfukkin Frank.

March 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Frank

You 3 ashollds will be marked from now on, Lee, Centrist and stupid 64, I'm gonna be monitoring your asses and when I see you I fukk you

March 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Davis

I feel sorry for you,Frank. It looks like some Tea Partying jerk has it in for you above as he posts his profanity under your name. I know you didn't post the above.

March 8, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Davis

P.S. Do you wear tight boy jeans?

March 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brandon

Why is CNN trying to convince us that we need to get involved in Libya? We the American people have no business getting involved. It does seem however that plenty of others must have business in mind. I feel for the people in Libya, but we obviously do not and cannot help all the people in the world that are not given the same rights as us. So many of you are so ready to sacrifice our young men in the military for causes that you do no even understand. I am a veteran of the Marine Corps, and yet I would do anything to keep my kids out of the military. With our Military being run like the Mafia and the public being swayed so easily by propaganda, sadly I think America is near it's end.

March 8, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Thank you,Brandon. The above is one of the most sensible posts here yet. I fully agree.

March 8, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. elliott perrier

its time to bring him down he is too old and he has no reason to keep the diplomatic form going the people hold the power the power he holds should be from the people decision if they want him too step down he should have. But instead he is acting like a spoiled child who wants things togo his way.

March 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Frank

Jim your father is the jerk for creating you, or maybe he wasn't the one who fuk your mother

March 8, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Just ignore the above post,Jim. These ignorant,foul-mouthed Tea Partiers never give up as they blog the same to me!!!

March 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

Actually Brandon, your post sucks. Go back to school and learn something. Hey, I have another joke. A dog goes into a bar and says, "I'm looking for the man that shot my paw." Seriously folks, this is a great opportunity for the U.S. to maybe have a military base there with a prison like that Gamobo Bay thingy. Go Obama! We love you Washington.

March 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse Cook

I confess Brandon,Cesar never posted the above,I did. I just wanted to come clean about it. After all,Im just another Tea Partier!

March 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

Wake up Washington! You need to place a military base in Libya ASAP. Do it before it is too late. Let's go!

March 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse Cook

Sorry Cesar for making a jerk out of you,but I had to do it to somebody by posting the above!!!

March 9, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

This must be a different Cesar.

March 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse Cook

No Mary,It's me Jesse again advocating going around the world sending troops to fight everybody's war for them everwhere we go like a true Tea Partier would!!!!

March 9, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jerome Puetz

Solution to Libya

The UN should declare that any countries that continue to buy there OIL be put on the list of least favorable countries to trade with. The Sudia government has already agreed to increase production. Can’t the UN push through sanctions to save lives.

Jerome/Illinois