March 11th, 2011

Wildfires burning across Oklahoma prompt emergency declaration

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin today declared a State of Emergency for all 77 Oklahoma counties as more than two dozen wildfires spread across the state, causing evacuations.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all Oklahomans who have been impacted by these fires as well as our emergency responders in harms' way," Fallin said. "We know homes, as well as other property, have been lost and we will work to do everything we can to help Oklahomans during their time of need."

Under the Executive Order, state agencies can make emergency purchases and acquisitions needed to expedite the delivery of resources to local jurisdictions. The declaration also marks a first step toward seeking federal assistance should it be necessary.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Oklahoma • Weather
  1. Hilo, HI

The haters here don't care one bit about the hurt they're causing to the disaster victims who are checking in for information.

I can't even imagine the added anguish I would be feeling if Hawaii had been devastated by this tsunami, and I was then reading Obama-haters taking joy in it.

March 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter rabbit

You can't compare the two types of people...one live and let live and one live how I do or die.

March 12, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. josh

Yeah, I lived there. We survived the last round of fires, two freak blizzards, ice storms that shut down half the state and finally a hail storm that literally totaled 2 cars – one a very sturdy vovlo – with baseball sized hail that, among deep dents and smashed windows, punched two holes in the sheet metal. We bought a new car and freaking left! That state is doomed. Nothing to do with politics, though having people who hate the middle and lower class in charge doesn't help, but location alone is gonna wreck that state.

March 11, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • the dude

Everyone here thinks Jesus is the reason for everything. All they do is watch Faux, worship Glen Beck and talk about the end of days. It's not that people here are hateful, they're just dumb. The school system here practically allows people with high-school degrees to teach. And like anything, it's junk in, junk out. If they were willing to put forth some effort to do better... well they'd be another state. It's all for the rich folk here.

March 12, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Susan G

Praying for my Oklahoma friends!

March 12, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Steve

The dude: Could stand to get his facts straight when it comes to Oklahoma's education/school system.
    What state are you from buddy? I can just as easily spread lies about your state.

Excuse me guys, off to worship Glenn Beck, my personal Jesus.

March 12, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. CABNR

I think its hilarious how most are making blanket judgements about one another. I am not from Oklahoma but I am married to someone who is, and the first thing he did after graduating high school was leave. But it was from lack of opportunity to go anywhere in life, and his abusive red-neck father who insisted he stay and become a nobody and a nothing just for the sake of never leaving "home". I don't blame the state of Oklahoma for my spouses ignorant and highly UN-intelligent father. There are some wonderful people in the state of Oklahoma that are open minded and trying to catch up with the rest of the more civilized states on tolerance and equality. Bottom line, no human race, ethnicity, or community as a whole deserves to endure losing their homes, jobs, possessions, etc simply because of where they live. The malady of ignorance is not limited to one race, creed, religion, community, or nationality. It can infect anyone anywhere.

March 12, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. someone from some place

Do you all not get it???? It's not the fact that someone believes in one thing and someone else believes in the other or even that you come from a different state !! the fact of the matter is we are all americans and we all believe differentley which is why we all live in different areas of the U.S. because we all have different ideas as to what we want but that does not mean that we should degrade each other on those matters because we all are americans and no matter what the state we comefrom or even background or bellifes we have we should have each others backs expecially in a time ofemergency BIG or SMALL!!!

March 12, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. someone from some place

Do you all not get it !!! its not about what you believe in its not what state you have come from... those things are going to happen and people live in dfferent areas first because we all cannot live in the same place at once and because we all have different ideas as to what we want for our life and im just gonna go out on a limb and say that no one wants to loose evey thing they work their whole life on just to loose in a matter of minutes by a natural disatser or anything of that matter or maybe that would just be me but in any case we all believe inmany different things but the one thing that brings us together as similars is that we all live in the United States and when one state has devistation we should have their back because with out that state We Wouldnt be the United States of America
    JUST MY THOUGHTS

March 12, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. lindagunter77

Refinancing means taking out a new mortgage with a lower interest rate to pay off your existing mortgage, search online for 123 Mortgage Refinance I got 2.831% rate on refinance!

March 12, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Kelly

Well I have read enough hate, biggoted crap on this thread that it makes me sick. What makes any of you opinionated idiots any better than the people of Oklahoma ? I was born and raised in Indiana, moved to California, Missouri, Tennessee, then moved to Oklahoma in 91. I have seen the best and worst of those states just as I have with Oklahoma. I have come to love this state and many of the people here. I fell in love with a fantastic man, became a grandma and enjoy my life and our family. I find the educational system here to be just as good if not better than Indiana's. The people here are no different than the people anywhere else in this country. Every state has it's inbreds, racists, and morons. Why wish death and destruction on honest hard working people ? Would you like the rest of the country to say stupid hateful crap about your states ? I may not have been born in this state but this is my home by choice and I wouldn't change it even if I could. Did I miss a statement somewhere naming you as our judge ? Remember that lovely saying from the bible judge not least ye be judged ! Oklahoma is a great state with many wonderful things to see, do and experience. It may not be for everyone but for those of us who live here and want to be here it's ours and we're proud of it. Politics has nothing to do with the wild fires and dragging politics into it is just your way of making yourself the center of attention instead of dealing with whats going on !! The attention should be on the families who lost everything to the fire and not politics.

March 12, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. TulsaLandman

If you're going to read these comment sections, you have to realize there are subhuman trolls commenting on nearly every story just trying to get a rile out of people for lols. Give them the same treatment they are used to receiving in their daily lives and ignore them entirely. The more you acknowledge their insignificant existence, the more terrible things they'll say. They are easy to identify so please, "don't feed the trolls."

That said, my prayers go out to my fellow Okies who've lost their homes and had their land damaged.

March 12, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jewels

I am praying for those in Oklahoma, god bless them, and god bless these people who have such ill minded souls! :)

March 12, 2011 at 3:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Dorothy

Please let us know where the wonderful state (I will call it Nirvana) where some of you seem to reside. My family and I have lived in 14 states and traveled in 32. We have seen it all, drug addicts on street corners, homeless on the streets, super rich in their new Bentleys driving by. But in your state of nirvana, politicians are fair and honest, schools turn out only college graduates and you are not troubled by those pesky Christians. In my world, which actually includes living some of my life in Oklahoma, I am grateful for the neighbor who cared enough to risk her own safety to come out in the ice to help my 84 yo mom who had fallen on ice and couldn't be seen by anyone driving by. Or grateful that there are still people willing to volunteer to jump on a fire truck and go to try save a neighbors house or crops with no offer of pay. Grateful for knowing the type of people who would end their day of work and then head over to a neighbors to feed livestock or bring dinner to a sick friend. You can have your nirvana. I will still take a place like Oklahoma warts and all. Wake up, no place is nirvana expecially if you never do anything but post your complaints. Go volunteer at a school or hospital or a candidate. Just do something other than cast aspersions on an entire state of people you can't possibly know anything about.

March 12, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Iconoclast

Earthquakes in San Francisco, as well as HIV, have been declared god's punishment by the self-Righteous. What goes around comes around!

March 12, 2011 at 4:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. lindagunter77

After what seemed like a lifetime of thirty-Year adjustable-rate mortgages, with monthly mortgage payments going up all the time, The 123 mortgage refinance helped me to lock in a great low fixed rate of 3.16%, helping me to guarantee myself the ability to always make my mortgage payment on time with money to spare.

March 12, 2011 at 5:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. HelenHull102951

Cut funding, fire dept., cut their salaries, raise their pensions,hand out pink slips, then ask them to fight your fires and answer to your emergencies. LoL and Ha-Ha the old sain goes you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours went out the window at the last budget meeting!! YOU FOOLS

March 12, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse | Reply