More than half of tourist town residents unaccounted for
March 12th, 2011

More than half of tourist town residents unaccounted for

A tiny tourist and fishing community on Japan's rugged Pacific coastline is missing more than half its residents following Friday's powerful earthquake, according to local government officials cited by Kyodo News Agency.

About 9,500 residents are unaccounted for in Minamisanriku, located in Miyagi Prefecture.  The village economy relies largely on tourism and commercial fishing, according to community websites.

Among its tourist attractions is a museum that boasts about 16,000 annual visitors and features dinosaur fossils and ancient traditional fishing gear. Chief industries in Minamisanriku include agriculture, forestry and fishing, the websites said.

Some of the more prominent fish hauled in from offshore include silver salmon, kelp, shark fin, tuna, abalone, oysters and scallops.

Click here to see the before and after images of the devastation in Soma and Minamisanriku, Japan.

One local website reports the local economy has been recently challenged by plummeting numbers of workers and competition from imported seafood. Farms in the region produce rice, vegetables and livestock, according to community websites.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. 2pac

I aint neva hurd bout no chinese ppl havin eartquakes but o well daz how it go

March 12, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason

Hey 2Pac... have you heard of this wonderful program called 'school'?? Educate yourself not only in Geography, but spelling, syntax, and become a relevant, productive contributor to discussion. I am embarrassed by your low level skill set.

March 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

Uh...they're talking about J apan.

My sincere condolences to all in J apan who have lost loved ones...and the families of those around the world who have lost loved ones.

I also think it's ignorant of CNN to censor the name of the country that they themselves put in their headlines...and where all this devastation is taking place. Why we have to type things in this manner mystifies me...

March 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. ed bailey

Cnn. Is an enigma but Godaffi has shown the way by arresting cnn crew for IMPERSONATING journalist's!

March 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jazz

ya, just tried to post something about that no posting a countrys name bit and sure enough it didnt take , LOL at your comment

March 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. oldzoom

Japan wow!! I just said Japan... This whole story just breaks my heart :cry: and the word filters here are so lame :roll:

March 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. RoseMeow

Looking for parents and sister in Minami-Sanriku-Machi...is there any place where survivors are being listed that we can access in the U.S. besides google, twitter, and trying to call on the phone? Can't find any information anywhere.

March 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. banasy

Now how is it you can say it and I can't, oldzoom? it does it to me every time! Oh, well...:)

March 12, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. oldzoom

@banasy, because I know ascii html coding, being a geek finally pays off :mrgreen:

March 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. banasy

LMAO, oldzoom! Too funny!!!

March 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ed Bailey

All joking aside, the gravity of the situation is horrible. The good people in the world will grieve along with the victims, most of us have to do it from afar. If I was a millionaire I would be on my way but be warm in my thoughts is the best I can do!

March 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jazz

@ Banasy , it did it to me to , i think there after us , quick put down the beers and turn off the lights , maybe they'll go to Charlie Sheens house instead.

March 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. 1608

Did not see or hear news today, what's with s'napaJ nuke plant?

March 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Barbara Nicholas

In regard to the comment about 2Pac getting an education, he most likely did: a US education. I would not be too embarassed for 2Pac but more embarassed for the country that produced him. Should look at German education system. Stanards are set by the national government not a crazy bunch of hacks on a board inp Texas. Further, Germans believe in the imporance of a good elemantry education. They would never create a two class system with private schools and public schools. We could even take some pointers from the Venezualan musical system.

March 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • FlyGuyInSJ

Texas is way ahead of California. I'm pulling my kids out of public school this year because I just can't take it anymore. Where has the competence in teaching that existed in California 40 years ago when I got my primary education gone?

The national standards in the US aren't part of the answer, they are part of the problem. One of the reasons private schools are so much better is local control. Abolishing federal – and even state – level departments of education would be a good start toward fixing what is broken.

March 13, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

@Jazz: I'll pop a cold one with ya anytime! :)

@Barbara: You should take advantage of spellcheck. Just saying!

March 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. oldzoom

@Barbara, thanks for showing off your German education with misspelled words and poor sentence structure. I just bet your the pride of your master race :roll:

March 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • huuked on fonix

you mean "you're" ??

March 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

Heiniken is good German beer.

March 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply