Gotta Watch: iReporters capture scope of quake
iReporter Brent Kooi films as the ground breaks open.
March 14th, 2011

Gotta Watch: iReporters capture scope of quake

Earth opens, shuts, gurgles - Brent Kooi explains his experience of the quake as he films the ground open and shut. Despite a seemingly composed narration, this video is anything but calm as the cracks in the earth and sidewalks gurgle up water.

Quake sloshes water from pool - A man working pool maintenance at a U.S. Navy base pulled out his iPhone to shoot this during the quake. This video shows water cascading down steps from the pool as the man makes his way out of the facility.

'Looks like a bomb hit it' – After major shaking had stopped, Sean Crownover surveys his apartment in Tokyo where everything has been smashed and knocked over.

Quake rattles train – Once again, in what seems to be a terrifying situation, everyone remains relatively calm. This video was taken by iReporter Derek Schanze, who was visiting his father in Tokyo.  He says at first he didn't realize how serious it was.

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • iReport • Japan
  1. Rob

That first video is so fake

March 14, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

you dont need 'scope' if you brush you teeth godd every day..

March 15, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Evile

What happens to Earth?

March 15, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Col. Bat Guano

That was Godzilla vs. Mothra. Richard T. and Greenbeam need to get hip.

March 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sarcasmIC

sad... I wonder if they will have time to evacuate everyone if the radiation increases and the winds blow inland...
    how ironic..Iron maiden was flying to tokyo for a concert and had to divert...check out the lyrics and the song....When the wild wind blows..-Iron maiden....

March 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sarah

May God be with us all. http://nopolicestate.blogspot.com

March 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Phil Welch

Perhaps they can remotely pour water into the various pools by flying an appropriately long water hose held in the air by an appropriately sized series of helium balloons along the length of the hose. Then by standing upwind they would be able to position the water precisely over the pools. Steady winds would help hold the hose in place.

March 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Patrick Rosengren

Major question not asked, and topic not mentioned. Of the possible millions of gallons being dumped on the reactor for cooling, WHERE IS THIS WATER GOING TO? This is nuclear run off and doesn't seem to be a topic of concern for anyone. This could be veru devistating to our pacific and soon global ecosystem.

March 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kalyn

Very cool video, I really thought it was underground water as well.... Guess I am one of the ignorants as well.

As far as attacking bam.... attack him for being rude. But, I too get tired of people assuming that I want their gods help. I do not ever push my beliefs and religion onto others. I do not want the prayers of people whos god says I am doomed because of my religion. They believe I am going to hell, but yet they are going to pray for me? Pray for my country? etc. I think it is rude and selfish to assume that your god is the only god. There are many. I am sorry to offend you all. But you offend evryone else with your narrow minds. You are so used to being narrow minded that you can not even understand how disrespectful it is. A large majority of you would not appreciate or like for a person to tell you that we will pray to buddah or mohammad for you. you would be as we are with your silly things that you say with out even thinking , without real feelings, just an automatic response because it is what you were taught. If i was born in another region I would be another religion .... so please.... respect each others beliefs as we respect yours.

March 19, 2011 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nidelvia Duran

What is the location of where this video was shot? Can you do an update on what is happening now? Any news info would be good too.

March 23, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. vernon gregg

I am a 58 year old male who has been hospitalized for 2.5 months with cancer of the stomach. Most of my stomach was removed during the surgery and I am still recovering. I was misdiagnosed for a year and told I had acid reflux. I still have a feeding tube I must use daily and must eat small portions (4)ounces of food every two hours. I lost a lot of weight but still need chemotherapy which I cannot get until I gain the weight back which may take a year. My weight was 189 and now it's 117. I am experiencing severe financial difficulty and unable to work. I am in need of 6,000 to 8,000 dollars to pay my rent and bills. I would very much appreciate if someone could assist me in my time of need. My Pay Pal Information is hak898@gmail.com. Thank you..267-560-7631

May 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |