Tsunami aid and relief: How you can help
A tsunami smashes vehicles and houses Friday in Kesennuma in northern Japan.
March 14th, 2011

Tsunami aid and relief: How you can help

For more information, check out CNN's "Impact Your World" section.

The world is mobilizing to help victims of Friday's 8.9-magnitude earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami on Japan.

The U.S. State Department is urging U.S. citizens to contact friends and family as soon as possible. They can also e-mail the State Department at JapanEmergencyUSC@state.gov. Those seeking information on security in or travel to Japan can call 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444.

Google also is assisting in helping victims touch base with friends and loved ones. Its People Finder, which was tracking almost 153,000 records as of Monday morning, allows users to look for victims or post information about people. It works in five languages.

As myriad nations offer monetary aid, condolences and rescue teams, many people around the world are seeking ways to ease the burden on the Japanese government and people.

The humanitarian group World Vision is rushing personnel into the affected areas and providing food, water, medical supplies and shelter for victims.

It also plans to establish one or more “child-friendly spaces” for kids “affected by disasters to resume normal childhood activities and experience structure and security that are often lost following emergency situations."

Follow World Vision’s blog for updates, and visit its website or text “4japan” to 20222 to send a $10 donation to the group. It will show up on your next mobile phone bill.

The American Red Cross sent a disaster expert from Washington to Japan on Monday and the Japanese Red Cross has dispatched dozens of response teams. If you'd like to donate to the Red Cross efforts, text "redcross" to 90999, and you can make a $10 donation to the organization.

You can also keep up with Red Cross updates by following its Twitter feed and Facebook updates.

The Salvation Army, which has had a presence in Japan since 1895, sent a team to Sendai to assess damages and hopes to provide food, water and other necessities. In Tokyo, the Salvation Army opened its main building to house and feed commuters who were unable to reach their homes.

The aid organization is issuing updates via its blog, its Twitter feed and Facebook page. It also is accepting donations via text message. Those interested in contributing $10 to the group can text "japan" or "quake" to 80888.

AmeriCares, which is also accepting donations, said it is mobilizing resources and sending an emergency response manager to the region.

Save the Children is sending an emergency team to assist its staff in Japan. Donations to the group's Children's Emergency Fund will help preserve the welfare of young ones, who "are always the most vulnerable in a disaster," Eiichi Sadamatsu in central Tokyo said in a statement.

Globalgiving.com, another aid organization that allows donors to select the causes they want to support - including climate change, economic development, human rights and disaster relief - has established a Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund. GlobalGiving will disburse funds to organizations providing aid and relief to victims.

Among those organizations are Save the Children and the International Medical Corps. The Corps, which focuses on "health care training and relief and development programs," is coordinating with local authorities and partners to determine the most pressing needs. It also is providing technical expertise and assisting with logistics.

To contribute to the Corps' efforts, visit its website or text "med" to 80888 to send the group a $10 donation.

And don't forget the "other" victims of the temblor and tsunami. The American Humane Association, which has been rescuing animals in disasters since 1916, has set up a relief fund for rescuing animals. Donations help provide shelter and care.

You can keep up with American Humane Association developments on Twitter and Facebook.

For more information, please read CNNMoney's story explaining how donors should watch the crisis unfold before sending contributions. The article also provides tips on what to give, where to give and how to avoid scams.

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Animals • Earthquake • Japan • Natural Disasters • Tsunami • World
  1. TERRY K. CANTRELL

single: and ready to go wanting to help who do i get ahold of to get started

March 12, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lamar

I have already donated money. Who do I contact about volunteering my time?

March 12, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. ADAM

I would like to help, how do i go about this? i would like to volunteer not just money but time.

March 12, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Adrienne

I wanted to know if any organizations are going to do food drives. I am a girl scout leader in Arkansas and my girls want to take part in the relief by setting up donation boxes in the area. Thanks.

March 12, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Heidi

Red Cross should have an option for food drives, blankets, etc.
      LDS. org will also have that option as well with a location in your area.

March 15, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. karthik

seen that natural distarter ...wheather god der or not ......it came like monste cant able 2 see tat hw can i help

March 12, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Max

I am willing to help and go over there!
    I lived there for a year, and worked for a large organization.
    As of now- it is shut down for the month, flooded, and all the employees are not able to live in their homes that they provide!
    It was all built over reclaimed land!

I want to help and go over there- how can I do so?

March 12, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Maureen

do not give to global giving, make sure you check the rating on these charities before you give. global giving is one of the lowest.

March 12, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • T3chsupport

I looked it up and found that you are full of crap. Take that crap elsewhere.

March 12, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Secos77

I wish CNN would provide news about the following: How many workers are presently tending to the nuclear reactor crisis? Are new ones arriving? How do they get in and out? Are these "walking dead men" being so close to the core (as happened at Chernobyl)? I'm understanding that several other reactors in the region are also having difficulty being cooled. Is this so? How much of a danger does this present? What is happening with the radioactive waste stored at the facilities?

March 12, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Michael

Want to go and help! How do i go about?asap

March 12, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nancy

I'm worried about All of those children that are now without family, and would be more than happy to adopt, or give a child a loving home. I would like to be informed of such a need, Thank You!

March 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Regina G

I dont have alot to offer but what I do have is fair game, I am willing to go over there and help or bring people here whom have no home no place to live. I am a cna and have always loved my job and honestly feel that it has prepared me for tragitey in life. No one could have prevented this and surely no one would ask for this, America we have our own to help but in return this is who we are the ones whom come to help and right now there are alot of people whom need us, If anyone has info on how to either go or do something here please let me know thanks...

March 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Shishir

Thank CNN for the information. I just donated to International Medical Corps. God help These People.

March 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. francesca

cuenten con la ayuda de chile...

March 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Deep

Seeing this terrible pics we should all be prepared to help these people.I guess there should be a CNN /govt/ a Recognized NGO initiated volunteer cell in every state rather than us guessing where to send the help.And of course we feel sooner we reach out to them better will be the results.We all have some stuff lying idle at home and our refrigerator as well as medical cabinets which we may donate for this noble cause.

March 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Josh

How does a person volunteer if they're not certified for anything? I'm a Pre-Med student right now and would love to volunteer my time because I have no money to give. Is Doctors without Borders doing anything to help and do they need volunteers?

March 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wiseguy

Contact the American Medial Association's medical student division or American Medical Student Association for further volunteer inquiries.

March 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |